Now that paid mods are gone, it's time to count the casualties..

Erinaea

The real thing is if modders expected to be paid for their work in the first place when they had no hopes to monetize on it in the past, why is the community at fault for the sudden backlash when out of the blue the ability to charge for mods pop up and some mod authors start setting up pay walls as a result?

You have to remember this is the internet, and as the internet gives a feeling of anonymity they will always say the most hateful thought in their minds as the conscience doesn't create as strong of a barrier when you're not facing someone. That's why when I recieve death threats, as I have in the past for things not part of the community, I don't take them seriously when they're online. Of course in real life I flex my muscles and demonstrate my array of defensive capabilities and normally the idiot backs down.

Of course that's just me, and I can see how some people took it waaay too personably. I looked at this whole ordeal from the standpoint of theft. I was afraid for the mod authors. Someone could have stolen their original content and posted it. It didn't have to be a big shot, but a small fry with a few good armor mods or such. Someone that wasn't well known so it wasn't possible for the community to instantly realize that the thief had commited theft.

The best way to monetize mods I think is for mod authors to showcase their prowers. Valve or Bethesda could then put them and any supporting people together and they can fine tune the mod(s) into a package. This package can then be sold for a nominal fee. Hell in time when enough packages are up and running I'm sure the authors will design good compatability together for this. That's how I think free mods can turn into paid mods. The way they set it up this time was way too shady. Otherwise just start off with a new game with paid/free mods at the same time. Though I feel that might promote laziness in the long run for developers as they rely on user content to feed their creations instead of directly supporting it themselves. Reason why I stopped playing TF2 when the community items crap popped up.

edited for grammar.

Edited by jackknife402

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. I saw both sides rip into each other. So I don't care for anyone, really. The community got ripped apart from any sign of cash. The modders that left are still alright in my book, since you know, people treated them like s#*!. But why did they listen to a bunch of idiots in the first place? I mean, it's the friggin internet! But whatever, if they want to use that as their excuse, so be it. I hope they have a good job, since all that cash from paid mods is gone and now they can't make a living like they once did ....

After all of this I know for sure I am done with modding, I had a number of armors that I wanted to finish and a couple of personal mods that I had thought about perfecting for the community but now I really so no reason to. Also I am taking down my retextures I really only uploaded those for a few people and they can always get it from me, I honestly feel disdain for the so called community of entitlement and their atrocious behavior these past days.

Hmm. Says the person who feels entitled to our money for his hobbyist work. Remind me who the entitled ones are? This isn't a case of "toxic community" this wasn't even an option on the table until a week ago. Now you don't get the money you feel entitled to because the gaming community said no, we will not pay for that. This is just you throwing a tantrum, taking your ball and going home. Fine. Do that, but do it quietly. Nobody is interested in your histrionics. And you know what? My money, our money, is what makes this industry work. Your damn right I'm entitled. At the very lest I am entitled to an opinion and if that opinion upsets you, well, that's unfortunate, but, that's life.

Best of luck in the future and hopefully you can find a paying job in this industry.

edit: Now, I understand a lot of modders were on the receiving end of a lot of verbal abuse, and I can sympathize for that, as that is obviously not acceptable... but to paint a community as large as this with one brush because of a few bad apples is hyperbole, plain and simple.

Edited by slumpywpg

After all of this I know for sure I am done with modding, I had a number of armors that I wanted to finish and a couple of personal mods that I had thought about perfecting for the community but now I really so no reason to. Also I am taking down my retextures I really only uploaded those for a few people and they can always get it from me, I honestly feel disdain for the so called community of entitlement and their atrocious behavior these past days.

Hmm. Says the person who feels entitled to our money for his hobbyist work. Remind me who the entitled ones are? This isn't a case of "toxic community" this wasn't even an option on the table until a week ago. Now you don't get the money you feel entitled to because the gaming community said no, we will not pay for that. This is just you throwing a tantrum, taking your ball and going home. Fine. Do that, but do it quietly. Nobody is interested in your histrionics. And you know what? My money, our money, is what makes this industry work. Your damn right I'm entitled. At the very lest I am entitled to an opinion and if that opinion upsets you, well, that's unfortunate, but, that's life.

