Skyrims kind of Fantasy bums me out

KaiHatia

Ahh,it bums him out,so sad.Myself i think you're a troll but who knows?I am on my 16th character in Skyrim i played Witcher 2 twice.

Edited by thomriis

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple of things I'd like to comment on here. I believe the statement that the average age of Skyrim players is between 12 and 18 years is totally off. I'd put money down on there being more 40+ year old players than teens. Why? Because it attracts those "olde folks" who played D&D before PCs were available at a store near you. Those D&D players who made the bridge actually used their floppy disc PCs to streamline the bulkiness of the rpg by bringing the multitude of charts and even 20 sided die rolls into their computers.

The other statement I'm taking exception to is the blanket statement about low quality mods for Skyrim. I just pulled up the Nexus front page and see there are 39,825 flies for Skyrim alone on Nexus today. Even if only 1% of these "qualify" as high quality mods, that's nearly 340 outstanding mods available here alone. By simple laws of probability the statement has no merit.

I personally think the developers could have done a better job with the NPCs in the game, however with a few mods found on this site I've even "fixed" that so it's no longer an issue for my own enjoyment of the game.

Still haven't finished my first play-through of Skyrim but I can all ready guarantee it won't be my last.

Excactly.

were all old folks with long white beards.

The Nexus would probably benefit from something like a curated "gold" section containing only mods that are high quality and actually improve the game in some way.

This is an interessting Idea, but it would require care and maintenance, especialy when you wanna make it about the possibility loosing their gold status. But the idea is interessting. There is way to much "palace guard armor made playable" kind of mods.

Its funny lol, Youre posting your opinion here in the Skyrim section of the Nexus, And then youre getting angry cause people has a different opinion, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?

Post in the witcher section instead and im sure more would agree with you.

Okay then let me clarifie the point once more.

This isn't about Skyrim vs the Witcher 2. The Witcher 2 just serves as example of another kind of fantasy story telling. And so for i'am not interessted in any meaningless "well maybee you should go witcher 2 games forums then phephephe" Statements, because it just shows that you don't get the point at all.

Lachdonin

As far as 'earthly intentions' vs 'prophecy and twilight zone monsters'... Well, yeah, sure. A lot of people on the Bethesda Forums would probably agree with you there. However, doing so requires you to decode that Tamriel is like our world, rather than following dramatically different rules. Gravity doesn't even exist in Tamriel as we understand it...

It doesn't matter how things would work out in Tamriel. Another Friend of mine started to watch Game of Thrones a while ago, and normaly he hates the Fantasy Genre. He started to realy like it, says because the Story would still suck him in without the Dragons and Zombies and that stuff, because without these this story also could be told. In Witcher 2 you have also this Twillight kind of Realities were Monsters come out of to cause havoc, but the whole life of the average Men in this fantasy world evolve around that. They have other things on their mind then the Witcher or even the War of their Kingdoms. There is this one line this friend of me told me from the Thrones series, that the common folk just prays for Harvest and Rain and doesn't mind the shemes and games the nobility is playing.

Remove the Dragons from Skyrim and what is left? Everything evolves around the dragons and the rest seams to be half cooked.

And before other halfwits now go on telling me about "hey maybee you should then do Game of Thrones stuff", i would ask them to scram, because i want this to be about the more fundamental of story telling and character building. And i never read or watched any of the GoT stuff.

N0mad

Just a couple of things I'd like to comment on here. I believe the statement that the average age of Skyrim players is between 12 and 18 years is totally off. I'd put money down on there being more 40+ year old players than teens. Why? Because it attracts those "olde folks" who played D&D before PCs were available at a store near you. Those D&D players who made the bridge actually used their floppy disc PCs to streamline the bulkiness of the rpg by bringing the multitude of charts and even 20 sided die rolls into their computers.

And i think it was a great thing that proud nerds made all the development from Dungeons and Dragons Dices to 1080p Skyrim, but you don't get the point i was making. The biggest consumers of videogames are still children. If it wouldn't, Skyrim wouldn't be the way it is.

First of all: You can't spell. Just pointing that out.

Second of all: If you think TES is cliched, you clearly don't understand TES.

