ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, what a controversy.

This is going to alienate a TON of mod testers who view modding as a hobby and who refuse to pay money to playtest mods still in development.

It's also going to alienate a TON of mod authors who view modding as a career and feel entitled to compensation, and who are going to be sadly dissatisfied with just how little compensation they receive, and the overall loss of respect and support they will suffer. Some of the very best Skyrim mod authors out there are taking a beating online tonight. Is it deserved? Well, that's not for me to say. But it's a safe bet that a lot of the most popular mods are months (if not weeks) away from becoming abandonware.

I'm also very curious to see how the SKSE devs responds to all this. I'm not sure Valve/Bethesda/mod authors who buy into this are on stable legal footing in regards to SKSE.

Ultimately, I think all this will result in a catastrophic loss of interest in modding and/or playing Skyrim at all. And THAT is the worst part of it. I can only speak for myself, but after reading arguments from advocates on both sides of the issue, there's definitely a sour taste in my mouth tonight.

In response to post #24572229. #24572259, #24572264 are all replies on the same post.

IgnacyOrder wrote:
boulegue wrote: people are free to choose if they want to sell their mods or not nexus will not become illegal if they dont allow pirated mod (which they defnetly wont)

free mods will stay free and many modders will only release their work for free
ShwayNorris wrote: its only piracy if the mods are uploaded without the permission of the Aurthur for free. really, they are free to make it paid for on steam and free here, they own the files. but its pretty silly to expect that to happen.

Well I did see more strange stuff happen so I expect everything. I got suspended for saying I dont like the idea. Just for having opinion :( So if Im getting suspended for opinion which dosnt cost anything. Why Nexus wont be targeted for taking money from pockets of those guys? Sorry its 3Am and all this is jsut overhelming so I may exacurate a bit ^^

I would love for every content creator I have ever downloaded a mod from to get paid for their work so that they may apply themselves fully to the art they so clearly love. However. On an average Skyrim playthrough I easily amass over 30 mods, excluding the essentials like patches, fixes and the like. I am not willing to spend that much money on what is essentially DLC at that point, I don't have that kind of income. I'm assuming some authors now have some sort of donation system in place, which is what this Steam Workshop affair should have been.

Frankly, the current state of affairs, both in quantity and quality, is perfectly fine for me as a consumer, and it was obviously fine for many modders as well, which is why Valve's move stinks so much: it wasn't done to promote or help modders, but just to get to more cash. I seriously doubt Valve will police the Workshop enough to prevent theft or low quality submissions, seeing how they've "taken care" of their Greenlight games.

Of course, if any modders feel that what I'm saying is removed from the truth, they are free to correct me. No matter what you guys decide to do in the future, I'll understand your reasoning behind it.

In response to post #24571334. #24571444, #24571634, #24571699, #24572244 are all replies on the same post.

ShwayNorris wrote:
boulegue wrote: people developing without deadlines or publishers in their back cant be good? i thought we hate the big publishers who destroy our games and want exactly what is happening right now
ShwayNorris wrote: your taking something that's free and open and turning it into a closed market, that has never been good in all of history.
boulegue wrote: the market is just as open as it was yesterday or last year we just opened another door and thats the OPTION to charge for your mods noone forces you to sell them just as noone forces you to buy them its all optional
ShwayNorris wrote: making something that was free now have a charge is the same as changing the price of an item, you have now moved something that would previously been readily available to a higher tier, one that some who would have previously enjoyed said product will not be able to attain. you have just narrowed the market because you have excluded some from said product. also, when free, posting to both the Nexus and SteamWorkshop is not a hassle and allows for a broader reach, with the paid Mods being exclusive to steam you have narrowed the reachable audience.

there is no way that this will not have a noticeable impact before summer hits.

nothing that was/is free now cost any money noone took our lollipops away

In response to post #24572569.

phantompally76 wrote:

Im sure I wont be releasing my mod any more. I jsut keep it for myself because I dotn want someone now to steal it and make money for nothing. Or the fact I did use some stuff from modderss recources. Some people now may force me to pay for reeasing mod even thou its free. Makes me criminal then. I guess many modders wont want that problem

Youtuber mod showcases will die as well as it will be expensive hobby now

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:
speash wrote: Signed
ShwayNorris wrote: Signed
Kerros wrote: Signed, thank you for the link
zzjay wrote: Will do tomorrow..cant open from phone :(.

I doubt it'll help...we can simply not buy em.

Way too soon for this kind of knee jerk reaction.

I agree that this COULD be absolutely disastrous. Or it could be wonderful. Or somehow both at the same time.

So, at an 1$ average, I'd need to pay 310$ more for all the mods I currently run?

But wait, without MO and tes5edit merged modding, the limit is 255 mods, so I'll have to scrap 50 of them.

And what about all the people that put rly hard and professional work into a mod and authorised its usage by other modders, they did this believing mods are free.

Now there will be a bunch of sketchy people stealing these quality works, putting them into steam as their own, literally stealing from the honest folk.

Is volvo so greedy?

I expect them to revert this tragic decision.