question about the nature of "oblivion gates"

yoyohobo665

So I'm trying to understand why these gates are referred to as "Gates to Oblivion." I understand that they are INDEED gates to Oblivion, but that is a little to general IMO. The gates specifically lead to Mehrunes Dagon's plane, called the "Deadlands," as can be attributed to the environment and appearance of each gate. (And, why is Dagon's realm constantly referred to as “Oblivion” anyway?) Oblivion encompasses all realms (or planes) of the Daedric Princes, right? Which means Sheogorath’s Madhouse (or Shivering Isles) is part of Oblivion. Normally, I wouldn't nitpick like this, but I find it strange that the “strange door” leading to Madhouse is not considered a Gate to Oblvion-- or is it? I suppose these inaccuracies can be attributed to the ignorance of the mortals that inhabit Nirn. MIRITE?

The Deadland of Mehrunes Dagon is one of the 15 planes of Oblivion, it is the Oblivion itself so i think there is nothing wrong to call Gate to Oblivion. i don't think Oblivion encompasses all realms, each realm has its own name but they are all refered to as Oblivion, i mean Oblivion is the common name for all realms. Like this dog named A, that dog named B but they are both Dog

Exactly my point! Calling the gates “gates to Oblivion” is sort of like calling your dog by saying “dog” instead of by his/her name. I think it would have been much more appropriate to call the gates “Gate to Deadlands” and more importantly, call the game “The Elder Scrolls IV: Deadlands.” Unless of course, It is common amongst the mortals to generalize Mehrunes Dagon’s plane AS Oblivion.

If you read the little loading screen quote things, there's one that says "There are 16 Daedra Princes, each with his own plane of Oblivion," so I guess yeah, the Shivering Isles are a realm of Oblivion. Maybe Bethesda called it "Oblivion" since you visit the realms of a few princes. Peryite, Dagon, Sheogorath, and.... Is there anyone else?