ME>DA>ME2>DA2: Perspectives...

SpellAndShield

I haven't post here in eons for a number of reasons, mostly because I have stopped playing DA (and then being very busy with graduate studies) but I have been having these thoughts for a while so I thought I would write them down regardless if someone actually reads it.

The fact is, I got burnt out on DA. Sure, you can get burnt out on any game but I explored every nook and cranny, got every achievement and played most of the DLC (though I didn't bother with the latest ones). DA is clearly a great game and it always will be but I think I can never truly go back to playing (which is a shame since Dark Times has come out and I voice a major NPC; I am Rana, so if you meet this Rana fellow, let me know how he is... :thumbsup:) and the reason isn't just that I burnt myself out on it. About half a year ago I started playing ME2 and really got into it, played it almost as obsessively as I did DA and it struck me how streamlined the game was (in a good way); the combat is great, the story is exhilarating, the music is compelling and captivating and the concept of the hero (Shepard) is an excellent one. I then tried to play ME and got through it once but have never bothered with it again. I couldn't help but notice the reasons why I couldn't really bother with ME; the sequel was just, overall, a much better game. Sure, some of the RPG stuff might have been better in ME but ME2 overall just is a superior game. You might ask, how this is relevant to DA. Well, it is very, very clear that many of the elements that have been alluded to by the developers of DA2 are successful elements already present in the ME(2) universe, i.e. single protagonist of a male/female variety around whom the game centres. You CANNOT truly claim that in DA the game centres around the Warden. Yes, he/she is pivotal and necessary but there is a lot of other stuff going on or in other words, it is about what the Warden must do, i.e. stop the Blight. This is very different to what have heard about Hawke; DA2 is about Hawke and his journey, not about what he must do (and here there is some divergence from the ME(2) universe as ME(2) is about both Shepard and a galaxy wide threat that he/she must stop. Still, the focus of the central protagonist is there and it's an important one. Obviously people really enjoy taking over that role of Shepard/Hawke. You feel important; DA is more a game where you play a role of subtle anonymity, i.e. you are the Warden and being a Warden by its very nature puts you into a position of anonymity as your individuality is essentially subsumed by your status as a Warden in the face of a Blight. I have to say for myself, I prefer taking on the role of a central character.

Dialogue options; this is a minor thing but the voice acting they are adding to DA2 is another clear import from ME(2) and it's a winner. It adds a whole new element to the character and further fleshes him/her out. There might be slightly fewer options but I would rather have the human voice than mere lines (of course people will differ here).

Most importantly, there is the element of streamlining. DA is a great, great game but the lack of streamlining makes it lose points when compared to ME(2) and now, in anticipation of DA2, from all we have heard, I think is a fair assumption that the game will be streamlined on numerous fronts; story, combat, graphics, NPC interaction, etc. Now, I fear I might not have the system to run it and absolutely no money to get a new one (or time being full-time, knee deep in my MSc) but when I add up all these elements I am confident and hopeful that DA2 will be a vastly superior game in the most important ways it NEEDS to be a better game. As I said, I mourn the loss of DA (I uninstalled it long ago) and I will always have a fondness for it but Bioware has been improving and obviously importing successful ideas from its other epic series, ME(2); I think this is a winning strategy. My only true regret is that I might have to wait a year or two after DA2's release to actually get to play it....

I am just curious if any of the things I have said here or feel ring true for other players, not necessarily for the same reasons but perhaps just in anticipation of DA2?

Its not all about the warden? It is certainly more about his choices than what he must do, unless you were referring to his making choices as something he must do but Hawke is going to have to make choices as well. The choices my warden makes and their outcome gives him an ego almost as large as his testicles by the time he hits the landsmeet so he thinks it's all about him especially if he is making a play for the throne himself (he's such a narcissistic [expletive].) :whistling:

As for the voiced main character, it will probably be interesting for the first playthrough or two but I'm betting that by the time I'm on my third or fourth run through I will be looking for the STFU button that many people around here are hoping will be available.

