Curious Question: Black Panels?

perfectlydiverse

I've been exploring the creation kit and just decided, after going through the basic tutorial, to just browse some of the levels already made. So I started surfing around Asilvund01. In the process I zoomed out to get a top view of the entire map... and I found black panels placed everywhere. I thought they might have just been a way the creators premapped their layout before starting to work, but it doesn't look the same as the final layout, so I'm not sure. Anyone know why those black panels are there. It seems a bit pointless to me, because it's just unneeded data floating out in space, but I could be wrong.

Black planes are used to hide areas from the local map. For example if you enter a dungeon which has a shortcut exit after the boss fight, without black planes you would see the shortcut. But since they placed them there you will only see the shortcut tunnel when you go through the shortcut tunnel.

Another usage is to hide floor or ceiling tiles. So you created an interior, placed your walls but you just want to place the walls at the middle of the floor tile. Without black planes everyone would see this on the local map.

Edited by heromaster

They are because the local map is just a snapshot of all contents of the cell minus actors and objects which have 'Hide On Local Map' checked. The planes are placed so high that they can cover everything below in black, hence the name. If they would lie on the floor, they just would hide the floor tiles but everything above would be visible.