Best of luck in the future and hopefully you can find a paying job in this industry.

edit: Now, I understand a lot of modders were on the receiving end of a lot of verbal abuse, and I can sympathize for that, as that is obviously not acceptable... but to paint a community as large as this with one brush because of a few bad apples is hyperbole, plain and simple.

Difference is that no one was forcing people to pay for mods. You don't want to pay? Don't pay and use an alternative mod. Having choices is a good thing.

Modding for me is a hobby so I would never expect to be paid for it, at best I just want people to enjoy the game and like the content I create. It's the same reason I draw or write, I've never really expected compensation for that unless someone wants to pay me to create a specific thing for them. However I do know that some of these modders pour hours, sometimes months or years of time and energy to make something great, and I do think they should be compensated for all their hard work if they feel inclined.

At the same time, it's silly for modders to just stop making mods because they aren't being paid when that option only just appeared, especially those that have been making mods for a long time. You're going to quit because you're not getting money for something you've never made money off of before? Something that was actually ILLEGAL for you make money off of up until now? That line of logic just seems a little ass backwards to me. Flip side of that coin, if I was attacked and berated by people because I wanted to make a living off of something I worked hard on, yeah, I wouldn't want to make things for them any more either. No one is really right or wrong in this, all I know is that I never liked the idea of mods becoming like DLC, and I myself would not pay for all of the 200 mods on my load order, simply because I don't have that kind of money to throw on making my craft menu look nicer. I splurge on games rarely and most of the time count on mods to get the most out of my money.

Still, coming onto the Nexus after this all started was a little like

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/fire_community.gif

Difference is that no one was forcing people to pay for mods. You don't want to pay? Don't pay and use an alternative mod. Having choices is a good thing.

Well not really, some mods are one of a kind and you can't just go find a different one. There's only one SkyUI, one Inigo, one Immersive Armors, one Flora Overhaul. You won't be able to find replacements for a lot of great mods, and it'd suck if you had to settle for mods that might be vastly inferior.

Well not really, some mods are one of a kind and you can't just go find a different one. There's only one SkyUI, one Inigo, one Immersive Armors, one Flora Overhaul. You won't be able to find replacements for a lot of great mods, and it'd suck if you had to settle for mods that might be vastly inferior.

The best mods have always been unique, but that doesn't mean you have some inherent right to them. Those mods are unique and there's no option now, but if they were not free there's a very reasonable chance that alternatives would be created maybe even by you.

I just came up with something to explain my view of this situation over on the official forums based on this quote:

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Maimonides.

Chesko, Arthmoor, and the SkyUI team have always shared freely with the community. They have been master fishermen and mentors to others. They said that they would gladly continue help people learn to fish but those who just wanted to eat what had already been caught would have to pay a little. The community demanded their usual free daily catch of fish and have gotten it for now. I understand that it's easier to just eat the free fish someone else caught, but to keep expecting them to fish for you every day is definitely entitlement.

What is more valuable to the community the knowledge of how to construct mods or the mods themselves? Choose wisely because in the longer term you could end up with neither.

No one is forcing you to make mods if you don't like that it's free. If you want to do paid work, there's plenty of actual place to do it. Modding isn't one of them.

Having choice is good like you said. We've chosen that we didn't want modding to become a competition for profit.

As a minor modder, I'd say the paid opportunity was tempting, but the cut is too low for my liking. Had it been 70%, I'd be game.

However, I disagree with the notion that there is no reward from modding. It helped me to get a job when I had zero work experience. In addition, I treat my contributoin as part of an honour system. Just as others can benefit from my mods for free, I also get to use ther people's work for free.

I enjoy loading my TES games with 100+ of mods and so do most of you.

As for those who lamented the loss of this ridiculous proposition from Valve, I don't pity them. 25% is too low and too exploitative. Had it been 70% and no $100 profit threshold, I can understand the temptation. But no, they wanted a shitty deal for themselves which is a move I consider to be incredibly stupid.

Like others have said, the Skyrim community will recover. The people lost would've been unlikely to continue for much longer anyway given their pre-existing discontent with the lack of monetization.