A question about multiple accounts

Deleted1217574User

So, if you can't have multiple accounts, why isn't every ban an IP ban? Is it just like a "if we don't catch you you're okay" kinda thing or what? It just hasn't made sense to me, if a user gets banned, they create a second account, which is subsequently banned, accompanied with a threat of IP ban. If they can't create a new account anyway then what difference does it make if their IP is banned? Sorry, just a bit confused about the reasoning here.

So, if you can't have multiple accounts, why isn't every ban an IP ban? Is it just like a "if we don't catch you you're okay" kinda thing or what? It just hasn't made sense to me, if a user gets banned, they create a second account, which is subsequently banned, accompanied with a threat of IP ban. If they can't create a new account anyway then what difference does it make if their IP is banned? Sorry, just a bit confused about the reasoning here.

Because randomly banning IPs can lead to innocent users being blocked from the site. It is also something which takes a bit more effort to put into place and monitor. It's usually only reserved for those who can't seem to get a hint or who otherwise are "special" enough to deserve more severe action.

Yes, and some people post from public computers or the ones at their workplace. It's also possible (or so I was told) for dial-up users (though dial-up is pretty rare where I live) to have randomly-assigned IPs.

Some people, including myself, have dinamic IPs, wich means they can change their IPs every time they want to. For example if I get an IP ban, I will simply restart my router and I will get another IP and if my old IP gets to someone that wants to join Nexus, he/she won't be able to, becouse that IP was banned. I could also get an IP class ban, to prevent me from using other IPs that I have acces to, but that would realy complicate things. I hope you'll understand something from all this IP nonsense.

Cheers,

Pushkatu!