Keep in mind that I haven't played ME or ME2 nor am I likely to in the near future. I do however, plan to get DA2 as soon as the first wave of bug reports comes in or if that list is too big I will wait for a patch.

Adding onto RB's observations, (and I've started ME, but have yet to acquire ME2) I just think that they are two very different approaches to the RPG experience, being developed and provided by two very different teams. Just to pick out one area (that the OP mentions) the "Voiced Protagonist". I am personally against it.

Rusty indicates he'll wait for the first wave of bug reports (and fixes!) before playing DA2. For myself, if "None" isn't a built-in option for the PC's voice duing the CC phase, I'm going to attack the problem as a personl mod challenge, and not play for the first time until I have silenced it. It matters THAT much to me that I don't have someone else's interpretation of what my PC should sound like. (I'll prboably turn it back on around the fourth or fifth time through... :laugh: )

So what some feel was a shortcoming of DA:O when compared to ME/ME2, others particuarly appreciate.

Chacun à son goût! :thumbsup:

Adding onto RB's observations, (and I've started ME, but have yet to acquire ME2) I just think that they are two very different approaches to the RPG experience, being developed and provided by two very different teams. Just to pick out one area (that the OP mentions) the "Voiced Protagonist". I am personally against it.

Rusty indicates he'll wait for the first wave of bug reports (and fixes!) before playing DA2. For myself, if "None" isn't a built-in option for the PC's voice duing the CC phase, I'm going to attack the problem as a personl mod challenge, and not play for the first time until I have silenced it. It matters THAT much to me that I don't have someone else's interpretation of what my PC should sound like. (I'll prboably turn it back on around the fourth or fifth time through... :laugh: )

So what some feel was a shortcoming of DA:O when compared to ME/ME2, others particuarly appreciate.

Chacun à son goût! :thumbsup:

The VO thing...well, some people will hate it and some will love it. Bioware is taking a chance for sure...we'll just have to see.

So, if I could sort of run DA on my lappy I should be able to run DA2 too?

If you could "sort of run" DA on your laptop then you should be able to "sort of run" DA2, "run" without the "sort of" qualifier would be unlikely and from what I have seen in the teasers your video performance might degrade a little.

Yeah, I figured as much. Ugh. No time and more importantly, no money to invest in a new rig. Well, at least there will be a lot of opinions out already by the time I get to actually playing the thing.

Strange how ME2 is better than the first one; the KOTOR games are the opposite. Bioware didn't even complete KOTOR2 :< and they cut out a whole lot of story, so your ending is so unfulfilling (and I liked it so much too :<).

I haven't played either of the ME games, I feel they will be exactly like DA.

But I don't know how DA2 will turn out, I am not overconfident with it. I think from my experience of KOTOR2, my faith in Bioware of making a great game no matter what, is shaken.

So I am quite scared as to how DA2 will be. It is quite disappointing how you can only play Human, especially after the first one, where they give you many choices for your origins.

Strange how ME2 is better than the first one; the KOTOR games are the opposite. Bioware didn't even complete KOTOR2 :< and they cut out a whole lot of story, so your ending is so unfulfilling (and I liked it so much too :<).

But I don't know how DA2 will turn out, I am not overconfident with it. I think from my experience of KOTOR2, my faith in Bioware of making a great game no matter what, is shaken.

So I am quite scared as to how DA2 will be. It is quite disappointing how you can only play Human, especially after the first one, where they give you many choices for your origins.

You can only be one human in ME(2) as well but it is still a great experience. You should try those games. They are truly great.

You can only be one human in ME(2) as well but it is still a great experience. You should try those games. They are truly great.

Maybe I should, still I will never forget KOTOR2 :/.

Maybe I should, still I will never forget KOTOR2 :/.

ME(2) has an amazing story, great combat, great, great music...very interesting NPCs, etc. I think you would really enjoy it. I recommend playing ME first because once you play ME2 you won't want to go back adn don't worry, it's nothing like KOTOR2, it's just a really, really good game.