Question about 3D modeling.

radiationnut

He releases files for the 3D models, but that's about it. Can someone tell me, how to make them into mods for my NV?

I'd love to use the Wolfenstein models.

They are 3ds Max models. There's an obj file as well, that imported fine into blender. But before I go into any detail, you need to learn how to work with fallout and it's nif's before you try to convert something like this. Even if you have an affinity for 3D modelling and catch on quick it will be a steep learning curve. There isn't any simple way to do this. It's kind of like saying I'v never worked on a car, but I want to modify this formula 1. Most of our info on the boards is about working with existing nifs so your going to have less feedback on these conversions and you really need to have a decent grasp of the process with fallout assets before you try working with a more complicated workflow of importing Obj files.

Long story short this is the wrong way to go about it, and is just going to complicate your learning process. But if you really want to know here is what I did (I'll convey general terms, but won't go into detail on the specifics since they are tons of tutorials out there).

you'r going to have to import it (obj/wavefront) into blender or 3ds max. I'm going to use blender for this example. Chop off the head and hands. Weight paint it (or cheap out and use the boneweight copy script). Fit it as closely as possible to one of the models then import the skeleton (skeleton only) to parent to the mesh. Export it as a nif. That's where I left off;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/FONV%20Mods-works%20in%20progress/commander_zpsq8ffjbn6.jpg

That's a simplified explanation, it doesn't even address body part data, adding gore caps etc.

Then you need to worrry about texturing the model (a UV map, converting the TGAs to DDS, material properties etc), your job is really just starting.

I'm a relative newbie, so there are plenty of aspects I'v probably missed or failed to explain, but IMHO this *isn't* a job you want to tackle without some prior experience with blender and nifskope.....or you'r just in for a world of frustration.