Super Snowy Skyrim

durns

Remember how geologists from the University of Maryland were hired to help Bethesda create the algorithms for creating terrain in Oblivion?

Can you imagine what they'll be doing with a post-glacial landscape? It's going to be like before, but to the Nth degree, applied on a more massive scale.

This landscape will not be boring. Doubtless, it will be awesome to behold. New Zealand is a post-glacial landscape and it's famous for it's awe inspiring geography. I'm actually hoping they overdo the method of applying their calculations to the point where the beauty surpasses anything on Earth.

Edited by Jermungand

If they took fast travel out and had other modes of transport like horse and cart, boats and maybe even dragons. because when i 1st had oblivion i only found out that there was fast travel a few missions into the game, and by god did it take long to get around?

I agree. I think that would be much better even if you still had the choice to skip the journey. I really hope they include a Hardcore mode like New Vegas! I thought that made the game 100X more epic lol

Skyrim won't be a barren and boring land, that's for sure! just look at Nordic Landscape - this is what Skyrim will most likely look like on the ground level. (Mountains will probably be different)

People probably think of Oblivion's snowy areas and think, "This will be barren and boring!" - But you have to think about the fact that the Jerall Mountains weren't Bethesda's priority in Oblivion, while in Skyrim, their priority have to be these snowy areas, considering that is what it's mostly made out of.

I am really looking forward to seeing how Bethesda makes Skyrim - and I have no doubt It'll be fantastic! :D

Skyrim would benefit from a little Morrowind it sounds like - mainly the Bloodmoon expansion. Ice caves would be amazing and random open fields of grass in between mountains would be a way of not having all snow. Having the feeling that snow is all around you and that it is falling all around can have a 'where am I' feeling, especially if Beth does not add a quest marker for everything.

There is a good chunk of information on the geography of Skyrim on the UESP site. Its not all mountains and snow, people have to live and farm somewhere. Just like the northern half of Scotland, and lower parts of Scandanavia, though it is cold, snow and ice do not dominate the landscape turning it into a tundra. Think of it like Canada, it can be wide open and flat, and then instantly steep and mountainous.

Well, yeah - But between Tamriel and Atmora, there is lots of water...

On the other hand though, Atmora is the homeland of the "Proto-Nords", so it could be possible we'd see an expansion for it? :)