Stoopid Noob modding question!

DBell5

New player, new game & machine organizer, so please bear with me! I've set up a PC system for our teen grandson; don't play, myself, so not entirely sure what I'm doing (understatement...)

He is playing SkyRim, working without problems, and has been asking for some of the mods he sees other gamers are running.

I downloaded, installed, and can run Mod Organizer, no problem.

I downloaded several free mods, most recently was Lord of the Rings Weapons Mod.

I start and log in to Steam. Launch Mod Organizer and open the .rar archive of LOTR Weapons. Opens successfully. Hit Run and MO unoacks the mod, and finally seems to have successfully installed it.

LOTR Weapons is checked off, two other mods we tried before are un-checked.

Exit MO and re-enter Steam, select SkyRim, and Play.

Grandson reports no mods working.

Please help! I'm losing all computer wizard cred...

Dave

I think your problem here is that you did not run Skyrim from Mod Organizer. If you just load from steam, the mods will not activate. To launch Skyrim from Mod Organizer, you have to follow these steps. First off, you need to download SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) link to download: http://skse.silverlock.org/ . On the website, click on installer from the current build. Then run the installer. After that, go in MO and click on the drop down list at the top right. Select SKSE and hit run, you have to do this every time you run Skyrim. If SKSE does not show up, select edit and type for the title "SKSE" without the quotes and in the binary, copy paste the file path for skse_loader.exe (it should be in the skyrim data folder). I hope all this info helps.

I did (most of the time) run SkyRim from within MO - when I hit Run, it asked me to launch SkyRim, before it could proceed. But you mentioned something I didn't know about, SKSE.

I take it that without that running, no mods will work?

watch this, u dont need 2 dl any of the mods he suggests but he gives a grate and in depth tutorial on moding skyrim as well as how to set up a skse skyrim launch icon on your desktop. if u have the time watch the entire searies

Edited by veen21

I did (most of the time) run SkyRim from within MO - when I hit Run, it asked me to launch SkyRim, before it could proceed. But you mentioned something I didn't know about, SKSE.

I take it that without that running, no mods will work?

It's asking you to launch Steam, not Skyrim. You must have Steam running in the background before MO will launch Skyrim for you. You have to launch Skyrim through Mod Organizer for your mods to show up, because MO uses a virtual file for your mods. Mods are not actually placed inside your Skyrim Data folder with MO like they are with Nexus Mod Manager, so if you launch the game outside of MO, you won't see them in game.

SKSE is a script extender, and for certain mods you do need it, but not all mods require it. The LoTR Weapon pack will work just fine without SKSE. It's for mods which require expanded scripting, like Frostfall, for example.

I'd really encourage you to watch the video series veen21 posted. As well as this one, also from Gopher, on Mod Organizer. He explains everything thoroughly and has taught many people how to mod with his videos, including myself. :)

Thanks to you all - these tutorials sound like they will get us there quickly! You have been very helpful.

And DurtyNelly, sorry, I did mean to say I launched Steam in the background; since SkyRim is all we are running in the Steam environment, I tend to think of them as one in the same...

Dave

How old is your grand? Skyrim by itself is not suitable for children and is limited to over 13 for a reason. Then many mods are rated for even older for various reasons such as excessive gore, nudity, sexual content and adult themes. So you will need to watch what you download for him.

I have allowed several of my own grandkids to play on my Skyrim ( yeah I am old enough to have grandkids over 13) - cleaned up for younger eyes. And have seen that several of them did not take to it - and tend to try to play as if it were a simple kill everything you see or use the console as a cheat to bypass anything that is even slightly difficult for them. Then whine when they attack the first person they meet and are immediately attacked by everyone in the village.

Please try to hold off on activating any mods until after they have completed the intro quest and exited the cave. It is heavily scripted and any mod that includes a script can cause serious problems and crash the game. The intro is essentially a tutorial and teaches a new player how to move, how to pick things up, how to equip weapons and armor, how to talk to people and a lot more how to. Be sure to make a permanent save after exiting the cave before piling on mods - or you may have to repeat that intro over several times - it gets old fast.

(Hint - do not kick the chickens in those villages. The townspeople take a hard line on maltreating their livestock)

And DurtyNelly, sorry, I did mean to say I launched Steam in the background; since SkyRim is all we are running in the Steam environment, I tend to think of them as one in the same...

Dave

No worries, Dave. :smile: I just wanted to make sure. I know what you mean about thinking of them as one and the same. Skyrim was my only game for a long time. Now I need a new SSD since the one I bought for Steam because of "no desire to play anything but Skyrim" is almost full. :laugh:

How old is your grand? Skyrim by itself is not suitable for children and is limited to over 13 for a reason. Then many mods are rated for even older for various reasons such as excessive gore, nudity, sexual content and adult themes. So you will need to watch what you download for him.

He's 14 and quite mature for his age (in many ways, not all; that's how it is with teens!)

Gore is pretty much part of his gaming experience, but we are being careful about "adult" issues...

I appreciate your specific comments and game play hints, too.

Will be sure he reads and pays attention...

Dave