Witch Hunt disappointment

Lehcar

Well, as per Gaider, the original plan was for Morrigan to make that offer to the PC in camp on the night before the big battle, so had she scarpered then the "betrayal" aspect would have a bit more gravitas.

Add to this that the line why did you betray me isn't specific to a player who romanced her (nor one who romances alistair). She does go on to explain that the perceived "betrayal" was merely her leaving, as per your agreement which ties in with her leaving at the end of the game regardless of your choice, thus tying the notion of betrayal to her leaving. I quite often see people on BW social forums posting about how Morrigan "betrayed" them at the end of Origins. I personally think betray is a bit of a misnomer in that context, but apparently many players feel she betrayed them. That's what I took from it anyway.

All in all, the whole climax of the game after the landsmeet is a bit slapdash - the deleted scene for example should have been in the game as the way it stands Morrigan comes off in a highly negative light by offering the DR out of the blue without that scene being in the game. For me, as far as Morrigan goes, everything DR onwards is BioWare making the best of what they've got as there are inconsistencies and wtf moments because of unfortunate cuts made during development.

But to come back to the Morrigan sleeping with Alistair regardless issue because it's news to me- since this issue has never been broached on the Morri thread on the BW boards (And we have dissected pretty much every dev post relating to Morrigan at some point) I find it odd that we'd be unaware of something like this for so long. We've known about the revelation comic naturally. As I understood it based on the discussion that came up in Morri thread on the official forums when Aimo/Gaider put the revelation comic out there, the idea behind the scene was to allow the player to relate to Morrigan a bit more before her offer, and its the first I've heard of it leading to her sleeping with alistair regardless. It's something I'd certainly want to bring up on the official boards tbh (if you're sure that's what they originally planned) and possibly PM Gaider for clarification since it's an area of interest to me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Terra_Ex; I seem to have misread the references to the "Deleted Ritual" and TheOneKnight's mod. I had (pre-? as-)sumed that he had knit together existing material, much as the "Morrigan Restoration Pack" had done, only with a lot less in the way of dialogue triggers and plot-flags to indicate how things fit together.

The mod is here: "Deleted Dark Ritual Scene", and also on the BSN projects page.

But as you mentioned, it's based on the following (quoted from the Description tab):

INTRODUCTION

To the point, this mod simply adds a 3'20'' cutscene showing what happened once Alistair left the room where you were talking to Riordian. We didn't know much about the Dark Ritual Morrigan offers you to save your life, but recently Bioware published a comic, written by David Gaider and Drawn by DA fellow Aimo, that shows the difficult choice Morrigan has to deal with.

I got inspired by this artwork and decided to get it in-game. It was difficult because there was no dialog files with such sentences, so I had to pick up words across all the sound files and mix them together to make new sentences. The result may not be perfect but I was satisfied enough to share it.

This thread has caused me to wonder why... Since neither the Warden, Alistair, Morrigan and the not so secret companion a.k.a. Loghain know at the time of the ritual that Riordan is to fall to his death, why is he excluded from the possibility of getting his final nut with Mori in the DR? What could have made for an interesting plot twist developed into a gaping plot hole.

@Thandal

Ah, no problem then :thumbsup: I was concerned that I'd missed something the devs had posted but it's good to know that's not the case. I'd given thought to restoring the scene in question myself some months back but decided against due to lack of VO, I personally dislike editing speech together since the resultant dialogue feels unnatural (another reason I wish BioWare wouldn't obsess over voiceovers so much, far better in the days of BG2 where new non-voiced conversations/banters could be easily slotted in, but that's getting off-topic.) As an aside, I'd have happily paid BioWare to put in some of the stuff they cut instead of wasting time producing treats like Feastday & DS Chrons (maybe even do what CD Projekt did with the Enhanced Edition of Witcher and fix & polish those rough edges) but yeah I'll end there lest I start ranting :happy:

Ah...I see..... So the mod isn't the actual 'Moriggan's Dark Ritual deleted cutscene' planned by the developer. It's an edited version. Damn.... It hurts me a lot. Imagine yourself being rejected by Morrigan because of Morrigan's fear that love could weaken her. Later on, you find out this same women cries out for Alistair's name that she care only for him and willing to do anything! The whole DR affair seem about saving Alistair's b**t and not about warden PC. To add matter worse, in the end you are presented with epilogue that Morrigon is rumored to have a child leaving you with more question, who's the bas***rd father! The pc dialogue, "Have you finally decide to betray me?" before Morrigan even offer her DR also doesn't help very much because.... huh??? Why the hell do I have to ask that? It's the main reason, that tempt me to find for answer. I thought I could found it in WH. Of course Morrigan's answer about her 'betrayal' is dissapointing because we are not conversing the same subject. I should delete that mod.. But I still do not satisfy with Morrigan's betrayal. Her denial for her love has cause too much damage and confusion...well...at least to me. Pardon me if I don't understand female's feeling because I'm not a female. :( So please help me understand. Denying your affection while cries out other people's name in desparation especially your own best friend ( in this case Alistair ) as show by the mod is very very bad. It's hurt a lot....

@RustyBlade

Morrigan refuse Riordan because he has been a warden for too long. He couldn't live much longer, which explain why it's has to be the most senior member to do the killing blow first. Wardens have shorter life span. I can't recall how it could affect the taint for the baby tho...Anyway, it's in her dialogue. You should try to ask her again.

No Lehcar, the scene is would have been there but that's what you get in cuts. Besides there were other stuff too because they were needlessly cut but they didn't had time to implement them. I still respect Morrigan nevertheless and I would love to find out what she's up to later on as time flies. If I would to install Origins, the first mod that I would install will be TerraEX's mod to find out what I missed and I'll get mod patches and such to fix issues that will be eventually be fixed by BioWare (in twenty years time :tongue: ). Besides when you are developing anything you stick on a strict schedule and sometimes things get cut because

a) they didn't feel right for the character and didn't had time to remake it,

b) it was too restrictive to the player,

c) just too plain stupid, or

d) they ran out of time and funds to make it.

I know there other reasons for the cuts but basically it falls under the four major points that I mentioned. They mostly didn't had time or the funds for the "Alistair/Morrigan talk before the DR" to be implemented before it was locked (this all happened before March) for QA. Remember that it was suppose to be released in March 09 for PC (which was the start of DA2 and a bit into Awakening expansion) but was pushed back for simultaneous release for consoles. This gave us Shale as it was done for the game before the game was locked (again before March) for QA testing and given to DLC division of DA (which we should be happy that it has been increased to create better DLCs than Origins) to bring back. If life was perfect then we could have had a bug-less game with no cuts but it isn't the case in real life.

So Lehcar, Morrigan cares for you as a sister and wants you to live (if you increased approval to "friend", in my male version it's wanting to save her beloved). So in her view, asking Alistair to sire her child to save your life is totally justifiable as it is the only way without sending to their deaths. If the Grey Wardens from Orlais had arrived sooner, then she could be over and done with quickly and no one will be none the wiser. The motivation however is a different issue altogether (depending on how you deal with her) as I don't have enough evidence to justify why she wanted the child in the first place beside that it is important to her. I have no idea what she wants with him but I know that it will be a important plot flag for future DA titles.