To cheat, or not to cheat?

JohannesGunn

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use cheat mods or console commands?

First, I would like to thank all those brave (or foolish, depending on your viewpoint) enough to vote in my poll. Thank You! I never expected to get this many votes. The results seem to indicate that a majority of users (or at least voters) like to cheat. Fair enough, I like to cheat myself. For those of you who don't cheat, more power to you, I respect your decision. I just couldn't do it myself.

Note for the moderators:Have you tried those new Mr. Clean Magik Erasers for removing all that spam grease from your ban hammers? Just a suggestion...

Edited by JohannesGunn

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im very impulsive...So i have to use mods not to self rectify cheating (i.e fast travel and using the console) Its very very easy to rectify cheating for me Since I have to use a laptop now which JUST meets the minimum requirments So i tend to Tgm a lot just to cease fustration from combat lag, another real problem i have is with the mini games, I played fallout 3 since it came out constantly till NV game out so...They have absolutly no interest to me whatsoever in any way, so i resort to cheating. I love to roleplay and i never cheat first 2 playthroughs(With amazing self resistance mind you). NV has a lot of bugs too and broken quests so sometimes console commands are needed(which ends me having to turn no console off).

It's a single player game open to modding. When you can make the rules up as you go, how do you even define cheating?

At first I used TCL to get through a lot of invisible walls, but later decided they are present for a reason (even if I don't agree with it on principle). Also, since I've gotten used to shooters with regular checkpoints, I sometimes forget to hit F5 after a few tough fights. In those cases, I'll use TGM to "reset the playing field" so to speak.

If anything though, I put more in to making things harder.

I had to vote "yes" because I have occasion to use console commands while creating and testing mods.

But the real gray area is what other than the console would be considered cheating? Some mods might more obviously fit the bill if they add "god" items or weapons and armor, while others can be debated. I use custom companions which makes combat easier at times and lets me carry more stuff, so they could easily be considered cheats in a way. But on the other hand, the vanilla game provides us with companions, so (supposedly) the developers have taken companions into account when balancing the game, in which case companions would not be considered cheats.