Shield-attack (Dual wield) mod: Where to start?

BrilliantShade

Hey everyone. I've been modding oblivion for a while now, but I was unhappy with the dual wield mods that are already out there and wanted to create my own. The existing mods are either based on editing the default animations to make it look like the character is attacking with their left hand or they just add a sword mesh in place of a shield, these are alright and kinda create an illusion of dual wielding (Especially Seph's dual wield mod) but I'd rather have more control in dual combat, i.e. to be able to manually attack with the left hand. The closest to this I've found was in one of the combat overhaul mods, can't remember which, that added a shield bash function. It adds the ability to press a key which triggers an animation of 'shoving' the shield forward and in turn doing minor damage to an enemy infront of the character. I'd like a mod that would be very similar to this but instead does a lot more damage (random value between 40% and 70% of the damage done if that weapon was wielded in the right hand instead), and has a better animation than just a shoving one, more like a thrust or stab.

I'm not putting this in the mod request place because I'm not wanting someone else to make it, what I'm asking for is someone to tell me where to start in creating an appropriate animation and modding oblivion to use this, and then how to script the animation to be triggered upon a key-press.

I have blender 2.49b with nif scripts and nifskope, and TES Construction Set (Latest version). Using Windows 7 32 bit.

I have a basic understanding of coding and 3D modelling (Though only in Cinema 4D creating abstract crap xD), and have created a few half life 2 levels with scripting in hammer (not sure if this will help), but no experience in modding oblivion itself, other than following a single tutorial that helps you get used to using the TES Construction Set.

Thanks for your time :)

EDIT: Heh... by "I've been modding oblivion for a while now" I meant that I've been installing them, not creating them. Stupid me.

Actually Tamira made it as a lightsource just like a torch. I said that it would be cool to also use it as a shield so the author updated the mod to include both versions. To use it as a secondary weapon could also be really nice but I don't know if that can be done.. For example right click = Sword attack, Left click = Staff attack.

http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=33934