Third of all: Let me get this straight. You're saying that TES is bad because it focuses on original concepts, rather than taking all of its characters and plots from the things everyone can look out the window and see? Because...it creates a universe very different from ours, rather than virtually identical with a couple animals changed?

And...you seem to be making the case that it isn't gritty enough. Because, you know, we need more childish loleveryoneisevil, look how dark we can be, because gore and boobs, settings. Yes, Skyrim is just one big ray of sunshine. 75% of the characters you come across certainly aren't jerks at all. Most of the NPCs totally respect you, rather than being disdainful and occasionally racist, and there are absolutely no beheadings in town squares whatsoever. Except, you know, that beheading in a town square in the first ten minutes of the game.

First of all: You can't spell. Just pointing that out.

No, you ain't just "pointing that out" because the spelling is exactly that very thing everyone can see for himself. You are somehow angry at me that i don't like things the way you like them and now you feel the need to piss at my cart. If you are not interessted then scram, i'am not interessted in opinions that just wanna tell me things are right how they are. If you like it how it is now, then just go on. Do your thing instead lectureing me.

And just for the sake of it....

75% of the characters you come across certainly aren't jerks at all. Most of the NPCs totally respect you, rather than being disdainful and occasionally racist, and there are absolutely no beheadings in town squares whatsoever. Except, you know, that beheading in a town square in the first ten minutes of the game.

We are a society that since less then 60 years smiles when a picture gets taken. Look at the black and white pictures 100 years ago, no one smiled. Smileing is a privat face, something that you show your friends and family. Being serious is the public face, because normaly a society demands curtain archaic behavior of Men. So its totaly more likely that people in a medieval farming society would be beheaving very different towards the Dragonborn stranger when he enters their village. So it also makes sense that the Cat-Man Things aint allowed to enter the Town and everyone is a bit racist.

But why do you even make this point? To tell me that things are just fine as how they are. Not interessting.

Edited by KaiHatia

The game is in fact rated Mature 17+.

I guess it really comes down to what is it EXACTLY that you think constitutes "adult" themes. If it's about sex, well there seems to be a whole lot of that kind of stuff that's been modded into Skyrim. Turn off the adult filters and you'll find some of it even on Nexus (and of course there's an entire website that seems to be about overhauling the game entirely to make that content available). I personally believe that it's a rather limiting interpretation about what makes something adult themed.

At first I thought it was about fairly graphic portrayals of violence. In terms of what's actually available in video games many think it's rather tame in Skyrim. I'm in the camp that says decapitations are graphic, and you get your first in the game only minutes into starting. But after playing fairly extensively and modding rather heavily (over 100 in my game) I think the rating is more because of the open choices the player has and how disturbing some can be. OK, you can't kill children in the vanilla game, but conversely have you ever even seen a child in the any of the GTA series? Some things the publishers just don't want players to do, and honestly who can blame them?

But dive into the Daedric missions and you dance in the amoral realms of entities with absolutely no benevolent feelings for humans (or other humanoids). The ethical and moral choices are perhaps a bit too in the face at times, but I find it makes for some interesting story lines and ways of connecting the dots between reveled culture and history that makes it even more interesting. The cannibal story line connected with Markarth is about as dark and "adult themed" as I ever want to allow myself to be fooled into. It certainly changed the way I looked at that little city ever since. It's not a story line that I'd recommend to a pubescent player. I haven't done all the Daedric quest yet, but without exception each one is pretty dark and morally twisted.

This isn't in any way me saying that I think Skyrim (modded or otherwise) is the perfect game. I actually agree that it'd be a good thing (for immersion) to have more realistic market and other NPC behaviors. I'd like to see a lot more NPCs interacting with each other in meaningful ways. I know these mods exist, but I haven't been compelled to put them in as my current play sessions are more about the world explorations than the "civilized" ones.

I haven't played a more compelling RPG, and wouldn't actually even know about it except my 17 year old game me the disc for Christmas this year. I've been really fascinated by how many D&D memories from my youth this has conjured up.

I guess it really comes down to what is it EXACTLY that you think constitutes "adult" themes. If it's about sex, well there seems to be a whole lot of that kind of stuff that's been modded into Skyrim. Turn off the adult filters and you'll find some of it even on Nexus (and of course there's an entire website that seems to be about overhauling the game entirely to make that content available). I personally believe that it's a rather limiting interpretation about what makes something adult themed.

