Howto: "Downpatching" (cuz of 6.0)

LibraExAnima

DI186 just said he/she merged the latest patch with their mods? Hmmm I'm going to try this. I already merged my mods with the new 6.0 patch, maybe if it also copy it into the ptach folder? MEH! I'll give it a try and post back later (I like the new chest and tint table btw)

I did what DI186 said and it works fine for me. About 2 hours of playing and no bugs.

I had already tried merging the new patch with my mods, so the solution presented in the OP didn't seem applicable to me. But what DI186 suggested works. Its almost like the game after patching just does not read anything from the merged directory.

• 3 weeks later...

Neither of these solutions are working for me. If I use a Patch 6 merged file then the game won't start up. If I use my old Patch 5 merged file, it crashes a second or two after the loading screen bringing me into the game world.

Neither of these solutions are working for me. If I use a Patch 6 merged file then the game won't start up. If I use my old Patch 5 merged file, it crashes a second or two after the loading screen bringing me into the game world.

This is exactly what happens for me as well. I can't load a save or start a new game as it crashes one or two seconds after loading.

Edit: nevermind. I forgot to click "force rescan of patch". When I did that, it all worked.

Edited by nu1mlock

None of those solutions worked for me.

I created a new merged folder using the force rescan option and then renamed the merged file to patch and the patch file to "PatchVI" and the game wouldn't start.

Then I renamed the folders again to their original names, deleted the pacth folder content and put the content of the merged folder there but the result was the same.

So I had to give up and use my backed up patch folder; the game starts now but no mods at all.

I think our hope, for the moment, is that someone upload the old patch 5 folder so we can use it.

Given the size of that folder I think that's unlikely.

For those fortunate of you who haven't yet updated to patch 6 a word of advise: uncheck the " automatically keep my games up to date" in the application settings of Origin, is the only way,for now, to have the mods working.

PS: Bioware has oficially stated that they don't care about mods and if one of theit patches break them, well, they're sorry.

You can read the statement in a post called Bioware f**** us again in the main page of the forums (sorry, I don't know how to paste the link)

Edited by Leoviga

Hey, just want to thank you for posting a fix to this problem! ^.^ I was so worried my mods were permanently disabled but someone sent me a link and everything works again! Seriously, thank you for the solution. :smile:

What mods are you running?

If it helps anyone, I wrote a tutorial for rolling back to patch 5 after updating to patch 6. It assumes you have a copy of patch 5. Note: "Force rescan" does not work properly since patch 5

Mods with patch 6
It is currently impossible to use mods with Patch 6. However it is still a good thing to update your game and use the rollback method described bellow. That way you will not be bother by the automatic update every time you lauch the game or have to play offline.

Rolling back to patch 5
If you already updated to Patch 6 and want to go back to patch 5, follow these instructions.
PLEASE NOTE that by doing so, you will not be able to play Jaws of Hakkon DLC or have the fixes in patch 6. You will however be able to run mods again.

Part 1 - Setting up the game folders
------------------------------------------------------
1) In the "Update" folder of your game, Rename the folder "Patch" to "Vanilla_v6";
2) Create a new folder and named it "Patch";
3) If you have a copy of the patch 5, put the Data folder and the package.mft file in that newly created "Patch" folder
4) Make a copy of the Patch folder now containing the patch 5 and named it Vanilla_v5. It's now you're backup copy of patch 5 in case you need a fresh one.

Part 2 - Merging the mods
----------------------------------------
5) In your DAI Mod Manager folder, delete the Patch.daimod. This step is required only the first time you merged files after rolling back to patch 5.
6) Launch DAI MoD Manager, select the mods you want to merge then hit "Merge". You can save the result whereever you want. In my case I use \Documents\BioWare\MERGED

Part 3 - Using the mods
-------------------------------------
7) Copy the Data folder and the package.mft file that DMM just created
:cool: Paste it in the "Patch" folder created at step 2
9) Launch the game and enjoy your mods once more!

IMPORTANT:
Whenever you'll need to merge mods again, first copy/paste the content of the Vanilla_v5 folder in the Patch folder then run steps 5 to 9

If you want to go back to using Patch 6, copy/paste the content of Vanilla_v6 in the Patch folder. You will not be able to use mods but will be able to play the DLC.

EDIT: Problem solved. Anyone who reads my problem and has the same one the solution is simple but a bit time consuming. In your main folder delete everything except Installer, support, data, core and the exe file. Empty your update folder too (save that vanilla Patch 5 somewhere). Have Origin repair the game. Open the game on Patch 6 vanilla, I even loaded my character. Quit out and merge your mods with your saved vanilla Patch 5 file. Tada. No more crashes. For some reason running the game was important, don't skip that part.

For a while I just stayed in offline mode and kept playing patch 5 with my mods. Then I updated to patch 6 and set it aside in a "Vanilla Patch 6" folder. I have maintained a "Vanilla Patch 5" 414mb folder so I set myself to rolling it back.

Now despite every combination of force scan, which I'm lead to believe doesn't do anything anymore, deleting and not deleting patch.diamod and everything else I can think of, my game will crash a few seconds after loading. I noticed early on that the Mod Manager marked the official patch as version 7, aka Patch 6. So eventually I just deleted Patch 6's folders altogether. Now at least it says version 6 (Patch 5) but still no luck.

Anyone had this issue and resloved it?

To confirm

-I have made sure to delete patch.daimod

-Patch V6 isn't on my computer anymore at all

-Have tried with and without force scan

-Have (usually) remembered to make my merged folder into my patch folder before running

-Game loads and doesn't complain about save made with a newer patch, just freezes then crashes a few moments after it's ready

-Have tried loading a couple of different saves

Edited by GKnightMagic