geck mod question

alecium96

So I posted this in a diff forum and I'm not sure why it didn't get any views. My question was how do you mod something in one mod and use textures from another? For example. I use minokos beauty pack. I'm trying to mod a character from a diff mod. Specifically change her hair. Prob is I want to use a hair type from the minokos pack. But it doesn't show up in the list obviously. I've tried a lot of different stuff but im just new to geck I guess.

well, what i would do is to re-create the hair in the GECK while loading the other mod that you are using, and make a new esp out of it

this way you will still have the new hair, while not having to use both mods

it is either that, or you will have to load both the mods together (at least, these are the options that i know of)

Well I don't mind using them both. It's more of an issue loading the one that I want to alter in the geck and being able to access the hair from the other mod. I'm trying to put hair from my beauty mod onto the character in a companion mod. Just not able to open the one to alter and see the hair I wanna use.

well, there is a line that you can change in the settings, that allows loading multiple masters in the GECK

this way, you can load both mods in the GECK at the same time, and change the companions' hair

you may also be able to do it on FNVEdit, but i don't know how to do it....

if you need to load multiple masters:

In order to create new .esms, you can use FOMM or FO3Edit to convert an .esp to an .esm. To load multiple .esms in the GECK, you need to change this setting in the GECKCustom.ini file:

bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

This file is NOT found in the fallout3 folder in the BethesdaSoftworks folder. It is found in the user folders under

My Documents/My Games/Fallout 3 

it's the same, but in the New Vegas folder

Edited by WastelandAssassin

I actually think I know what you mean. I don't think the companion one was a master though but I don't really know for sure. I'll look into that though. Maybe if anyone else has insight they'll add. I actually know how to do a decent amount on the geck its only little hangups like this that plague me.

Well I appreciate your curiosity into my issue. I'm not sure what mod your going to get but the ones I've been trying to alter are ones that add a completely new character to the game. Such as Bella bunker or miria etc. Lemme know if you find anything out. One more day of work for me this week then ill have all week to toy with it as well. Regardless thanks again.

Hi alecium69....is it Bella's hair you are trying to change?..... :biggrin: Bella is not a master, it's an esp. Here is what you do.....open your hair mod and find the mesh and texture files for the hair you want to use---goto data/textures/ModName/character/hair and data/meshes/ModName/meshes/character/hair........copy the files for the hair you want to use---a .nif and .egm file file for the meshes and 4 .dds files for the textures----and paste them in Data/texture/Bella/hair and data/meshes/Bella/hair folders.

Open Bella.esp in the Geck...goto race and find BellaRace and open her. Along the top geck menus open Character/hair from the menu....in the drop down box click on the left hand side to create a new hair...name it whatever---bellahairnew---click on the edit buttons to add the new mesh and texture by adding the new ones you put in bella's folders...close and save...reopen the hair drop down menu box. Open the 3rd tab on Bellas race box----FaceData----drag and drop your new hair style into the hairstyles box. Click okay and close her race box.....save....Click on the character menu again and near the bottom, click on Update face gen model availability. Now go to NPC and find and open aaBella and scroll to the head parts tab.......in the hair pulldown, your new hair should be listed...select it and it should change bella's hair in the head preview box. If all is okay, click okay to close her npc box....save......close geck and bella should be wearing the new hair in game.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Edit: Just realized that Mikoto's is now an ESM file....you will have to unpack the .bsa's from the ESM using FOMM or when you open Geck, set both the Fallout and Mikoto.esm's as masters and Bella.esp as the active mod. I don't believe you have to change the file as Wastlandassasin said for multiple masters, but not sure. Regardless, once you get access to the hair meshes/textures, the steps above are still the same.

Edited by MDC519

I will defenatly be trying this tomorrow after work. I'm really new to modding but I have a lot of respect for you guys that make the mods big and small. There something I really enjoy about fallout. I really appreciate your reply mdc519 its really awesome to get a answer from you since I mentioned your mod. I'll let you know something if I got it or not.