geck mod question

alecium96

ok, i found how to do it

though it will be a rather long description

open the GECK

in the data, load both the Mikoto.esm file, and the esp of the companion that you want to edit

if you want to edit this into the companion esp, make it active file

now, you need to open the Actor Data tab, and than the Race tab, and find the race of the companion you want to edit

open the race, and click on the Face Data tab

now, from the main menu (the one at the top) click on Character, and choose Hair

you will see a list of all the hairs you can have

just drag the hair that you want into the Hair Styles box in the race data (in the race, in the Face Data tab)

then when you are done, click OK

now, open the Actors tab, and the NPC tab, and the race of your companion, and find the companion

open the companion screen, and enter the Face tab (this will generate the face preview)

then enter the Head Parts tab, where you will have a box for hairs and a box for eyes (Hair and Eyes)

enter the Hair box, and choose the hair you want (you can see the hair in the preview on the side)

when you have selected the hair you want to use, just click OK to close the window

and if i am correct, your companion will now use the new hair (i haven't had a time to test this in the game yet, but i will do this as soon as i finish the process for myself :))

surprising enough, it even worked!! :)

now my Misty has a new hair style, and she looks even better :biggrin:

the description is rather long, but it is actually a rather easy thing to do

hope this helps you :)

Good description of how to do this to most companions, WastelandAssasin, but it will not work exactly like you described for all companions. Your described method will be okay for npc's that someone has no plans to upload to the game for other people to use and do not have a separate race. If it is done your way it wouuld cause conflicts in the game. My Bella's Bunker companion has her hair assigned to a new race so that such conflicts do not occur. To change Bella's hair for yourself ( you have no plans to upload ) you would either need to do as you described but do it in Bella's Race as I described earlier, or you would also have to go into aaBella and change her race back to the vanilla caucassian race for the change to work as you describe.

well, of course in my system, you will have to use the hair mod as a master (that is obvious, as you use the hair) but then again, i am not sure that people will allow you to add their hairs in your mod, so you might have to have the master anyhow

but is this the only problem with my method??

i just want to be 100% sure of all possible conflict and problems with the system

and thanks for replying, MDC519, i really appreciate the comment and confirmation :thumbsup:

well, of course in my system, you will have to use the hair mod as a master (that is obvious, as you use the hair) but then again, i am not sure that people will allow you to add their hairs in your mod, so you might have to have the master anyhow

but is this the only problem with my method??

i just want to be 100% sure of all possible conflict and problems with the system

and thanks for replying, MDC519, i really appreciate the comment and confirmation :thumbsup:

There is no problem at all with anyone modifying anyone's mod as long as it is not released as a new mod without permission. Using the 2 masters is a very acceptable way to do it for personal use. I personally quit using 2 masters for my mods because I got tired of having people CTD and wondering why-----you didn't read the readme, STUPID!--- :rolleyes: So I have gone to creating a separate race and including the hair files in my mod. By not doing it this way too many modders cause conflicts with other mods, in my opinion.

What you described is a very good method with just the one "problem" I noted.

Enough of the soapbox.....hope this helped.

• 2 weeks later...