Are you for real Midas Magic?

walshy71

Heard about a mod having popups. Was of course a terrible idea, but one that was bound to happen based on the climate bethesda&steam created. You just have the tough luck on being the first or at least the most visible one.

I wish you all the best. I haven't used midas magic but noticed it was quite a popular mod. Good luck in your future endeavors.

It is a Legit post from the unfortunate Midas Magic Evolved team that happened to get caught in the blast radius of my mistakes. Here's what I posted on the thread.

So, First this post is from the Midas Magic Evolved team. Not me. It's a different, unaffiliated mod. They picked up development when I dropped out when my son was born. They don't deserve the hate, this is on me. I've been talking to them since the NDA has been lifted about releasing all the new content I created to them as well.

Second, I'm sorry. Bethesda reached out to me (twice) and it appeared to all of us that this was a good idea instead of a terrible mistake. Valve is killing the program and refunding the money. They may still pay those of us who contributed. If they do, I'm giving it to charity, split between American Cancer Society and my local church.

The pop-up message, also a bad idea. It has always been my intent to have a free version of Midas Magic available. When Steam released the paid mods, I also released an update to the free one as well with 5 of the 20 new spells available. I wanted to make sure that if anyone switched between the free version or the paid (upgrade or refund), that it wouldn't break their saves and they could keep playing.

To make this happen, I left all the new spells that were in the Gold Edition also in the Free one. I removed them from the spells books and they aren't advertised as officially part of the Mod. But they're buried in the Free version.

So as to not cheat the Paying Customers On a few of the better Spells, I put in some code that displays a notice occasionally asking that they buy the mod. Dumb Idea, I didn't consider the number of folks that would PSB and not see the difference. I took it out but by then it was too late.

So, I'm sorry. I actually applied for a job at Bethesda years ago and didn't get it. So when they reached out to me it was an opportunity to prove myself. The money was not the objective to me. I still thank them and Valve for the consideration.

I'm not posting this for sympathy. I'm posting to take ownership of my mistakes. Hopefully this also helps the community get past it.

Hey mate, thanks for letting us know what happened on your side of things. I'll admit I was also pretty miffed at the concept of popups in Skyrim, but it means a lot that you've realized the mistake in hindsight, and are making amends.

I've used your mods in the past and have appreciated the new spells they've always offered, and as such I'll be sure to support you (with a donation too, eventually) should you decide to continue modding.

Thanks.

The pop up decision was not your shining moment. I found it very distasteful and a bit spiteful.

He already apologized. Be grateful that mods even exist.

Leave me alone. Plenty of other people commenting. Half the reason there's so much hate in the community is people trying to tell others to back down and appreciate what things they have. Let a person comment and you'd see far less spite in return. Especially when you target one person and not others.

Edited by Levantinium

It is a Legit post from the unfortunate Midas Magic Evolved team that happened to get caught in the blast radius of my mistakes. Here's what I posted on the thread.

So, First this post is from the Midas Magic Evolved team. Not me. It's a different, unaffiliated mod. They picked up development when I dropped out when my son was born. They don't deserve the hate, this is on me. I've been talking to them since the NDA has been lifted about releasing all the new content I created to them as well.

Second, I'm sorry. Bethesda reached out to me (twice) and it appeared to all of us that this was a good idea instead of a terrible mistake. Valve is killing the program and refunding the money. They may still pay those of us who contributed. If they do, I'm giving it to charity, split between American Cancer Society and my local church.

The pop-up message, also a bad idea. It has always been my intent to have a free version of Midas Magic available. When Steam released the paid mods, I also released an update to the free one as well with 5 of the 20 new spells available. I wanted to make sure that if anyone switched between the free version or the paid (upgrade or refund), that it wouldn't break their saves and they could keep playing.

To make this happen, I left all the new spells that were in the Gold Edition also in the Free one. I removed them from the spells books and they aren't advertised as officially part of the Mod. But they're buried in the Free version.

So as to not cheat the Paying Customers On a few of the better Spells, I put in some code that displays a notice occasionally asking that they buy the mod. Dumb Idea, I didn't consider the number of folks that would PSB and not see the difference. I took it out but by then it was too late.

So, I'm sorry. I actually applied for a job at Bethesda years ago and didn't get it. So when they reached out to me it was an opportunity to prove myself. The money was not the objective to me. I still thank them and Valve for the consideration.

I'm not posting this for sympathy. I'm posting to take ownership of my mistakes. Hopefully this also helps the community get past it.

Regardless of if it's for sympathy, I'd still like to say I'm sorry for any offense that might have been caused by the comment I posted on the Midas Magic Nexus page (which appears to be set to hidden); it might not have been as vile as some of the others, especially on the Workshop (one of the many reasons I prefer the Nexus over it, since the immaturity is much stronger there), I guess it's bothered me enough for me to come over here and apologize for it. Believe me when I say I've used your mods often, especially SoA, but the reasons for your long silence weren't clear to me prior, and so your sudden re-appearance (at least to me who doesn't pay much attention beyond my list of tracked mods) with the paid mods introduction as one of the paid mods was somewhat disconcerting, and it provoked a bit of a kneejerk reaction. Anyway, I wish for you the best, and I hope this episode hasn't been especially hurtful to you now that it's over for the most part. Whether or not you want to continue with your mod(s) is your choice, but it isn't your obligation to serve us.

Edited by seventonblade

• 2 weeks later...

The pop up decision was not your shining moment. I found it very distasteful and a bit spiteful.

Thanks for the comment. I don't mind people disagreeing with what I did. I did it mostly out of my own broken sense of humor without understanding the gravity of the situation. I really did it to poke fun at the whole paid mods thing as a more light-hearted wtf. When the entire internet spiralled out of control it came across as mean, selfish, evil, spiteful because the entire situation was magnified 1000 fold. Had I seen that coming, you bet I would've done things differently.

Regardless of if it's for sympathy, I'd still like to say I'm sorry for any offense that might have been caused by the comment I posted on the Midas Magic Nexus page (which appears to be set to hidden); it might not have been as vile as some of the others, especially on the Workshop (one of the many reasons I prefer the Nexus over it, since the immaturity is much stronger there), I guess it's bothered me enough for me to come over here and apologize for it. Believe me when I say I've used your mods often, especially SoA, but the reasons for your long silence weren't clear to me prior, and so your sudden re-appearance (at least to me who doesn't pay much attention beyond my list of tracked mods) with the paid mods introduction as one of the paid mods was somewhat disconcerting, and it provoked a bit of a kneejerk reaction. Anyway, I wish for you the best, and I hope this episode hasn't been especially hurtful to you now that it's over for the most part. Whether or not you want to continue with your mod(s) is your choice, but it isn't your obligation to serve us.

Really thank you. You're one of the very few that has been so kind. I feel sorry for us all with respect to that. I'm grateful you took the time and understand my situation. I wish I had the time to keep modding. Midas was so far behind. Bethesda reached out to me twice. I had to put some other work on hold to help with this that honestly I could barely afford to do so you can imagine my disappointment on how this all turned out XD

Thank you again.

X