Looping/Triggering an Animation

Talon Company

My goal is to have a NPC stand in a particular location endlessly performing the same animation. Sounds easy, yes? Well Mr. Noob here doesn't get it. My NPC stands there alright, but will not spontaneously launch the animation I want. I'm just doing it wrong, and am stupid therefore I don't take directions well. Could one of da Wizards walk me through it? It's a simple thing, make them stand there and dance. Forever. I got the make them and the stand there, but I just can't get the dance part. I wrote a trigger script upon advice and according to direction, but could not find how to name or save the script in GECK. I'll hit the tuts, I'm one of those "cry first, read later" types. Any help is appreciated though.

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm. I don't really know much about animations but, try posting the script up too, and perhaps people with experience can help you. By simply running a script that perhaps plays an "idle" animation and loops it, that would probably be the idea for how to get the character to do that all the time. I'm no expert but I think that might be how you are trying to do things in the script.

I assume you have the name of an animation which you know will loop, suppose it is DanceFemaleDynamicIdle, and you have created an NPC with some name, such as mynpc. Create an object script like this (not tested):

scn mynpcScript
begin onload
  playidle DanceFemaleDynamicIdle
end

In the NPC form for mynpc, in the script dropdown, select mynpcScript. That should be it. If you need a non-looping animation, it is a little harder. There may be a better way to do it, but you could add a gamemode block which uses "isidle" to find if the idle animation is playing. If not then it could start the animation.