Should I abandon this game

ell46

I've just started a new game, I've done Lothering, Redcliffe and just finished the Circle and I am having all kinds of problems that I don't understand and need to know if the game is irretrievably corrupted and should be abandoned.

When fighting the sloth demon the big fight at the end, I changed to some of the forms that you are given, eg spirit and when the fight was almost over my character would change to all the spirit forms but not back to elf, even though the character was behaving as if it was back to it's human/elf form and had the skills and talents for that form.

When fighting Uldred my character couldn't get near him because every where I put my cursor I got 'Invisible Object'.

The invisible object problem has been cropping up right from the beginning and I know that you do get these now and again, but in this game they are occurring everywhere.

My character won't fight unless I control her all the time.

When fighting the Ogre on the top of the tower and it was dead it's body was at an angle supported by nothing, I've got ravens sitting in mid air and that is just some of the things going wrong.

I disabled all mods before starting a new character but didn't uninstall them and then enabled them after the first save as recommended and DAMModmanager isn't throwing up that there are any conflicts. Am I going to have reinstall the game as well????

@Ell; Unlikely to need a full game re-install. I've had some of the issue you're expereincing myself, but they've always either gone away with a save and re-load or a switch of appearance, or aren't a real problem (e,g, "floating" fallen enemies -- especially ogres. I think I have a saved screenshot of my PC standing under the back of one! :laugh: )

For the "displayed as one of the shapeshifted forms while in the Fade, but acting as normal" problem, I do a switch to ANTOHER form, then cancel that one and I'm back to "me".

But I've never had the "invisible object" event occur, so can't help wth that. :sad:

The invisible Object problem is a mod conflict and without knowing what mods you have on I can't tell you any more than that. This will go away with the uninstallation of the mod causing the problem. If you can upload a copy of the mods used I will take a look and let you know.

I've just started a new game, I've done Lothering, Redcliffe and just finished the Circle and I am having all kinds of problems that I don't understand and need to know if the game is irretrievably corrupted and should be abandoned.

When fighting the sloth demon the big fight at the end, I changed to some of the forms that you are given, eg spirit and when the fight was almost over my character would change to all the spirit forms but not back to elf, even though the character was behaving as if it was back to it's human/elf form and had the skills and talents for that form.

What happens when you leave the fade?

When fighting Uldred my character couldn't get near him because every where I put my cursor I got 'Invisible Object'.

The invisible object problem has been cropping up right from the beginning and I know that you do get these now and again, but in this game they are occurring everywhere.

Let me guess, you have Slink's Ravage and Dark Times installed? If so, go back to your old version of Slinks Random - I've been having the same troubles. If you don't want to do that, with Uldred you can run to the left and get around it and then attack him but in must other areas you will have to use runscript zz_jump_forward to get by it.

My character won't fight unless I control her all the time.

What tactics mods do you have? How many new specializations and talent groups do you have? (I know you know about the H key.)

When fighting the Ogre on the top of the tower and it was dead it's body was at an angle supported by nothing, I've got ravens sitting in mid air and that is just some of the things going wrong.

It happens, my guy has air-pillow insoles

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/imageshare/images/1901964-1292012774.jpg

Going to blame Slink for this one too, even with the old versions the corpses would stack or die in mid-air.

I disabled all mods before starting a new character but didn't uninstall them and then enabled them after the first save as recommended and DAMModmanager isn't throwing up that there are any conflicts. Am I going to have reinstall the game as well????

Let's hope not, a full mod list would be helpful though.

Thandal - I've had the same things, glitches that just seem to go away, but this game is getting worse the further in I get which is why I was considering I might have to abandon it and start again.

As for the shapeshifting, after starting that fight 3 times and having the same thing happen, the 4th time I played to the end hoping that my character would appear after leaving the fade in human form, but it didn't she was still in spirit form, so I had to play a 5th time and not shapeshift.

naomis- I'm thinking mod conflict as well, I've uninstalled all mods and am considering playing on and re-installing them one at a time as required in the hope I can identify which is the problem.

