Amature Modder Needs Advice

darkranger85

I am in the process of making my own mod. In theory it's going to be a very large comprehensive mod but seeing as how I am new to modding I need to ask a few questions that I didn't see answered when I read the tutorials on modding and the GECK.

1. I'm looking to make a "condition" that will afflict the player and be incurable by a doctor. Kind of like addiction but I don't want it to say "You have become addicted to XXX" I would like it to say a custom message. I'm going to make a medicine that relieves it for a time, but does not cure it entirely.

2. I would like to make a door that is locked unless you have a specific item in your inventory. Not like a key, but an item that would automatically unlock the door. Perhaps showing a message or a voice saying something when the door unlocks.

3. I know their are mods made by people in which the NPCs actually talk just like a normal NPC. How do you do that? And is there a tutorial/guide?

I'm sure I will have other questions, but these will help me get started. I appreciate any help you guys can give!

Thanks!

As i am not able to tell you exactly how it can be done i might be pointing you towards some directions for it.

1: the item can be made and the message can be activated by scripting,

I know we have some good scripters on this forum and you might want to look for scipsis as he has his own tutorials for it,.

2: this can be done with a trigger,again how it should be done i'm not tottaly aware of.

3: for that you might want to check here

hopefully this helped you a bit in the direction of how to do it. ;)

I can't help with 1 or 3, but I can help you with 2:

What you need to do is:

1. Make a new door (change the EditorID of the one you'd like to use and select 'yes' when asked if you want to create a new form).

2. Write an Object Script that tells the door to open for the Player only if the item is in their inventory.

3. Attach the script to your new door and place the door in game.

The script should look like:

scn ScriptNameHere

Begin OnActivate Player
 If Player.GetItemCount ItemID >0
   Activate
 EndIf
End

This script will run only when the Player tries to use the door and will ensure that the door only opens if the Player has one or more of the required item.

I don't see anyone by that name in the members list though.

It was misspelled: Cipscis.