Starting out?

DPRascal

Greetings all,

Firstly I just wanna say that Ive really enjoyed a lot of the mod content thats now available and shall start to make an effort to endorse files!

Point of this post is very simple, Im looking for some sound advice in starting to mod Fallout New Vegas. Ive tinkerd a bit with Oblivion, Kotor and Freelancer but never seriously and have decided to make a determined effort with New vegas. It is my hope that someone is able to point me in the right direction to make a start and inform me what tools will be needed and what may be a simple project to start off with.

Id like to give something back for a change as opposed to being a fanatical downloader of other peoples work.

Any help would be appreciated :)

If you've modded for Oblivion, modding for New Vegas is quite similar. Bethsoft has some great text and video tutorials here.

Thanks,

I can see this will be very helpfull to me indeed it certainly has enough info to keep me busy, confused and generally occupied. I was wondering thou, are there any tips as in Do's and donts when it comes to compatability and creating a mod useable for more. The area that I intend to work towards is a quest content mod, although a long way of for now. I was curious how the rest of you set about making mods along this genere and what you watch out for? Ill naturally start small and work my way up but am curious to hear what process from concept to creation you guys generally follow? For example do yuo write a mod and test on a vanilla setup or work on a setup running some of the more popular mods already?

[For example do yuo write a mod and test on a vanilla setup or work on a setup running some of the more popular mods already?

Get geck powerup and fnvedit. I have been modding FNV only two weeks and these have saved my life. In particular script syntax errors with powerup, and the ability to undo changes in fnvedit. All too often I have moved my object, while accidently having other objects selected in the geck render window. Fnvedit lets you see exactly what you changed, and makes it easy to delete things you changed by accident. Deep in the fnvedit endorsement thread is a 160-page user guide. I only read the chapter on mod cleaning, but that was enough. I wouldn't bother testing with other mods, I would make sure everything is clean with fnvedit. (Of course testing other mods is fun too ... but you will gain confidence quicker with fnvedit.)