Internet Voting

Mojlnir

I meant as old as most politicians, you know, like in there 90's or something :P

a virus would be funny to see. Somehow the letters

zpi§ÆE╦klopintom←?:

are going to be our next President.

I wonder what image code those Programmers hacked in? :rolleyes: <_<

I've just had a thought - maybe the hackers had a trial run and that's how Arnie got elected. :lol:

Well it is possible. It could work.

Each eligible voter is giving a number. simlar to that of a credit card number <same alithogram (sic)> and when the go to vote they enter in that number. Now the authority that issued that number has that number stored in a database. When number is entered it is stored in a database and the voter can then carry on and vote.

What happens if they hack into the database?? Well say that this server just holds the database of numbers logged. Now someone makes a image of that database after voting is finished. Now that image is presented to a server that holds all LEGIT numbers. The logged numbers are "run of" against the legit numbers and if the numbers logged are "partnerd" up with legit numbers then the vote is vaildated and counted <after number is entered on the net, the vote is stored on another database which is constantly imaged and stored>.

Well it is possible. It could work.

Each eligible voter is giving a number. simlar to that of a credit card number <same alithogram (sic)> and when the go to vote they enter in that number. Now the authority that issued that number has that number stored in a database. When number is entered it is stored in a database and the voter can then carry on and vote.

What happens if they hack into the database?? Well say that this server just holds the database of numbers logged. Now someone makes a image of that database after voting is finished. Now that image is presented to a server that holds all LEGIT numbers. The logged numbers are "run of" against the legit numbers and if the numbers logged are "partnerd" up with legit numbers then the vote is vaildated and counted <after number is entered on the net, the vote is stored on another database which is constantly imaged and stored>.

The only problem I can see with that is that you would have to trust the government not to keep a database of which voter number was issued to whom in order to maintain the idea of private voting. Of course, some people don't really care about this, but some would view it as an invasion of privacy.

The only problem I can see with that is that you would have to trust the government not to keep a database of which voter number was issued to whom in order to maintain the idea of private voting. Of course, some people don't really care about this, but some would view it as an invasion of privacy.

Well not nessacirly. You could just post the numbers to each eligble voter anon. Example. You live in <insert ameriacn town> and there is 100 eligble voters. The governing body allocates 100 randomly generated numbes for that town. Randomly one of the numbers is sent randomly to a eligble voter with no records of which number was assigned to who but which voter has been sent one.

The only problem I can see with that is that you would have to trust the government not to keep a database of which voter number was issued to whom in order to maintain the idea of private voting.  Of course, some people don't really care about this, but some would view it as an invasion of privacy.

Well not nessacirly. You could just post the numbers to each eligble voter anon. Example. You live in <insert ameriacn town> and there is 100 eligble voters. The governing body allocates 100 randomly generated numbes for that town. Randomly one of the numbers is sent randomly to a eligble voter with no records of which number was assigned to who but which voter has been sent one.

Yes, but would you trust the government to do that? Personally, I wouldn't, but mybe that's just me being paranoid.

*Jumps under table to hide from them*

:lol: yea I would be a bit suspcious <especailly since it is the USA goverment>. Me personally I will abstain my vote in the comming elections. I will not vote for a party for the sake of not wanting to have another party in. That and there is no partys that "tickle my politcal fancy". :rolleyes: B)

This sounds a lot like how College Loans are dealt with in the states. Each person eligible has to register with the government and is given a PIN number that they have to use along with other ways of securing identity. So registering each voter wouldn't be a problem it's how to manage the information that makes it liable to be tampered.

Voting over the internet = bad idea. I think it would be more feasible to record a persons' choices on to a hard drive or even directly write the results onto a DVD. Then another program is used at a more central location (say the state) which tallies the results on non networked machines. Making the voting process more efficient can be acheived without use of the internet, thus removing the possibility of hacking. It certainly would make voting standardized, which is what we really need concerning voter reform, but would all of this be cost effective if the country uses the same form in the booth?

Not to sound like a conspircacy theorist, but I think the problem lies not with the system being hacked, but rather designed to allow for underhanded actions. The company that is supplying the majority of American electronic voting machines is Diebold Inc. which is engaged in developing election systems, currency processing, and electronic security, to name a few. This is not bad at all, though what raises the warning is that Diebold chairman Walden O'Dell is a Pioneer contributor to W's campaign. That means he has given at least 100,000 USD.

Can we spell "conflict of interest?"

Well you are correct there. Like most IT departments/companies the threat of an attack is more likely to come from inside your own company. And so you can saftly say that this may be a pssibilty with online voting. As you said Mojlnir, someone tampering with the results. And im afraid that because pple will be pple that finding a candidate that WOULDNT tamper with the results may prove to be lost cause.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not old enough to vote yet but i do have an opinion about internet voting. If people can hack into some of the biggest companies data bases that have tons of fire walls and protections whats ganna stop them from hacking into the polling info places and rigging the elections??? And also couldn't you just create a ton of false identaties and vote for them?? So i say no way to internet voting until they can make it so sucure that they can tell what/who won in an hour of all the votes being posted (unlike Florida) and make it entirely that no person could rig the voting.

Archived