Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24589329. #24589589, #24589619, #24589869, #24589984, #24590034, #24590139, #24590269 are all replies on the same post.

Maverick11 wrote:
DiaSin wrote: The modders get a maximum of 25% of the profit. How is this them getting what they deserve?
Arendella wrote: Everyone has even said they should of done this years ago.
Back in 2012-2013 when the modding scene was booming and Skyrim's modding community was huge.

A lot of them left nexus, and they could of easily made more money and if they polished it better instead of this really dumbass way of 75% of your proceeds which is Absolutely nothing I might add for the modder themselves, it probably wouldn't of been as a big deal.
Daiyus wrote: I don't think anyone is condemning mod authors for wanting a bit of commercial recompense. Anyone who's made a mod knows how labour intensive it can be.

I think the big complaint is how Valve/Bethesda are handling that business model; they're stripping 75% of that profit away for something that they were happy being distributed for nothing?

That and it completely changes the way the community works. I don't think anyone would complain about having a more prevalent donations system with recommended donations. That at least would be keeping with the ethos of the community.

I personally don't have a problem with paying authors for good work, but let me try it first, don't put it behind a paywall.
salvador33 wrote: If it was about some other method of supporting the modders, everything would be fine. They SHOULD get some money via an alternate system. But how is it not GREED when modders get only 25%?

1)How many mods are based on other people's work and assets? I am sure nobody will be greedy and they will share the profits equally.

2)Why do people complain about DLC? It TAKES TIME for the company to create that product. I think we have all seen where that thinking has led.

3) What happens when Bethesda decides that they will allow mods for their games to only be hosted on Steam? If everyone follows suit, say goodbye to the Nexus. But I am sure that monopolistic practices never hurt any consumers before.

4)If you're being paid, it's not a mod but a DLC. Your work better be stellar since you're now selling me a product and if it breaks I am expecting you to fix it or else. See how this changes the relationships in the community?

I am not against modders being paid for their work, I am against the method implemented.
Maverick11 wrote: 25% is very fair. The platform for modders to begin work is available and ready. That platform cost Bethesda and steam a great deal of money to prepare. It is very easy to for a modder to begin work and entirely hassle free when preparing their next project. 25% is better then nothing which has been the case since the dawn of modding.
pr0 wrote: In all fairness a mod author would make more money making mods on Twitch or YouTube than they'll ever make from the SWS program....because even Youtube and Twitch have better profit splitting policies than this.

I get a 60/40 split from YouTube...and I'm literally nobody, I'm sure far more popular people get 90% or even 100% of what they generate in ad revenue. I have friends that make more in one night on Twitch, just playing games, than a mod author is likely to make from the SWS program in the span of a year.

I'm not sure where Bethesda thinks 25/75 is even a fair split, and I'm not sure why a mod author would think it was either.

There are far more effective ways to monetize content than this.
uszpdoz wrote: this is a good thing guys...now modder will take full attention for their mod....so we wont see any paid mod get abandoned right?

dude. please. stfu. the guyaboveme. please.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never pay for a mod, simply because if I start, when do I finish? How do I keep 200 mods paying for them? But once said that, I think we all should take things in a more mature way. The mod authors are in their right to consider they want to be paid for their work. In the end, it's their time spent and their work done, and we all know in this world few things are for free.

The modding comunity and this site as other sites are great and I don't think (hope I'll be right) this will mean the end of modding as long as the modding community will ignore those mods. There sure will be modders that will go on with the way it's always been, people spending their time making mods for the love of it. There will be others, though, that will think they should charge for their work, and they will be in their right to do so, as we will be in our right to skip or pay for those mods.

What I'd like to ask, (although I'm just a guy that downloads mods) is people to stop for a second and think about it or just count to 10 before spitting whatever comes to their minds, well to be honest, as curiosity I've gone to see the profiles of several of those who have been the most harsh and disrespectful towards the mod authors that decided to join the Valve coup d'etat, were those who had almost no other comment and almost no endorsements... meaning those guys that have been the most incendiary, their profiles show they didn't respect the modding community at all. So please, don't let yourselves get carried away by those guys. The best we can do is to ignore them and the mods for pay. It's us who have to pay for those mods. If we don't pay, they will have to come back or stop.

