What is priority #1 when you leave the vault?

TheOriginalEvilD

1. Use the "low strength" version "No Weakness" build: S 1, P 9, E 9, C 1, I 9, A 9, L 2

2. Watch Omata shoot that guy. The way her dad freaks out is priceless. "Where did you get that gun?"

3. Max unencumbered weight run to Megaton.

4. Sell, start all MT quests, making sure Burke unlocks chem merchant, DO NOT complete any quests, leave Megaton

5. Set Moira's quest to get a marker to SD Mart. Skirt the Mart making sure not to "discover" it yet, swim the Potomac, again doing best not to "discover" locations until Rivet City.

6. Take the Rivet City Intelligence Bobblehead. I should still be level 2.

7. Fight my way to Underground, "discovering" as few locations as possible while fighting and leveling as much as possible, until Medicine is at 60.

8. Get Tesla book & Lincoln Rifle

9. Revive Reilly (if med < 60 savescum the speech check)

10. Loot Reilly compound. Shoot the Worm Preacher and loot Vernon Square.

11. Rescue Reilly's Rangers.

12. Get mapping mission from Reilly. "Discover" like crazy 'cuz now it's for PROFIT!

13. Bigtown quests for the Lucky 8 Ball (told you Medicine was useful!)

14. Megaton quests except Moira's; deposit 2 Bobbleheads on the stand

15. Ruthlessly pursue Bobbleheads in order of usefulness, starting with Repair

16. Trade Casdir scrap metal for stimpacks; eventually loot Fort Independence

17. Get freaked out by Dunwich Building.

18. Get abused by Moira.

19. Main quest to Raven Rock for the Energy Weapons bobblehead & to unlock Vertibird encounters

20. At level 24 complete the "No Weakness" build with the eponymous perk + Ant Might + S & C Bobbleheads

21. THE ADVENTURE BEGINS! YAY!

Not much in the plan relating to guns. I pretty much live off what I can loot and buy, keeping 1 weapon for accuracy and 1 for short range stopping power. "Whatever works" is my motto. I didn't know about the sniper rifle in the hollow rock (I didn't even know about the hollow rock!) The "Barter" bobblehead comes with a nice shotgun; going for the bobbleheads will have other side benefits like that. There's also almost no chance I won't grab the Reservist's Rifle while collecting the various 'heads out west.

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually going to do that once, but on my way to the Intelligence bobblehead (which I always grab first) an alien ship crashed in front of the Super Duper Mart and after almost getting fried by a raider who picked up the Alien Blaster ... I got an Alien Blaster.

I read somewhere that event was super-rare, so I guess I got lucky.