Your best game ever?

evildead789

"Best game ever" is such a broad phrase to use. You can never cite just one. My favorites are the ones that you can go back to over, and over, and over again, and they will never truly dull. Mostly older games have that effect, unfortunately. Like I remember the first time I played The Curse of Monkey Island. Several years later, the game still hasn't lost its touch. That makes it a gem. And there were a lot of gems made back then. Modern games, well, not to make it a question of age (I'm only 22), lack that luster. However, to make the argument of "best ever", even though I'm mostly uncomfortable in not using that phrase loosely, I can tell you what game series I've enjoyed the most. No, it's not Final Fantasy. It's a more recent series, actually. And it did not start out as one. It's called Legacy of Kain. Seriously one of the best written games series to date. If you were old enough to play it back in 1996, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain would have put its mark on you. I guarantee it. It was a very obscure game and wasn't recieved broadly. But it had great story and the voiceacting was suberb.

To emphasise, it was an Ultima type 2d environment, but you kept on going because you wanted to know the rest of the story, and above all listen to the actors play it out.

Then came Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance. I can not recommend this series enough for those who prefer story next to gameplay. Sadly most of these are scarce to find these days, especially Blood Omen. The others may be more easily acquired as they were widely known internationally and sold better, but I'd recommend getting the older ones (Blood Omen, Soul Reaver) on PS1 as they're a *censored* to get working on a PC.

My final recommendation is that you play them in order, or you will find yourself to be very confused indeed.

@pitch,weren't that the years of quake and unreal, i surely missed that because of those. Not to mention halflife in 1998. Delta force, red alert , it were the golden years.

It sure was. I miss the many LANs I used to have playing Quake 2 and Red Alert and Team Fortress to the early hours of the morn. Ah, good times. Yeah, you could say that was the golden years of PC gaming. Most definitely.

Speaking of HalfLife, ever played one of its more original mods, Natural Selection? The group that made it has developed their own game called Natural Selection 2 with updated graphics. If you ever played it, you should check it out.