I have a fear.

Keanumoreira

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain the "not quite" part of your post? We seem to be on the same page, yet not. D:

When you said modern society was dependent on electricty, it sounded in a way that pitty's the individual, as in, the slightest hiccup would drive someone mad. It wasn't clear wether or not if you were referring to society in general as in abroad, and how things would change without it.

I dunno, it sure seems like I phrased things in a plural form. "We go insane" doesn't sound very individualistic. And "modern society" sounds a bit like...yeah.

You befuddle me, but nevertheless, moving on!

I fear losing a loved one. I'm sure everyone does, but it's gotta happen. =/

I dunno, it sure seems like I phrased things in a plural form. "We go insane" doesn't sound very individualistic. And "modern society" sounds a bit like...yeah.

You befuddle me, but nevertheless, moving on!

I fear losing a loved one. I'm sure everyone does, but it's gotta happen. =/

Ughhh...nevermind, this is clearly not going anywhere. Offtopic anyway, so yes, may the befuddlement cease.

Just one sec Keanu.

I want to put my 2 cents in about your energy thing.

"Not quite A, without electricity, which, mind you, runs our lives, billions of people will die. There will be no running water, no immediate food, famine, disease, not to mention all those who will die in the first days in the hospital without life giving power to keep them alive. Take New York for example. Traffic was backed up for days, and many people had panic attacks, most forced to camp out in Central Park. Sure, we could live in the countryside, but those without the knowledge to do so/ survive, the resulting chaos and riots, and the overwhelming movement of humans would far out weigh that."

'No running water' - Yes, there will be. Have you heard of a river or a lake? :P

'No Immediate food' - You can live off ration packs for a while, then go hunting.

'Famine' - See my last point.

'Disease' - We lived with few diseases before electricity didn't we?

'People in hospital dying' - You got me there.

EDIT: You know what? After reading the final part of your post again, I have realised that it is completely hopeless. We will all die without power... :mellow:

'No running water' - Yes, there will be. Have you heard of a river or a lake? :P

'No Immediate food' - You can live off ration packs for a while, then go hunting.

'Famine' - See my last point.

'Disease' - We lived with few diseases before electricity didn't we?

'People in hospital dying' - You got me there.

You sure oversimplify the situation.

People often take for granted that we can go across the street to the grocery store to buy whatever we need to eat at a moment's notice, the food fresh and ready to go. It hardly crosses our minds where that food actually comes from, because we simply assume it'll be at the store, nicely preserved. Without electricity, there goes the entire store within a matter of days. And thus, all the food and stuff too. You're correct about water CommanderCrazy, but consider hot water. It just comes from the faucet, right? We depend on these aspects heavily now, and survival, relatively speaking, is incredibly easy. I mean, what happens in a blackout? Even if it is a mere hour, it is the news story of the following night, people recalling about how they had to break out some canned food, had to take a cold shower and had to bust out some candles. People aren't all trained to interact well in the wilderness here in modern society, and therefore panic. The city never sleeps as the saying goes, because the lights are always on. We basically need it, and even as powerful as our energy systems may be, it isn't reliable enough. (On the side note, the constant light has been claimed in some studies to mess with our biological clocks, thinking it is day when it actually isn't.)

The hospital is a definite case though, and I know that having been raised by both a nurse and a surgeon. And although we have survived with both famine and disease, hospitals can extend the life of those who would normally lose it those causes with the help of obviously, electricity. Of course, whether to do that or not may be a very moralistic choice, and is for another time.

In short, as I believe I already hinted at, we do have quite something to fear. Heck, one flicker means a computer or security system shutting down for a bit until backup kicks in, which is enough time for who knows what.

I have a terrible fear of water. Or rather seas and water pools, that kind of stuff. Makes me panic even in games. :pinch:

It's especially frightening if I can't see the bottom.

I share that fear to an extent, I do dislike open water even in games but it's more the fear of what is in the water that really gets me. I hate fish with teeth and even in games I can't look at them. The slaughterfish in oblivion would freak me out completely haha.

I'm afraid of heights. My head starts to spin and my feet fail to help me out much...

Also, I'm afraid that I'll run out of beer.

Well, if we lose power for the rest of time, I and a select few will survive.

I have done many survival courses and have actually gone on a few serious 'roughing it' style camping trips. It's not easy, but once you're 'in the zone' it can be a truly awesome experience.

Bear Grylls would survive too. Dont tell me you don't know who Bear Grylls is...

I fear a lack of control. For example, I'm quite happy to hold a tarantula, but if a housespider drops on me whilst I'm reading, it'll scare to bejesus out of me. I'm not scared of the spider as much as I am scared of my inability to control its actions.

And call me niave if you like, but I think I'd actually enjoy trying to survive without electricity. Well, for a while anyway!