Squares in subtitles, WTF is going on

Ok I have had this problem when dealing with anyone using MS word (Not wordpad or notepad)

A comma or apostrophe or ... will turn into a f*#@ign square when dialogue is copy pasted into the CK, it doesnt matter if I save the document then open in say wordpad then re-save, unless I specifically backspace and redo the comma apostrophe etc it will do ti again, now I am having the same goddamn issue with rtf's saved from google docs. This has always pissed me off but never enough to just lose my s#*! till now, wtf is going on and I seriously hate this out of date f*#@ing engine sometimes.

And no it's not squares int he CK it's squares in game and it's f*#@ing annoying as all hell

STUPID PIECE OF s*** GD f***ing MEDIEVAL ENGINE f***ing HELL

You know what I just managed to do, I FINALLY after years, did a very very complex insane quest with 11 scenes 18+ stages, 13 objectives, custom weapons and enchants blah blah blah PERFECTLY, (Well to be fair there were like 3 bugs but would actually have been livable and playable by assassins creed standards yo)

But the whole time 2358732985623985627398 f***ing SQUARES

This has been the most advanced quest I have NAILED on test try one and it gets sullied by this jackass f***ing subtitle bug, f*** you bethesda, come join 2005 please, it's fun here.

On the plus side, tearjerker #1 for the ladies (Ya im sexist) is completed and awaiting voice actors so wooooo

Once again I state for evidence the complete lack of suicides at bethesda as proof they did not use the CK to make the game.

Edited by Darren83

Word is converting the text to use "fancy quotes" and other non-ASCII punctuation. Those punctuation characters aren't present in the fonts the game uses so you get squares. Pasting into Wordpad won't help because the conversion has already happened.

One of the specific features of RTF is its ability to support those fancier punctuation symbols. You might be able get them converted back if you tell one of those programs to explicitly save the data into a text file format.

The solution is to stop using fancy word processors that alter what you're typing or disable those "helpful" features when working on things like this, but I take it you are getting the files from other people so that isn't realistic.

P.S. Of course they used the CK, that's why it even has a spell check feature. What they didn't do is try to type everything into a Word document then paste it into the CK later.

No, with Google Docs you're in luck. At least for any new files to create.

Go to the Tools - Preferences... menu and uncheck the "Use smart quotes" and "Automatic Substitution" options.

Unfortunately those are per-document settings and can't undo any previous replacements, but it's better than nothing.

I had a similar issue with that when it came with ... and ' (as Word would make ... as one character instead of 3 and the ' as Word's fancy version of it) and what I would do was take the text and throw them in Microsoft notepad then use the find/replace option to change it to what you want. For example, I would ask notepad to change all of the Word's '...' (since you can copy that character and paste it in the find/replace text bar) and have it be replaced by the actual ...

Hope it helps and what I said wasn't too confusing.

Word uses special characters for ', ", and a few others that don't translate to the Creation Kit's dialogue or book system, resulting in the squares. If you are using Word 2007/2010/+, you can Save As .txt. That should get around your formatting issues when translating from the doc to Creation Kit.