It's the same as how many of the people that are criticizing this change are using addblock? What would happen if all of us were blocking the adds of this site, nor giving any donation to this site, not thinking that the owners of this site have many costs to have this site running for us to find everything and download with jut one click? Maybe this will be a good thing, for us as a community to ask if we, the ones who have only downloaded mods have done anything to help the community. how many of us have donated for mods we love? how many have really endorsed all the mods we have been using? How many have thanked the mod authors for their altruistic, until the date, efforts to improve the games we play?

In response to post #24589329. #24589589, #24589619, #24589869, #24589984, #24590034, #24590139, #24590269, #24591409 are all replies on the same post.

Maverick11 wrote:
DiaSin wrote: The modders get a maximum of 25% of the profit. How is this them getting what they deserve?
Back in 2012-2013 when the modding scene was booming and Skyrim's modding community was huge.

A lot of them left nexus, and they could of easily made more money and if they polished it better instead of this really dumbass way of 75% of your proceeds which is Absolutely nothing I might add for the modder themselves, it probably wouldn't of been as a big deal.
Daiyus wrote: I don't think anyone is condemning mod authors for wanting a bit of commercial recompense. Anyone who's made a mod knows how labour intensive it can be.

I think the big complaint is how Valve/Bethesda are handling that business model; they're stripping 75% of that profit away for something that they were happy being distributed for nothing?

That and it completely changes the way the community works. I don't think anyone would complain about having a more prevalent donations system with recommended donations. That at least would be keeping with the ethos of the community.

I personally don't have a problem with paying authors for good work, but let me try it first, don't put it behind a paywall.
salvador33 wrote: If it was about some other method of supporting the modders, everything would be fine. They SHOULD get some money via an alternate system. But how is it not GREED when modders get only 25%?

1)How many mods are based on other people's work and assets? I am sure nobody will be greedy and they will share the profits equally.

2)Why do people complain about DLC? It TAKES TIME for the company to create that product. I think we have all seen where that thinking has led.

3) What happens when Bethesda decides that they will allow mods for their games to only be hosted on Steam? If everyone follows suit, say goodbye to the Nexus. But I am sure that monopolistic practices never hurt any consumers before.

4)If you're being paid, it's not a mod but a DLC. Your work better be stellar since you're now selling me a product and if it breaks I am expecting you to fix it or else. See how this changes the relationships in the community?

I am not against modders being paid for their work, I am against the method implemented.
Maverick11 wrote: 25% is very fair. The platform for modders to begin work is available and ready. That platform cost Bethesda and steam a great deal of money to prepare. It is very easy to for a modder to begin work and entirely hassle free when preparing their next project. 25% is better then nothing which has been the case since the dawn of modding.
pr0 wrote: In all fairness a mod author would make more money making mods on Twitch or YouTube than they'll ever make from the SWS program....because even Youtube and Twitch have better profit splitting policies than this.

I get a 60/40 split from YouTube...and I'm literally nobody, I'm sure far more popular people get 90% or even 100% of what they generate in ad revenue. I have friends that make more in one night on Twitch, just playing games, than a mod author is likely to make from the SWS program in the span of a year.

I'm not sure where Bethesda thinks 25/75 is even a fair split, and I'm not sure why a mod author would think it was either.

uszpdoz wrote: this is a good thing guys...now modder will take full attention for their mod....so we wont see any paid mod get abandoned right?
belenbelen wrote: dude. please. stfu. the guyaboveme. please.

Is that sarcasm? Have you ever heard about Early Access games? Most of them cost money, and they are left unfinished and abandoned, and customers have their money taken. Anyone who condones payed mods and other Early Access cancer is a thug. Edited by Celltrex

In response to post #24589329. #24589589, #24589619, #24589869, #24589984, #24590034, #24590139, #24590269, #24591409, #24591504 are all replies on the same post.

