Nifskope - adding mesh parts

mancika

Hi there! I'm still learning how to tinkle with meshes in nifskope. Just run into a problem.

I took a well working weapon model, added 3 parts to it taken from another well working weapon. Used the Copy Branch command and added the 3 parts on the root node. None are animated parts. The children count seems okay (+3). In game the parts are placed all show up like they should don't move around etc. After I play and quit then try to load the save that has this new weapon on the character the game crashes to desktop.

I tried to rename the parts multiple times to point to other pieces of the orig model but same result. Besides what i said i only moved the parts (and a node) around to be in place and corrected the texture paths to be completely separate from the weapon i took the parts from. (textures also added ofc).

What did i miss? Thx in advance.

Forgot to mention what I added are all showed as nitrishapes and all original mesh parts nitristrips. I don't know the difference or if this is the problem. Used stripify on them. Will test tomorrow since its 3am here. Night:)

Edit: same crash. Double checked GECK stuff, only model can cause the crash.

Edited by mancika

Whenever i pasteing parts onto a nif.

I right click on the bsfadenode or ninode in the target nif where i want to add the blocs on. then go node > attach node nitrishape; right click on the nitrishape node> atach property bsshaderpplightingproperty; node > atach property nimaterialproperty .

then i go copy the data i need from the other nif with copy bloc on the nitrishapedata, paste it into the data ref thingy area in the block details of the nitrishape node i added.

copy the bsshadertextureset into the data ref place on the bsshaderpplightingproperty also.

dono if it has anything at all to do with your issue tho. never had something working and then crashing wheni load the save.

I will try that, thank you. I just tried again exactly the same way as yesterday and it doesn't crash. Also ported out to several locations, completely restarted game and loaded the save. Works now. What i made differently, no clue.

I followed this:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/239709-adding-sights-to-weapons/page__p__2132139__hl__nifskope__fromsearch__1#entry2132139

tells what to do clearly :)

and:

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Making_New_Armor_Using_NifSkope (look at Linking Method 3: Easy Adding)

Seems what u do is skipping the renaming part and building the tree structure from scratch instead. But i will test your way also since its a "clear" solution. Btw is there a difference if i wanna replace the magazine? Copy new branch onto mag node and delete old one?

Hi!

Its good thta its working now for you.

Sometimes it is very mysterious when things go like that.

I never did weapons so i dont know how to build the animated portion of the nif.

I think its hard the clips i saw have niviscontroller with a nitransformcontroller inside of it

I will try to figure that part out tho cause i want to make some animated nifs.

Anyway, Since the nitristrips or nitrishape node already exists on the target nif u can just delete the nitrishape data only.

The geometry data part has no name.

When u add a new nitristrips node onto the nif u have to name it tho and add the shader parts and texture parts and set the flags and stuff. oh and u gota do the nimaterial property also with the color wheels on it.

U can convert the ninode to bsfadenode and back but i cant seem to convert nitristrips node into nitrishape.

I did paste a nitristrips data into a nitrishape node tho and it worked fine in game. I think the next time i exported tho i decided not to stripify tho anyway/

I know now what caused the crash. I want to transfer parts using slam's mods. I got the mag working, pasted the branch into the magazine node, renamed, works. I added a laser stuff and a flashlight, renamed, work. But as i tried to add a handle and/or a grenade launcher it will crash no matter what i do. Thing is they come from the same weapon which works flawlessly in-game. So i really don't know whats going on. Renamed the nodes reordered multiple times, they just crash.

Maybe its the material property. Need to test.

Edited by mancika

Almost complete, works like a charm. I will script it to have normal and grenade fire.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae324/mancer55/Untitled-1.jpg

It was the material property that caused the crash.

Edited by mancika