3 Week Trial?

RZ1029

Read in one of the topics here that apparently players can give out codes for 3 week trials, instead of the 2 week trial via the website. If one of you guys would like to send me one, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to give EVE a shot. Not sure I'll hang around, but it looks like something I could get into.

EDIT: Also, anyone with any newbie tips, feel free to drop them below.

Edited by RZ1029

I would be willing to send you one, I will need an email from you to do so though.

As far as newbie tips go I would recommend that you find an read the tips and guides on the Eve University wiki as they do a very good job of putting you on the path to most anywhere that you want to go. If you end up liking the game and continue on I would recommend trying to get into the Eve University corporation as they are very skilled at helping new players. Other than that I would recommend downloading EveMon to help you plan out your skill training, don't bother with getting learning skills in the game , as by December 15th they will be completely removed from the game. If you have anymore questions I can always answer them in-game just contact Daza Loraz.

Edited by SektorXIII

You may also message me your email address for the 3 week free trial.

I think there is a pretty decent in-game tutorial to get you started. The tutorial starts automatically when you go out in space.

You will need to create a character first. Do not worry about the race and other options, as all characters start with the same skills, and can then train any skill they like. Just go with the look you like.

When I started playing eve I did not know that skill training had to be manually started, and did not train any skills for the first 10 days. Thus remember to start skill training as soon as you get your bearings :)

Have fun. Post any questions here or message/covo me in-game. Eve name: Samroski

I've just managed to convince my housemate to give Eve a go, and from peering over his shoulder, the tutorial looks to be pretty decent (definitely a huge improvement over what there was back when I first joined the game). But the lack of contextual help, and the horribly complicated interface means the game is still pretty overwhelming to play - so I agree with the recommendations of looking up Eve University. Google them, they're an in-game corporation dedicated to helping new players learn the game. They have an excellent wiki too, as Sektor has already mentioned.

You can also feel free to contact me in-game with any questions - my character's called Jonan Amraphenson.

The beginner NPC corps you get put into at the start tend to have a number of helpful people in term too - usually the longterm hi-sec miners and mission runners (usually insultingly called 'carebears') as well as newbies, so you can usually get help from experienced people there too (heck, I'm sitting in one of them right now, after idling in it for a long term absence).

But yeah, the new tutorial helps a lot compared to how it used to be (it's just a steep learning curve now, rather than a learning cliff).

The beginner NPC corps you get put into at the start tend to have a number of helpful people in term too - usually the longterm hi-sec miners and mission runners (usually insultingly called 'carebears') as well as newbies, so you can usually get help from experienced people there too (heck, I'm sitting in one of them right now, after idling in it for a long term absence).

But yeah, the new tutorial helps a lot compared to how it used to be (it's just a steep learning curve now, rather than a learning cliff).

Don't forget the alts in NPC channels. They are new characters, with loads of experience.

I tried the new tutorial with an alt. Now they do not give you a sequence of 10 missions relating to all aspects of eve (which was my new experience 2.5 years ago). After a couple of missions they recommend a number of agents that you can choose from. Not really sure if it is any easier or better, but most people think it is an improvement.

I missed out on the Eve University experience. Terminator had recommended EU to me even then, but I got stuck on the 9th tutorial mission, and EU required completion of the missions before joining (even though this was not strictly implemented). I also found their channel to be very busy, and as a new player I did not receive the help I needed. I went off and made my own corp, and learned nothing :)

Btw, NPC corps are not as popular with mission runners as they used to be, due to the introduction of the 11% tax.

Edit: is EU still at war?

Edited by samroski

I haven't really heard anything in-game about them being at war, and I haven't seen any news posts about it either so I don't think that they are. I could be wrong though as I don't go through their area of the galaxy very often.

EVE university is randomly war deced every so often. They cklose recruitment when they are deced to stop spies ect as far as im aware, just dont take everything they say about pvp as gosbal.

Also the guides that state about learning its proberly not worth training because in just over 2 weeks they aref inaly getting rid of them.