Pressing Matters Alternate Ending

ButchDeLoria101

So, here's my basic problem: in the quest Pressing Matters, where you have to dismantle a bottle cap press in the Sunset Sarsaparilla Bottling Plant for Alice McLafferty, there is only one option: to take apart the machine (taking out the "important looking parts"). Seeing as lying is possible in many other quests in the series (like in FO3, giving Moira a frag mine and saying you went to Minefield, programming the Auto-Doc to perform an autopsy on the living Caesar, or taking the HELIOS One plant for yourself to power ARCHIMEDES II), why didn't Obsidian let you keep the bottle cap press up and running, and then lie to McLafferty?

My request is simply an (Optional) path that lets you keep the press and use it; perhaps 50 caps for every chunk of scrap metal, 10 caps from a tin can, etc (might be a good idea to nerf this, money is easy enough to get in New Vegas already). Basically, for the menu that appears when using the bottle cap press, add a third option: Keep the machine for yourself, and lie to McLafferty. The quest end dialogue wouldn't need to change, just to make a dialogue option that has the <Lie> tags on it (and that isn't even necessary).

As a little side gripe with Obsidian, if your intelligence/science/repair/whatever is high enough, I'd like for the dialogue to dismantle it not be "take out the important looking parts." Perhaps, if you're smart/adept enough, you could take out the part, tell her it's dismantled, go back, repair it, and THEN use it as a cap crafter. Perhaps it could be possible to modify it (with high enough repair) to press out Legion Denarii and Aureii and NCR money (could make sense, if you consider a label-maker being in the same room), requiring metal and those destroyed/burned/singed books scattered throughout the game for paper. It would give a reason to pick the damned things up, other than for half a cap.

You know, I wondered the same thing myself, I really wanted to keep it for myself and make some counterfeit caps :P

I'm a little busy at the moment, but when I have some spare time, I shall look into adapting this :)

This is exactly how I thought the quest was supposed to go. Thank you for reminding me about idea.

I fully support this idea.

I've been meaning to do this, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I already have a mod out that lets you use the bottlecap press to print caps, I just need to add or tweak things to allow for a different ending to the quest.