Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

And on the note of the piracy of mods, it really is shameful that the fear of it being stolen prevents others from experiencing the mods. Art being stolen and miscredited is a shoddy thing indeed.

I wonder how this relates to the same concepts of intellectual plagerism in the Art world, and if the same legality applies here?

Edited by oblivioneero

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24599574. #24613394, #24613669, #24614094 are all replies on the same post.

Nostalgiaheart wrote:
Norard wrote: 2k hours?! You humble me with my paltry 1094! I salute you sir!
Draugas wrote: There is certainly a lot of panic, and a deep breath is warranted, but sadly it's just the start.
Blender is now up on Steam. Thankfully it's GPL, but what plans does Valve have for the inevitable Workshop content? What percentage will they be asking from content devs who want to post there?
anonownsyou wrote: 1303, suck on that

@Draugas I believe TB said it was 75%. In case you think that I mistyped; that's seventy-five percent.

In the light of recent events I have just purchased a lifetime premium membership to support you and the nexus - something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Edited by Devmarta

In response to post #24613709. #24613839, #24613989, #24614334 are all replies on the same post.

Uranium - 235 wrote:
Draugas wrote: lol I encountered a mod like this a couple of months ago when I was browsing Skyrim mods.

I absolutely never figured out what the mod did. I finally chalked it up to being a dependency in some other mod.
anonownsyou wrote: ^ this guy has his eye on the ball, focus on improving the Nexus and don't worry so much about the goings on outside of it.

I definitely would prefer some cleaning up for mod description pages, as I often find myself totally lost to the point that I have to use ctrl+f just to find keywords I can use to navigate. Changes to this would be magnificent, possibly to the extent that 'installation instructions' receive their own dedicated tab. Embedded video could also benefit from its own tab, and like pictures, could be split to accommodate additions made by users rather than the authors.
TehPikachuHat wrote: Is it bad that the only descriptions I don't just scroll through are Apollodown's? The rest I'm all like "Find what it does. Find required mods. Read comments. Download." Most of the time comments give more honest information than the description to a mod does.

LOL thats because, i feel, apollodown has a really flavorful way of wording the mods. You want to read them because their a bit rediculous, but he does explain/lay things out crystal clear!

In response to post #24599574. #24613394, #24613669, #24614094, #24614579 are all replies on the same post.

Nostalgiaheart wrote:
Draugas wrote: There is certainly a lot of panic, and a deep breath is warranted, but sadly it's just the start.
Blender is now up on Steam. Thankfully it's GPL, but what plans does Valve have for the inevitable Workshop content? What percentage will they be asking from content devs who want to post there?
xgeneofargox wrote: @Draugas I believe TB said it was 75%. In case you think that I mistyped; that's seventy-five percent.

xgeneofargox, hmm?

I don't think I'm the droid you're looking for.

(ie, I don't know what you're talking about :D)

edit:
Ohhh ok. I mean what percentage from people who will be posting Blender content, not Skyrim mods. Edited by Draugas

Hey hey been so long since I´ve been active in this community, just heard the news, it sounds terrible, steam workshop is already full of stolen content and ripped content from other games and doesn´t do anything about it and now they are going to allow the mods to be sold? This is going to be chaos, I see why the really good and talented modders would like to earn money and it´s fair but the real world there will be problems like people trying to steal these artists work which in the end will end up with these amazing modders we have quitting and stop sharing their amazing work... it can´t be controlled in my opinion, I will be back to modding one day and I will allways keep doing it for free as I do it not for money but for fun and appreciation of other modders. Edited by scot

In response to post #24599574. #24613394, #24613669, #24614094, #24614579, #24614814 are all replies on the same post.

Nostalgiaheart wrote:
xgeneofargox wrote: @Draugas I believe TB said it was 75%. In case you think that I mistyped; that's seventy-five percent.
Draugas wrote: xgeneofargox, hmm?

I don't think I'm the droid you're looking for.

(ie, I don't know what you're talking about :D)

edit:
Ohhh ok. I mean what percentage from people who will be posting Blender content, not Skyrim mods.

2163 hours. I don't know whether to be proud or horrified.

Can we agree this situation has proven yet again that money (at least corporate money) is the root of all evil? Despite what damage Valve/Bethesda has wrought on the modding community by throwing spare change at Nexus and mod authors the real issue is whether or not we still want to have a mod community, in what was until a day or two ago, its present form.

As a once full-time blogger/site owner I know what the lure of easy money and the attention of bigwigs can be like. It makes you entertain ideas that may sound good on paper but can often poison the well for everyone.

I hope Nexus and mod authors take some time to cool down, get their heads together and use this as a learning experience. The modding community is community driven and needs to stay that way to survive and thrive. Otherwise, corporations like Valve and Bethesda take over with their army of lawyers, bean counters and suits. Valve can keep dominating PC sales. They don't need to control the modding community. Bethesda can keep making the games we all love. They don't need to profit from the modding community, even if we use their assets. We all bought their games and will do so again while promoting their products with our mods.

Nexus, you have to aggressively promote modder donations. Valve/Bethesda is forcing your hand but you still have leverage. That's why they wanted to reel you in with a small cut of their profits. Mod authors, don't quit/pull up stakes because of this fiasco or the people foaming at the mouth as a result of it. A lot of the mod users around here appreciate what everyone has done to build up this community, provide excellent content and make it what it is.

I won't put a dime in that Valve pay wall, partly because I never liked how they managed mods and partly because of how poorly this has gone down for everyone. I will start supporting this community again, starting with a lifetime renewal of my Nexus membership, followed by donations to select mod authors who choose to weather this storm.

Well said, Robin. I completely agree with this article, and I, too, hate what Steam is doing. And I hope that Gaben doesn't go corrupt like Shigeru Miyamoto. I hope that Steam doesn't keep getting worse.