MO won't open skyrim

Falsename08

***FIXED*** Read da post below this one.

So Skyrim for me was working completely fine until one time when I tried to open it and the game simply... won't.

I use Mod Organizer with a few mods installed, but when I click on 'Run' with SKSE the small black box opens (the bios looking thing) but Skyrim simply doesn't open. Skyrim is 'running' in the task manager and steam tells me that the 'app is already running' but it simply won't launch all the way like it should.

Normally problems with mods is just a matter of organizing them in the right non-conflicting order with loot or just disabling the trouble making mod, but that's usually when the screen actually comesup and then crashes. This problem just doesn't load the normal skyrim screen at all.

The weird part is when I disable all mods it works, so I went through and started enabling the mods until it stops working, but it's not a 'single mod'. It's never the same mod doing the problem, it doesn't matter which are active it always eventually crashes before even loading. I've got an alright rig with 16ram, AMD graphics and can run skyrim smoothly.

Someone please help, I've never encountered this problem before and it's killing me.

Edited by Falsename08

When you look at task manager after the SKSE window has closed is Skyrim in the apps/programs section or under background processes? I've noticed if MOs running tasks thing it shows when locked goes from SKSE Launcher to Tesv.exe and the game window hasn't loaded this problem has occurred and Skyrim will go from the apps/programs section of task manager to the background processes and will be using a static amount of RAM and no other resources rather than showing as not responding or something. It's definitely a frustrating issue. If we're having the same issue I'll message Tannin and see what he says.

I think you may be having the same problem as me, so far I've found numerous mods causing the issue and after reading your post I'm kind of hoping it's a bug with the new version of MO, seeing as it seemed to start happening for me since the update, how about you?

Could you post your system specs as well, mostly wondering what version of windows you have.

EDIT: Dude you just helped me solve an issue that's been driving me insane all weekend! I've been going through hundreds of mods and redoing merges etc. and it seems it's a problem with MO and a new update that Steam's pushed out. They're talking about it over on MOs nexus page, here. This guy seems to have found a temporary workaround until Tannin gets it sorted though:

I *think* I've found a workaround for the problem some people have been having since the recent Steam update. If you're having trouble, I suggest trying this. It's worked for me. For the record, I'm using SKSE, so I can't guarantee that this will work with anyone not using SKSE, although if you're modding Skyrim without SKSE I don't understand you, lol.

Exit completely out of Steam. The process should not be running at all. Start SKSE using Mod Organizer. It will launch a small popup window which will tell you to click "OK" when you're logged into Steam. CLICK OK IMMEDIATELY. Don't wait for Steam to log in. If you've done it correctly, the SKSE launcher will finish running around the same time that Steam pops up with "Logging Into: (insert username here)". Check Task Manager to make sure that TESV.exe is running. If it's not using any CPU or Disk % then this hasn't worked. If it is, however, then you should be golden. Just wait a few seconds for the game to finish loading everything it needs and it should run.

I've tried using this twice to start the game and it's worked both times. All the other times I've tried to run Skyrim through Mod Organizer using my standard mod list (252 active plugins, around 360 active mods) it hasn't worked. Hopefully this will help anyone having problems.

Edited by piperman123

Dear Piperman123

Can I kiss you... on the mouth?
I spent all yesterday reinstalling things and nuking skyrim and trying to find the fix.

It was odd that skyrim started doing this out of no-where, which is why the update to steam makes sense. Nothing's more annoying than a problem you can't find a fix for.

Thanks again.
..... I'm going to kiss you. On the mouth. With my mouth. With tongue.

Duuuuuude ... I took a 6 months break from Skyrim, came back and encountered this problem. At first I thought my computer became slow so it can no longer load my main profile with 200+ mods since I tried with another profile with less than 150 mods and it loaded. I tried so many things like check HDD, check malware, defrag, clean up everything, update drivers, update MO, deactivating/re-installing mods etc ... was ready to re-install Windows even. Glad I found this post just now ... it's loading up just fine again!! Thanks for the workaround. =D

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

NECRO!!

Hey, I was having bunches of issues starting Skyrim/FO4/LOOT/SKSE/etc from ModO 2. I stopped a process running from ModDrop and my problems disappeared. Never used ModDrop for any Bethesda game, but still it makes sense that Drop and Org can't exactly play nice. BTW, ModDrop works great for Torchlight 2 so far.