Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24613709. #24613839, #24614334, #24614794 are all replies on the same post.

Uranium - 235 wrote:
Draugas wrote: lol I encountered a mod like this a couple of months ago when I was browsing Skyrim mods.

I absolutely never figured out what the mod did. I finally chalked it up to being a dependency in some other mod.
TehPikachuHat wrote: Is it bad that the only descriptions I don't just scroll through are Apollodown's? The rest I'm all like "Find what it does. Find required mods. Read comments. Download." Most of the time comments give more honest information than the description to a mod does.
oblivioneero wrote: LOL thats because, i feel, apollodown has a really flavorful way of wording the mods. You want to read them because their a bit rediculous, but he does explain/lay things out crystal clear!

^ this guy has his eye on the ball, focus on improving the Nexus and don't worry so much about the goings on outside of it.

I definitely would prefer some cleaning up for mod description pages, as I often find myself totally lost to the point that I have to use ctrl+f just to find keywords I can use to navigate. Changes to this would be magnificent, possibly to the extent that 'installation instructions' receive their own dedicated tab. Edited by anonownsyou

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if there could be another donation update? Some of us have literally hundreds of mods that we have downloaded, going to each one that we want to donate to and pressing the donate button would take ages! If something is hard or tedious, people are less likely to do it, so make it easier to donate money to a large amount of mods at once.

Make it a list of all the mods you have downloaded, and you can just chose the ones you donate to and how much, all on one page.

In response to post #24599574. #24613394, #24613669 are all replies on the same post.

Nostalgiaheart wrote:
Norard wrote: 2k hours?! You humble me with my paltry 1094! I salute you sir!
Draugas wrote: There is certainly a lot of panic, and a deep breath is warranted, but sadly it's just the start.
Blender is now up on Steam. Thankfully it's GPL, but what plans does Valve have for the inevitable Workshop content? What percentage will they be asking from content devs who want to post there?

1303, suck on that

This sucks. Now because of Valve f*#@ing everything up, people are going to be doubting mods and pulling away from modding, rather than more people coming into modding. Nexus is probably already being looked at as a potential story by Kotaku and other sites, and because of that...f*#@ man...This is such bull. Why couldn't Valve work closer with modders and do their f*#@ing research rather than just do whatever they wanted? Robin, I'm sorry about what's happening. Mod authors, I'm sorry people are so shitty and stealing content. Nexus, DOESN'T THIS SUCK? We had such a great community and awesome mods being made! Now, because Valve done f*#@ed it up, we're gonna have a hard time getting back to where we were....Mod Authors, you guys are the backbone of the community. If you start to fight, then we don't exist anymore. If you wanna sell a mod, go for it. But talk to other modders about it, especially if it uses other mods and stuff. Talk to the people about how much you should sell it for. Don't just go for it and see what happens, because you can see the results here. More bickering and more of the community going down the drain...We have an awesome thing going here. Let's keep our heads high and crack down on the BS Valve made. Nexus is still the place to get the best free mods on the internet!

I'll keep this short.

I am willing to pay for larger mods with significant time & effort put into them, if the author sets up a donation option. Say, a fiver for a particularly good mod.

Smaller mods, no.

On Nexus vs Steam, I've only a few mods subscribed through Steam, most of which I can get on the Nexus anyway. I use the Nexus far more as it offers a greater choice of mods than the Steam Workshop.

The money distribution:

75% to Valve & Bethesda... no no no, that's just not cricket old man. Bethesda I can understand having a decent cut as it IS their game. But Valve? No. It should be the modder getting 75% of the revenue, not anyone else.

That's my tuppence lads 'n' ladies.

Oh, and I might just turn off my adblock for the Nexus, :)

This whole situation just makes me love the Nexus even more. I'll definitely be using the donation system in the future, and am seriously considering getting a premium membership to show my support. <3 Nexus.

In response to post #24614164.

maybenexttime wrote:

Read the comments. They make money if the mod author tells steam to give them a cut because they helped make the mod. It comes from Steam's cut and only happens if the mod author puts it on there. Nexus doesn't just arbitrarily get money from mods.

In response to post #24613709. #24613839, #24613989 are all replies on the same post.

Uranium - 235 wrote:
Draugas wrote: lol I encountered a mod like this a couple of months ago when I was browsing Skyrim mods.

I absolutely never figured out what the mod did. I finally chalked it up to being a dependency in some other mod.
anonownsyou wrote: ^ this guy has his eye on the ball, focus on improving the Nexus and don't worry so much about the goings on outside of it.

I definitely would prefer some cleaning up for mod description pages, as I often find myself totally lost to the point that I have to use ctrl+f just to find keywords I can use to navigate. Changes to this would be magnificent, possibly to the extent that 'installation instructions' receive their own dedicated tab. Embedded video could also benefit from its own tab, and like pictures, could be split to accommodate additions made by users rather than the authors.

Is it bad that the only descriptions I don't just scroll through are Apollodown's? The rest I'm all like "Find what it does. Find required mods. Read comments. Download." Most of the time comments give more honest information than the description to a mod does.