I never brought up the point of sex in the Video game related to an adult but you already commited the first paragraph of your post about that and how you think about it. What the hell? Don't you think if it was about that point i wouldn't already brought it up, or rather not starting the Topic after all because i would just download some BDSM Mods for Skyrim and playing with the left hand on the mouse?

If you wanna have it more simple, compare Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas. F3 has a simplistic and linear story with an altruistic core, NV has a way more intricated story. Also it isn't about the gore. Horror can be inflicted just as good with elements that are not visual, like the pig farm story. This big farm story was authentic.

If you wanna have it more simple, compare Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas. F3 has a simplistic and linear story with an altruistic core, NV has a way more intricated story. Also it isn't about the gore. Horror can be inflicted just as good with elements that are not visual, like the pig farm story. This big farm story was authentic.

Now I understand what your argument is (at least I now think I do). If you base your judgement of Skyrim on the main story line, it's can play rather linear and limited. Agreed.

I was still fixating on your first post and trying to figure out why you think Skyrim is made for children. Apologies for the sex ruminations, but I had to tease out the "adult theme" a bit more. Complexity does certainly qualify in my reading of adult themes or content.

If you go off and do some of the side quests (the Nightengale ones from the Thieves Guild or any of the Daedric ones for instance) I think some stories that get tease out are really quite interesting, and even sketchy. In the quest for acquiring the Elder Scroll you encounter the remnants of a bandit-archaeological band and learn by picking up one of the journals that the madman you first encountered entering the area is in fact hallucinating from skooma withdraws. In the context of the Skryim-Tamriel universe, it seems pretty authentic at times to me.

It is weird that the main story line is so small compared to all the other side quests and "radiant" missions, and it still is one of the weakest points of the game for me. That it's an open environment (more so than intended by the developers judging from some of the mountains I've fallen from) makes some of the limitations a lot easier to forgive for me. And countless dungeons later I still get the ebeejeebies when I pull my sword and enter into a new one.

It is possible that my expectations are low, as I'm the "friendly audience" to the game. I really enjoy it.

Remove the Dragons from Skyrim and what is left? Everything evolves around the dragons and the rest seams to be half cooked.

'Half cooked' means nothing. Does Skyrim have some story telling problems? Yes, it does. It tends to rush things and leave it's stories poorly paced, you'll get no arguement there.

That said, there is a huge world outside of the Dragons and the main quests in TES games, typically with several storylines that would have an entire game dedicated to them in other franchises. The Faction Questlines, the Foresworn Conspiracy, the Civil War, 99% of the odd-job quests, the Galdur Legend etc. have absolutely nothing to do with Dragons or the main quest line. TES stories have a tendency to seem rushed because you are effectively getting half a dozen games worth of stories in a single title.

More importantly, the way the worlds are designed allows you to create your own story. You aren't prescribed a direction and set arc, and you are entirely able to play a lengthy game without doing a SINGLE quest. Because of this, world is far more alive than anything in the Witcher, Dragon Age, Divinity etc. even with the relatively simple storylines.

But those storylines tend to only be simple on the surface. Skyrims main quest is about a big evil Dragon returning right? Ooh, how original, you say. Until you learn the context, that Alduin exists to end the world and stop it from spiraling out of control, to reset time to prevent disaster. Until you learn what Ysmir means, what the Dragonborn are, until you explore the deeper subplots that aren't just handed to you on a platter.

At the end of the day, there are people who aren't going to like Skyrim because it's strange. Game of Thrones is popular because, frankly, it's simple, it's relatable. TES in general requires you to examine things in ways outside of your normal comfort zone, or just accept a simplistic cleche. There isn't a single cleche in TES, though, because of the way the universe is built around alien and obscure concepts which twist standard tropes into new things.

All I see in your complaints is a fixation on the main quest line, and then an unwillingness to either read it no the deeper world design that makes it interesting or to look beyond it at the sheer quantity of other things. Unless you're willing to step outside your box, your going to be stuck in bog-standard and predictable stories like the Witcher and Game of Thrones, where the most interesting stories are the ones they refuse to tell because it requires exploration of deeper world-building mechanics.

Frankly, politics are boring. Once you understand them, the players may change, but the story is always the same.

Edited by Lachdonin