new laptop

dzftw

so i want to get a laptop to mod skyrim, im sick of siting at my desk, i want the freedom of moving around, anyone know of a good laptop for modding under $500?

For less than $500 you won't get a good laptop. About all you will get at that pricepoint is a laptop that can surf the web, and not much else. The only games you can play on integrated graphics tend to be very minimalistic indie games, or games that are a decade old. And that is accepting that the laptop will likely start to overheat if you play longer than 45 mins. Put simply, laptops cheaper than $1000 tend to be virtually useless for anyone who has interests that extend further than facebook. Laptops under $1500 are slighly less crappy, but still not something that will give you much in the way of performance.

I know you said modding and not playing... But even the Creation Kit has reasonably high graphics and memory demands. Nevermind the part where the size of tools and resources related to modding would easily cap out those 250gb-500gb drives that generally come on lower end laptops. And even then, what you can load before the application fills memory and crashes would take a very long time to actually load as these are typically lower speed drives.

This is just a straight up "don't even bother" kinda situation.