New Patch makes my saves unplayable

murphy452

So, it's not a CRISIS because I was hating the way my character looked anyway, but I got about 19 hours in (on the second restart, mind you, first runthrough I had over 80 before I decided to scrap it and add mods) but all the sudden my saves can't be loaded cuz of this patch 6 they put in.

Tried remerging the mods to a new patch, still get the same message "this save game is under an updated patch, install the latest patch to play" or something similar.

Again, it's not a crisis, I was looking for an excuse to restart anyway, but how can I defeat this next time? Turn off auto-updates, sure, but how does everyone ELSE do this?

Ugh...never mind, forgot that part...now remerging my mods and then pasting to the update folder makes the game freeze completely on loading. Only move is to scrap the update folder and "repair" from the origin app.

What's everyone ELSE doing?

Yeah, I ended up stumbling on an incorrectly saved (first time, lol) patch 5 with mods that I created and used that. It was from a few weeks ago when I was trying to figure out how to make the modmanager work. Copied that into the "patch" folder and boom...all my saved games were playable again and all my mods were there.

Now I've learned stuff. Save things, lol. So now I'm keeping a vanilla patch 5, a vanilla patch 6, and a working modded patch 5. When the modmanager gets updated to work with patch 6, then I'll play with that some more but for right now, it'll likely be months before I even care about the DLC anyway (also, uncheck "update games automatically" in Origin).

Yeah, pretty much what everyone has said. Until someone gets the mod manager and mods to work with patch 6 you have two choices:

1. use an old patch 5 (Pros - DAI mod manager and mods will still work; Cons - you can't play the new Harkon DLC)

2. use a vanilla patch 6 (Pros - DLC is playable; Cons - mods won't work and trying to update patch 6 with DAI mod manager will make your game freeze on the load screen)

There is a workaround to get your old modded saves to run on vanilla patch 6 though (at least it worked for me). Once you've updated to patch 6, go into the Patch folder within the game Update folder. Open the 'package.mft' file in notepad. Change the line 'Version 7' to 'Version 9' (which is the version a modded patch 5 called itself). Save and close, and you should now be able to play the modded saves with patch 6, as they will now recognise your patch as the 'latest' one. Your mods will no longer be enabled though.

• 2 months later...

When you get this error message "this save game is under an updated patch, install the latest patch to play" or something like it when you try to load you game from the load screen menu, the way to fix it is as follows.

Go to the location of your patch folder and open the PACKAGE.MFT file with notepad. Look for the Version line and increase that number to match the version that it previously was before the new mod files were moved in.

If you didnt back up the previous PACKAGE.MFT file then increase the version by 1, save and exit. Try to load in your save. If you get the same error message, repeat this step until your saved game works. As of this posting my verison is at 11.