Maverick11 wrote:

Celltrex wrote: Is that sarcasm? Have you ever heard about Early Access games? Most of them cost money, and they are left unfinished and abandoned, and customers have their money taken. Anyone who condones payed mods and other Early Access cancer is a thug.

^ And anyone who doesn't support modders making money is selfish. Arguably the real thug.

In response to post #24591304.

TheSabi wrote:

They did approach them. It is even in the steam news article.

The increase in mod author activity of the more prominent mods, like Isoku etc. were not a coincidence. Shame though, I hope this changes and they don't keep doing this.

I have been an avid mod user since Morrowind came out- in fact it's the very thing that made me want to pursue my current career in game design. While I understand Bethesda's desire to earn money off of mods, seeing as it would be an "easy" source of revenue for them- they don't have to do any work- this system they have set up seems designed for failure. The modding community for their games has been around for so long with the unspoken rule being that mods are free, so don't complain to the creator or make unreasonable demands, etc, etc. This has been the underlying feeling for the entire community for as long as I've been around, and this just flies in the face of the very culture of modding.

I can also understand a mod author's desire to get paid for something he worked so tirelessly on, and received no compensation beyond the rare donation. If you worked for hours on something, I can hardly fault you for wanting something in exchange. Many of these authors spend hours upon hours working on and subsequently supporting their mods. On the other hand, I feel modding has been, and should be a hobby and means by which to hone skills that can be parlayed into a career in game design.

I feel the best solution is for those of us with the disposable income to make greater use of the donation button made available here on the Nexus. Don't give your favorite author's a reason to take their mods to the Workshop. That way those of us who would otherwise be able to purchase them from the workshop don't have to, author's with receive more of the funds, and those who can't afford to purchase it can still get it here on the nexus. Furthermore, a donation allows us to download and test a mod first, ensuring it works well with our load order. Of course there is no refund available for a donation, but that's the point- a donation is voluntary and we aren't forced to make it, it's just something you feel the author should get as compensation for the work they've performed.

I know the argument can be made that this is an equally ridiculous solution, as mods should be free, and we shouldn't have to start making more donations, but I doubt this pay system on the Workshop is going anywhere, so it is up to us as Nexus users to support modders here, and prevent them fleeing to the Workshop. If you can afford it, donate. If you can't afford it, make a donation when you can, as you can.

In response to post #24590334.

Arendella wrote:

Chesko and isoku. People dont have any clue about economics. you dont have to be a f*#@ing proffessor. its econ 101, capitalism and monopolistic market behaviour. Again, Cheske and isoku, you are a shame for this community. who wouldnt want a chance working with vakve and beth ? Lol man you both are just kids. h think you are now working with beth ? hahahah let me laugh my arse of while you try to create a real mod which doesnt include a stolencontent.

In response to post #24591304. #24591559 is also a reply to the same post.

TheSabi wrote:
SjoertJansen wrote: They did approach them. It is even in the steam news article.

The increase in mod author activity of the more prominent mods, like Isoku etc. were not a coincidence. Shame though, I hope this changes and they don't keep doing this.

Yeah I added a "Do not Recommend" review of Skyrim on Steam. Now I'm wondering if Bethesda will promote the paid mod at E3.

In response to post #24589329. #24589589, #24589619, #24589869, #24589984, #24590034, #24590139, #24590269, #24591409, #24591504, #24591544 are all replies on the same post.

Maverick11 wrote:

Celltrex wrote: Is that sarcasm? Have you ever heard about Early Access games? Most of them cost money, and they are left unfinished and abandoned, and customers have their money taken. Anyone who condones payed mods and other Early Access cancer is a thug.
Maverick11 wrote: ^ And anyone who doesn't support modders making money is selfish. Arguably the real thug.

25% is NOT fair at all. I don't understand what sort of mental gymnastics you have to tell yourself to think that Valve deserves 75% of a mod that costs 0.25 and the creator wont see a profit until after its made over $400. How much of a shill do you have to be? Not to mention that modding is a hobby not a career. I would gladly donate (read: DONATE) money to a modder that i felt truly deserved it but anyone who thinks they deserve even a cent for a sword retexture is greedy and doesn't understand what modding is truly about. Which is the community.