Will we see more or less mods now?

Hexxagone

The paid mod feature could have made a bunch of people work on mods that they haven't finished by the time Valve removed paid modding, They might still release their mods anyway. The increased publicity for Skyrim could also have inspired some modders to come back. On the flip side, we might see less mods now with all the negativity towards Steam. Do you think we will see more or less mods uploaded in the next few weeks?

The paid workshop gave me an incentive to look at working on Skyrim rather than having to build an entire game from the ground up to try to make money in games. I may still give skyrim modding a shot anyway.

Edited by lordputdon

I don't think it'll make much of a difference in gross numbers, but i have a feeling that the renowned modders that were developing new versions of their famous mods, like Chesko and isoku, are not coming back to finish what they left behind. And I don't blame them.

There was like about 15 mods for sale on the workshop, few of which were commanded by Valve to Dota2 and TF2 cash shop sellers, and only a handful more trying to get approved. The majority of modders are against the idea of selling mods so you will continue to see as many mods as before. Beside, there are still mods being made for Morrowind and Oblivion and Fallout (Trainwiz will be releasing one for NV soon BTW ;)). So I would expect Skyrim to last a few more years again.

There's plenty of marketplaces on the web to sell assets and services if some people really wanted to sell their hard work stuff.

Edited by Caithe

Modding will continue. I updated two of my mods today. But I suspect there will be long term consequences because of the community's angry mob reaction.

I don't even like the donate option on the Nexus because I would prefer that money be kept as far away from modding as possible, but the harassment and death threats aimed at previously well-respected modders who have given so much to the community (like Arthmoor, Chesko, Schlangster, and Mardoxx) is far more disturbing.

The angry reaction was, well a complete over reaction. It was calm rational debate that changed Phenderix mind after all, not harassment and death threats.

I can understand the anger, my initial reaction was one of slowly mounting rage as the details of the cluster[censored] filtered out, but I pushed the keyboard away, got up, went outside, walked down to the pub, had a pint & a cigarette, walked home then read the latest updates. I unendorsed a few mods, re-endorsed a couple when Phenderix had his change of heart, but otherwise bit my tongue and refrained from commenting when I knew I was still angry but no longer incensed.

So I can understand the anger behind some of the worst of the behaviour of the past few days, but I cannot condone it.

It seems like the age old art of taking a deep breath, counting to ten then saying something has been lost.

The angry reaction was, well a complete over reaction. It was calm rational debate that changed Phenderix mind after all, not harassment and death threats.

I can understand the anger, my initial reaction was one of slowly mounting rage as the details of the cluster[censored] filtered out, but I pushed the keyboard away, got up, went outside, walked down to the pub, had a pint & a cigarette, walked home then read the latest updates. I unendorsed a few mods, re-endorsed a couple when Phenderix had his change of heart, but otherwise bit my tongue and refrained from commenting when I knew I was still angry but no longer incensed.

So I can understand the anger behind some of the worst of the behaviour of the past few days, but I cannot condone it.

It seems like the age old art of taking a deep breath, counting to ten then saying something has been lost.

Or at least the art of knowing who actually deserves your anger, in this case Valve and Bethesda, not the modders.