The geck is deleting my items

thatguy10

I have been adding a number of new items some with new meshes, some vanilla meshes just changing items from movable static to static, etc. all the items work fine in the geck, then I save and go in game, and they work fine in game. Then I close the geck and when I reload the mod later a number of the items have been deleted from in game. Their editor ID still exsists, and it lists placed items as 0 with a * (as if the value was just changed.) If I keep adding the item the same thing will happen. If I remake the item, sometimes it will stop and sometimes it wont.

I can't figure out for the life of my why after I have closed out the geck and the items have been saved(the editor id would still exsist if they werent, and the * wouldnt show if they werent placed before and then change to 0) that apon reloading the mod the items are deleted.

The mod isnt that big, could it be a size issue with an esp? that doenst seem to make sense with it working, it almost seems random that this will happen to my added items. I', out of ideas here

If I understand your description correctly, you make a change in geck, and save in geck but leave geck running. Then you play the game and the object is there, and you exit the game. Then you exit geck, which saves the plugin again. Then you play the game and the object is missing.

It is odd that geck is saving at all, upon exit. If you saved, then left it running without making any more changes, then exited, it shouldn't be saving. Right? That makes me think the mod may have silent script syntax errors. Saving might write an object even though it has these errors, but save-exit might mark the object invalid instead. This is only a guess.

Are you using geck powerup to see script syntax errors?

Edited by davidlallen

there is zero extra scripting in the mod. its only adding new items. And what is happening is I can completely close the geck, and then go into the game and all the items I made are still there(things like static pieces of furniture and such). But when I reload the geck the item is gone but the item Id in the object window has the item still there but the count is set to 0* (as if it was recently changed to zero from the 1 or however many there were) and if I ofcourse go back into the game they are gone.

I'm experiencing this problem as well. I'm adding totally new static objects from Meos Vault-Tec - Resource mod and place them on the level on my house mod. It saves fine, but when I open up the GECK later, it gives me a warning saying that I have missing/invalid base objects. (The ones I just added :wallbash: ) All references are deleted but the base object is still there. Also, I'm using the GECK PowerUp for New Vegas, so that could be the cause. The sooner there is a solution to this problem the sooner I'll be able to update it as people are getting antsy.

The second time you run geck, you get the messages about invalid base objects. For this run, did you load the meos mod? If not, geck is doing what I expect. You need to use a tool like fnvedit to copy the base objects from the meos mod into your mod. Or else, (and this is equally valid), make sure that both you and your users include the meos mod in their load order before yours.

The second time you run geck, you get the messages about invalid base objects. For this run, did you load the meos mod? If not, geck is doing what I expect. You need to use a tool like fnvedit to copy the base objects from the meos mod into your mod. Or else, (and this is equally valid), make sure that both you and your users include the meos mod in their load order before yours.

Meo's mod does not have an .esp, it's just meshes and textures. Also, this problem applies to some other static objects that are not from Meo. It's a problem with the GECK, GECK PowerUp for New Vegas, or both. I need to solve this problem fast so I can get an update out for my mod, Yangtze Bunker - Player Home. Also, I'm getting a warning when I close the GECK and it says "ModelLoader still contains 9 NIF files". I don't know what this means, but it could be related to my problem. It's literally killing me that Bethesda did not take the time to release a stable version of the GECK since I'm dealing with this problem among many others.

Edited by Guest

ok I didnt change anything I open up the game it looks like most of the exterior world is now deleted by this mod, this includes things that were never even touched by the mod.

opening up the geck and looking at the mod it shows most exteriors world spaces replaced with a * instead of their name as if the whole places were recently changed to blank????

edit:

it appears now everytime the geck is open it changing any values it can to 0, from land objects etc. its like most the exterior cells were set completely blank with only the lod remaining (not even the land)

Edited by thatguy10

Meo's mod does not have an .esp, it's just meshes and textures. Also, this problem applies to some other static objects that are not from Meo.

I am not sure I quite understand the problem. I looked into meo briefly, and as you say it contains only nifs and dds'. This means you have created the static objects yourself. If you create one static object, associate it with the meo nif/dds and save (without creating any instances of the new object), does this work? That is, when you reload this mod do you see this object in the object window without any more warning messages than before? Knowing this will help track down whether the problem is in the object, or the instance.

Also, I'm getting a warning when I close the GECK and it says "ModelLoader still contains 9 NIF files".

Unfortunately geck powerup turned on all error messages, so we get some that we can't do anything about. This indicates a "memory leak" type of error in the geck program itself, but this happens even with the vanilla files.

ok I didnt change anything I open up the game it looks like most of the exterior world is now deleted by this mod, this includes things that were never even touched by the mod.

opening up the geck and looking at the mod it shows most exteriors world spaces replaced with a * instead of their name as if the whole places were recently changed to blank????

I am afraid your mod somehow has gotten into a bad state. I have found it is easy to have too many objects selected when I delete something, resulting in all those objects getting deleted in addition to the one I want. Maybe this is related. It is possible to undelete objects using fnvedit; but you may need to decide whether it is easier to start over. Is it true that if you start geck with just the base game file, everything is OK? It may be worthwhile to create a new test mod where you delete just one object, in order to make sure that nothing else is wrong.

Edited by davidlallen