The geck is deleting my items

thatguy10

yup everything else is ok. but the mod itself is changing these things. And its not a matter of accident, because I open the geck then load the active file and the new vegas esm, and the files are gone. plus it seems unlikely that I would have deleted most of the items and most of the land on exterior spaces (maybe if it was the entire world cells were deleted, but just parts of them) accidentially seems unlikely.

how would I go about undeleting thigns with fnvedit. I might try and recover what I can and then convert it into and esm so hopefully the geck will stop changing it.

how would I go about undeleting thigns with fnvedit.

Load the mod into fnvedit. It will load the master file (the base game) automatically. Then what you will see is a file explorer window on the left, with all the items in your mod. This includes changes, additions, and deletions. If you have accidentally deleted a huge number of items, then it should be easy to find an example. You can right click and select remove. The logic here may not be so obvious, but your mod contains an instruction to remove this item, and what you are doing is removing this instruction from your mod. Hope that makes sense.

The thread in which I learned how to do this is fnvedit does not clear my problem which is only a few weeks old.

There is another approach, depending on how much damage there is, this may be easier. I have not tried it but I am sure somebody else can help with more detail. If you have several useful things in the damaged mod, it may be easier to use fnvedit to copy those items, into a fresh new mod. Fnvedit has a huge 160 page manual, I am sure the details are in there too.

Edited by davidlallen

ok ill mess around with it and see if there is anything I get out. Its a couple weeks worth of work since the last backup so I hope I can get some of it out atleast.

thanks for the help. and if you or anyone else can think of anything else ill gladly take any advice on the issue.

Don't get discouraged. I have only been modding oblivion/fnv for a few weeks, and I have also had to throw things away multiple times. Fortunately (for me :-)), I have an iron-clad habit of making a backup every day (of the one mod file) and keeping them for a few weeks in a separate directory.

Don't get discouraged. I have only been modding oblivion/fnv for a few weeks, and I have also had to throw things away multiple times. Fortunately (for me :-)), I have an iron-clad habit of making a backup every day (of the one mod file) and keeping them for a few weeks in a separate directory.

I do as well with everything but the geck. if you saw the blender files for my armor mod or this one you would definately see that. but since its normally becasue I can do a save as and save multiple versions which you cant from directly inside the geck,i just never did. wont be doing that now. but im also careful about not changing things that arent suposed to be changed, so I dont really expect a bug that wipes out all this. Especially since it was just little things and seemed like and issue with new items being wiped out now all the sudden basically the whole file is shot. I dont intend on not redoing it all, but it would save a whole lot of time if I dont have to redo all of it.

Meo's mod does not have an .esp, it's just meshes and textures. Also, this problem applies to some other static objects that are not from Meo.

I am not sure I quite understand the problem. I looked into meo briefly, and as you say it contains only nifs and dds'. This means you have created the static objects yourself. If you create one static object, associate it with the meo nif/dds and save (without creating any instances of the new object), does this work? That is, when you reload this mod do you see this object in the object window without any more warning messages than before? Knowing this will help track down whether the problem is in the object, or the instance.

Yes, I did create these static objects myself and the problem is with the object. I know this because I get a warning upon starting the GECK with my mod that states that the static objects I've added are missing/invalid, thus all references are deleted. Saving without any references of the object does not solve the problem. I'm out of ideas.

I have made a simplified example, probably oversimplified. I have a local nif and dds which I created. With no mod loaded in geck, I create a new static item, associate my nif, save it as a new mod, and exit. Then I reload this mod. None of this type of message appears. Does this happen for you whenever you use any of the meo models? Does it happen if you create a new static item, using existing nifs which are part of the game? There must be something which is different between your problem, and my oversimplified example.

I have made a simplified example, probably oversimplified. I have a local nif and dds which I created. With no mod loaded in geck, I create a new static item, associate my nif, save it as a new mod, and exit. Then I reload this mod. None of this type of message appears. Does this happen for you whenever you use any of the meo models? Does it happen if you create a new static item, using existing nifs which are part of the game? There must be something which is different between your problem, and my oversimplified example.

Well it happens when I use some vanilla weapon models to make them static. All references are deleted, but the base object is still there. This happens randomly (completely randomly) and I can't control it. You could go to my mod page and download my mod and see for yourself. (Yangtze Bunker - Player Home)

In case it isn't clear, you probably know more about this than I do anyway and I am using this as a learning exercise. I downloaded your mod (v 1.4) and looked around in geck. I can reproduce the messages. The messages did not come when I first brought up your mod. But I added my own static (I randomly picked weapons/DWUMP9/DWUMP9.nif to base it upon), saved, and reloaded, and then the messages appeared.

There are like six dialogs which pop up one after the other. I only wrote down one of the formid's and refid's, and then I traced it. The message points to a specific MEO object (MEO/dungeons/vault/hallsmall/vhallsmshortstairs.nif) which is in your bsa file, and I can bring that up in nifskope without any errors.

I guess all this means is, you aren't crazy, the same thing happens for me in a clean environment. But I'm afraid I don't have any actual solution. There are at most six of these such parts, maybe less. What happens if you use these parts in another small standalone mod? If you still get the messages then the parts are broken. Are there other variants you could use?

Edited by davidlallen

I've found that sometimes the Record headers get duplicated that will lead to things being deleted, I've mostly seen it when duplicating a cell, saving, then reopening the mod, the cell would remain, but anything inside the cell would be removed. I've found that if after saving the first time, and loading the mod in FNV Edit, it will merge the duplicated headers and everything will work the way it should.