Jumbled Maze of Death

SageRaintree

I would like to see a place that is huge and filled with different enemies, it would be scary and maze like. One way in, one way out. I like huge rambling buildings. Filled with surprises and danger. The placement of mannekins and posters would add to the ambience. Blood trails leading you to different areas, rooms that were once elegant and held riches, now ransacked. A dark damp basement area full of mold and spores. An attic where the family secrets were locked away. Who originaaly lived there? What became of this wealthy family. Perhaps a member or two still live. Why does the ashtray still hold a smoking cigar. Who was sitting at the dining room table eating and drinking just moments before. What is that noise, where is it coming from, so many rooms, so many doors. What terror awaits on the other side. Why have you come here? Is it a legend of a mighty weapon, or perhaps riches that await. Edited by SageRaintree

I was thinking along the lines of the Fallout 3 Dupont building or the Point Lookout mansion. Most building in FNV are to cut and dry. I like the feeling that I as I continue to explore I might be getting in to deep. Wasn't I just here, which way now type of thing. When I was playing FNV a guy was actually stuck behind a door. I knew he was there but it was awhile before I realized he was stuck behind the door. What I guess I am trying to say is a haunted mansion type thing.

well, i liked vault 34, especially with all those creepy ghouls around.

you could hear them everywhere, but none could be seen.

And suddenly a small group runs towards you with their arms raised for more than just a mere hug.

Also a little "maze-like", run here and there, find that door, go back there and so on and so forth.

And YES, more of those, even more challenging :D

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking of the same thing last week.

I wanted to make a huge mansion that keeps changing as you go through it, set up with triggers that will change the layout, but I need a good story for it. Also Na-meshing would probably be a nightmare. I don't know how to nav-mesh anyway, so we would need someone who could figure out the intricacies of that.

I'm all for it though, I would design the level and all the changing floor plan as you went through it. But we would need a good story concept first and a place to put it.

Joshua

I've been thinking- what about Nanites- i.e. sand-grain-sized robots that can manipulate molcules? It could even be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claytronics

The story could be that the Gov't was developing nanites for some project (radiation removal, construction, remote disintegration/missiles, etc.) and the machines ran amok after the Great Wa. They would probably rely on swarm robotics and/or have a central mainframe; in the case of the latter, it could be an organic AI that is slowly going insane due to age and the effects of prolonged isolation, so it could be something like portal where an insane computer is using you as a lab rat.

I've been thinking- what about Nanites- i.e. sand-grain-sized robots that can manipulate molcules? It could even be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claytronics

The story could be that the Gov't was developing nanites for some project (radiation removal, construction, remote disintegration/missiles, etc.) and the machines ran amok after the Great Wa. They would probably rely on swarm robotics and/or have a central mainframe; in the case of the latter, it could be an organic AI that is slowly going insane due to age and the effects of prolonged isolation, so it could be something like portal where an insane computer is using you as a lab rat.

Thats f***ing brilliant dude, I love it.

You could even take it a step further because it says " to create individual nanometer-scale computers called claytronic atoms, or catoms, which can interact with each other to form tangible 3-D objects that a user can interact with".

Because I don't know how we would manage to create a swarm without someone who can create it form scratch we could have the project so advanced that the the computer would be mimicking bio-organisms and you could have enemies that automatically disintegrate when you kill them, or even the same enemy over and over. The project could have been to create soldiers or defense systems as well.

I think it would work much better in a vault, military or facility setting than in a mansion though.

Still,, a military facility would have defenses... have you read Michael Crichtons (know I'm spelling that wrong) Swarm? It's about something very similar to that- a desert lab where the nanites become sentient. The researchers are "assimilated" as the nanites stick to their skin and slowly feed off of them while making them slaves.

EDIT: faulty memory, it's Prey, not swarm...

Edited by TrooperScooperMKII

So, what exactly do you need help with to get this working? I have modest experience in GIMP as well as Notepad ++ (for Sins of a Solar Empire modding, as well as a stint with Medieval 2) and I've worked fairly regularly on my own levels with GECK for the past two weeks. Aside from that, I also started a Sci -Fi novel (~41 pages so far) about three weeks ago, and I fancy myself a decent writer...