Removable weapon mods

gnrbrown

I second this, I have no idea why the devs let this go, its silly, am I welding the mod on?

exactly. I love a lot of these rifle mods, and Scopes are great for wasteland exploring. but when I get into an old basement or some random vault diving, it'd be nice to take the scope off without needing a second rifle.

From Bethesda's GECK FAQ:

It is not presently possible to read which mods a weapon has equipped, by script or otherwise.

Weapon Mods can be scripted. However, they do not run their OnDrop or OnEquip blocks when they are attached to a weapon. If the script contains OnAdd blocks, the game will crash when the mod is attached. In addition, attached Weapon Mods are effectively destroyed and merged into the weapon itself- they do not run their scripts, and cannot be detected using the GetEquipped function.

Presently, through scripting, it is not possible to attach a mod to a weapon and not possible to remove it later.

Mods are implemented by swapping the model, not by adding components to/revealing components from a single pre-specified model. This means that the number of models required increases exponentially; 2 models for 1 mod, 4 models for 2 mods, and 8 models for 3 mods. This reduces the former technique of hiding weapon subsections to change the weapon's appearance, and contributes to larger package sizes when distributing plugins.

^^ This is why weapons mods are HUGE compared to Fallout3. And, it's also why things like 20th century weapons (with add-on's) will take forever and a day to port over to Fallout. Mod authors have to make a separate model for every single attachment. Instead of just adding / hiding parts of a weapon dynamically... you've got to include models and textures for every single variation. For example, DreadWolf's Glock 18c and Glock 20 pack that I recently added to Reload requires *20* separate meshes. Each of those have to be aligned for iron sights, etc. It's a real nightmare, to be honest.

Basically, the moment you attach a weapons mod to a weapon, it is destroyed, and the scripts attached to it are rendered useless because it no longer exists. In addition, the parts of the script you'd NEED to keep track of what mods have been attached to what weapon will CRASH the game if you try.

My gut feeling is they didn't get this feature "finished" in time for production. Maybe we'll see an update later???

From Bethesda's GECK FAQ:

It is not presently possible to read which mods a weapon has equipped, by script or otherwise.

Weapon Mods can be scripted. However, they do not run their OnDrop or OnEquip blocks when they are attached to a weapon. If the script contains OnAdd blocks, the game will crash when the mod is attached. In addition, attached Weapon Mods are effectively destroyed and merged into the weapon itself- they do not run their scripts, and cannot be detected using the GetEquipped function.

Presently, through scripting, it is not possible to attach a mod to a weapon and not possible to remove it later.

Mods are implemented by swapping the model, not by adding components to/revealing components from a single pre-specified model. This means that the number of models required increases exponentially; 2 models for 1 mod, 4 models for 2 mods, and 8 models for 3 mods. This reduces the former technique of hiding weapon subsections to change the weapon's appearance, and contributes to larger package sizes when distributing plugins.

^^ This is why weapons mods are HUGE compared to Fallout3. And, it's also why things like 20th century weapons (with add-on's) will take forever and a day to port over to Fallout. Mod authors have to make a separate model for every single attachment. Instead of just adding / hiding parts of a weapon dynamically... you've got to include models and textures for every single variation. For example, DreadWolf's Glock 18c and Glock 20 pack that I recently added to Reload requires *20* separate meshes. Each of those have to be aligned for iron sights, etc. It's a real nightmare, to be honest.

Basically, the moment you attach a weapons mod to a weapon, it is destroyed, and the scripts attached to it are rendered useless because it no longer exists. In addition, the parts of the script you'd NEED to keep track of what mods have been attached to what weapon will CRASH the game if you try.

My gut feeling is they didn't get this feature "finished" in time for production. Maybe we'll see an update later???

Um, did you really get that from the FAQ? I ask because they contradict themselves, first they say it's impossible, then it says it's very time consuming?

Also by the explanation of how the mods are done, they already have all the models they need to reverse the process, no new ones would need to be created unless you add a weapon mod that was not present in the stock game before.

I know it would be time consuming but not impossible. You would just reverse what the program did to add the mod on. You would put the mod on gun A and that gun is destroyed and becomes gun B, then you just program it to do the opposite when you take a mod off. Mod is clicked off, program destroys gun B and calls up the model for gun A again, the program doesn't need to remember anything they are separate, Im no good at programing but I know what a program can do, and this can be done.

This was my understanding also. I've messed around with the geck and made my own weapons from existing mods and I see the process in geck to create weapon mods in the weapon properties. But there is a script that does the model swap when I left click the weapon mod in my pipboy. I can still enter the mod menu for that weapon in my pipboy and the items are still listed. They are just greyed out. If it was allowed to left click them again to de-quip, like any other equipment, than it would just use model mod 1-2 instead of 1-2-3. But this is now entering a programming stage well beyond my ability. Im sure it's possible but the commitment to gettting that done is probably a lot for anyone.

• 3 weeks later...