RustyBlade - I've explained what happens when I leave the fade for Thandal. No to Slinks revenge, but yes to Dark Times and I have a feeling this is the problem. As for running to the left, believe me I tried running her round in circles to the point where she would slip through the cracks, but it didn't happen she couldn't get through what ever it was, so had to change to ranged weapons or just let her stand and watch.

Thanks for the console fix, that's worth knowing.

I don't use tactic mods, it's mostly romance which I've used since they were released so I'm comfortable with installing and deleting necessary files.

Would it be better to actually uninstall the mods or is unticking the boxes good enough? All mods are off at the moment, but I didn't want to continue without some advice as to whether it's a good idea or not. I was hoping that disabling or uninstalling would fix all problems.

Would it be better to actually uninstall the mods or is unticking the boxes good enough? All mods are off at the moment, but I didn't want to continue without some advice as to whether it's a good idea or not. I was hoping that disabling or uninstalling would fix all problems.

In most cases where there is a conflict, uninstalling is the only route - make sure to check the core\override and especially the core\data folders for leftovers as well. Additionally make sure that there are no leftovers in core\date from previous uninstalls as they can wreak havoc as well. If you have Witch Hunt, best to uninstall it until you are ready to use it and uninstall it again when you are done as it causes problems with some other mods also. The Winter Forge can cause issues too so if you have that you may want to try removing it as well.

Dark Times by itself will not cause the hardcore invisible object bug; there are invisible objects but they are small and it is the interaction with other mods that seems to cause them to swell up and become a real problem.

A list of what mods you have (other than weapons, armor, hair and face mods) would really help in troubleshooting :smile:

Right where do I start :confused: here is a screen shot of mods I normally use and which are still in the Override folder. There is a file there called Resource Files which I am sure is from from DT, but I can't remove it because if I do my character has WHITE hair !!! I didn't realise that DT would actually make changes to character creator.

I added 2 new mods to this game, XT Phoenix Armoury and Adonnay's Weapon Replacer, but I uninstalled XTPA back in Lothering and kept AW.

I also had running

Extra Dog Slot

Nukenins Dog Find Fix

Anytime PP

Dog Gift Tweaks

No Helmet Hack

as far as I can remember that is all I use apart from as I said before the free DLC and RTOstagar. I can't see anything in override that is left over apart from that resource file. I don't know if any DA zip files I might have installed, not liked from the start and promptly uninstalled and deleted would make changes or add things in other folders that got left behind, it's not something you can usually see to know.

Do you know how many hair colours there are in the character creator? When I removed that resource file I only had 10.

DT added a bunch of hairstyles and colors; not sure if you ran the chargenmorph compiler on it. The fact that resource file is there tells me you are not running DT 1.07 which you should do as it gets rid of DT 1.06 and earlier's override folder and keeps the whole thing in your addins - this may solve some of your problems as there were quite a few fixes. I would suggest the torrent version if possible (currently 15 seeders of which I am one - goes pretty quick.)

So what is in that toolsetexport folder? Try moving that one out if there is anything in it and see what happens.

If you are using 1.04 you may want to go through the fix list and remove those fixes that were rendered obsolete with the new patch.

Adonnay's mod is safe with anything, not sure on the Pheonix but usually weapon and armor mods don't cause issues.

Did you find anything out of the ordinary in the My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\data folder?

Yep, I always run the chargenmorph comp' when trying out new mods.

Got the torrent version of DT 1.07 just not installed it yer.

The toolsetexport folder is empty, I considered deleting it but figured what's the point if there is nothing in it and who know I might want it again sometime.

Didn't check the data folder, oooop's will do that later today as it's 1 am, another oooop's didn't realise it was that late. I'll report back on that when I've checked it, I did just take a quick look but there are some files with names that don't mean much so I'll run them though my finder later to see what mods they might belong to.

The erfs in the data folder correspond to dazips. Official DLC's do not install anything there so anything that doesn't match up with the dazips you have installed needs to be deleted. If all else fails, uninstall your dazips, delete the contents of data and then reninstall the dazips and you will be safe. That may take care of some of your problems anyway.