Trait: Blindness

Scygnus

I'm looking to run a little RP build, and I figured I'd try to possibly stay true to the character. This one, in particular, is blind. I think blindness could be an interesting trait... a natural condition that hasn't really been covered by any of the others.

So, first off: Blindness

I'm thinking either a bonus of some kind to unarmed attacks with a massive penalty to ranged weapons, in tribute to all the kung-fu badasses that get bonus levels when they blindfold themselves. Or reduction of your PER to 1 and somehow being immune to enemies using Stealth. Not sure if you can do that one, but PER 1 and some kind of side-bonus to your perception, like extra DT or critical damage/frequency deduction due to being able to sense attacks that would have tricked your eyes.

Secondly, a way to make this obvious, a Blindfold. A penalty to PER, but some kind of minor bonus, maybe more of the above DT/crit-reduction. Or maybe immunity to the freakout the screen does when poison hits you. Original version is black silk, if anyone actually decides to model this.

And a few more things to round this post out.

Let's see... essentially I'd like to see a few perks to emulate the basic ones from the Monk class, D&D 3.5 if anyone's wondering.

Specifically, a perk that gives you extra DT based on your level, but only if the armor you're wearing doesn't give you any DT. Should also work when not wearing any armor. Not sure if that's plausible or not.

And a similar one that adds to unarmed damage based on level as long as you aren't using a weapon... any weapon, even unarmed ones.

These two are meant to replace weapons and armor. While it'll be an uphill battle getting to a higher level, they should be very strong if not THE strongest options for unarmed damage and DT at level 30.

So, to break it down.

Trait: Blindness

Item: Blindfold

Perk: Unarmored DT bonus

Perk: Completely Unarmed damage bonus

Side Note: also looking for a qipao or cheongsam outfit (a chinese dress, wiki it if you're confused) and a hair-pack that has those cute little buns. These likely exist somewhere, and I intend to go asking, but if anybody shows any actual interest in this thread and I can't find them elsewhere, I'll probably come back and add them to the list. I think I heard about a mod that can make you short, too, which I also intend to look for. Pretty sure that already exists.

Second Side Note: If any of these already exist, just slap me for cluttering up the forum and link me them.

I get how you might justify super hearing as a reason for why you can sense stuff, but the fact you can see in colour...

Anyway, in terms of the whole idea, it doesn't sound too hard. The trait is pretty easy, and the blindfold just needs a model, then the actual effects are simple. The perks are pretty easy as well, I'll see if I can try to make something soon.

Also you should probably clarify what exactly you think each perk/trait/item effect should do, as that would make it a lot easier.

As for the dresses... You'd probably be better off searching the Fallout 3 Nexus to see if anyone has made any, or even ported it to New Vegas.

Edited by Erthilo

lol start playing and turn off the screen...theres reallistic blindness for you :thumbsup:

seriusly how would a blind man survive in the wasteland?

ROFLOL! I'm sorry, but when I started reading the OP I had exactly the same thought about turing off the monitor - I can't imagine a sighted guy playing a blind person without really turning off the visual ques that you will get. Still chuckling at this response. :laugh:

Kudos, Internet. Where would we be without your kneejerk, borderline-assholish responses? Someplace less fun, I think.

Anyway.

First off, yes, I know that it won't simulate blindsense exactly... but turning the world black and white and reducing view-range to around fifty feet would probably be a mite difficult.

Second... the main reason I didn't put down exact numbers is because I haven't played the game extensively yet. I understand they downgraded the numbers a bit from Fallout 3, but I haven't gotten around enough to know where the line between 'really good' and 'outright broken' is. I mostly blame myself for not being able to make decisions, which is why I decided to attempt to do an RP run with someone whose opinions on most things are pretty clear-cut.

For numbers, I have no idea on the trait or the item. If I go with the DT on the blindfold and the unarmored DT perk, I'd like to have them not interfere with each-other, so I'd probably say crit for the blindfold and DT for the trait. Killing your perception completely should be worth a little, but it shouldn't be ridiculous. +4s are tossed around pretty casually in certain perks and whatnot, so would, say, 8 break the game? As for crit reduction on the blindfold... maybe have it shave off 50% of crit damage? Not sure what the exact ratio on crit damage is, so, again with the not-breaking-the-game.

The perks... for unarmored DT, I heard the best power armors run around 25 with a few 28s, so what about making it 1/level and calling it even for losing the chance at the various bonuses and resistances?

For the unarmed damage... could you give me a perk name, TheRoc? I've been looking at the list and can't figure out which one you're talking about, unless you mean in one of the perk pack mods. In any case, I'm not sure what the top unarmed weapons run, and this perk is supposed to replace those, so... I read that the ballistic fist is the best unarmed weapon, with a damage of 80, so... what about 2/level for a final damage of sixty before strength/unarmed modifiers? Plus the default unarmed damage as well, I think.

EDIT: Oh, and keep in mind on whether these are broken or not that if I run this, I won't be using weapons or armor, and thus with the gradual boosts based on level, it'll be an uphill climb the entire way.

Edited by Scygnus

You could always make a script and overlay that when the player goes first person view they are blind partially/fully, but when in third person you can see. Or you could add an overlay of some kind (like heat vision, or a Chronicles of riddick effect, something to that effect) to stimulate a sort of "viewing with your third eye". Or some kind of mix of the 2?

For the numbers - Having 1 PER doesnt change much ... My char started with 1 PER (so i could max INT and END for maximum skill points and implants) and at the begining all fights were at close distances so it was all easy. Even if you are forced to snipe just have a "steady" and you shoot like "Eagle with telescope"...