More Kudos and Endorsements for Modders

hawkfist

I have been playing Oblivion for three years, the first year on Xbox, then for the past 2 years on PC. I joined the nexus forums ... a few months ago ... I've been in the chat room 3 or 4 times, I've endorsed a bunch of my favorite mods (but not nearly all of the ones I've played/still play) and I've given out 2 or 3 kudos to the 2 or 3 members who took the time to comment on my 2 or 3 previous posts. And that's what I want to talk about ... 14,500 downloads for "Enter the Shinobi" (as my most recent example) and 69 endorsements. What's up with that? There is an inequity here that the community might want to address.

The new Elder Scrolls V is coming and from what I've read it remains an open question whether the game will have a construction set and be as readily mod-able (new verb?) as TES IV. If it isn't, isn't than an outrage? And might it not be related to the issue I've raised above?

As a newbie I'm uniquely (un)qualified to comment on the following:

1) Joining these forums is not sufficiently simple/inviting - it should be made even simpler - every visitor to the download sight should be invited to join. And forum-phobia (I invented that! I think.) should be reduced (Heck, I'm afraid right now that this post will "get me in trouble.")

2) Posting endorsements shouldn't require that you downloaded *that* version of the mod as this has made it too difficult for me to endorse mods I DL'd months ago but have since been updated

3) The admins might want to add a feature whereby non-members can post Non-Member Endorsements (it would be nice for the 15,000 DLs to mean 14,800 endorsements, even if not 15,000 new members). Those-in-the-know could choose to ignore non-member endorsements when choosing mods.

Please don't get me wrong. Bethesda rocks. This community rocks. The modders are my heroes. Dark0ne rules. Those are my honest feelings. But I would love to be able to endorse all the mods I DL'd in the past and neglected to endorse (because I wasn't yet a member), and I'd love Bethesda to see mods with tens of thousands of endorsements instead of 20-2,000. I for one probably won't even buy TES V if this community won't be doing mods for it.

Just my two cents.

Thanks again to this community for 100s of hours of gaming joy.

As a P.S. I just realized this might have been better posted in feedback, rather than here. I can't figure out how to move it (newbie) so if an admin can move it for me, or tell me how, that would be great. Sorry if people feel this is indeed the wrong section for this.

Edited by hawkfist

Moved to feedback at OP request.

Answers:

1. Yes we could make it easier to join, that makes it easier for spam accounts and trolls too. We chose to limit those type by making it just a little more difficult. Although the invite to join may be a good idea.

2. Once it was easier to rate a mod. We had massive trolling, vote fraud, rating without bothering to play or even download the mods. Yes, there were many more ratings, however most of them were trash ratings. If they even bothered to post a reason for the rating they looked like this: ( I don't like this mod because all these kind of mods suk) Or (Great mod I give it a ten. I'll play it as soon as I figure out how to download it for xbox :wallbash:

Using a rating system that went from 1 to 10 , 98% of the ratings were either 1 or 10 with very few in between. :rolleyes: We chose quality over quantity. :thumbsup: The current system does away with most of those.

3. If they really want comment or rate mods, that is one of the perks of joining. Besides, Joining is FREE! We actually make all these great mods available for absolutely no charge. However, if you want to help, we do have a premium member category. You don't get any more mods, but they do download faster. And you don't see the advertising any more. (The advertising pays the bills and makes the site possible.)

Thanks for the endorsement of the site. We really appreciate it. :wub:

Thanks bben46. An example of the wisdom that comes from experience. I stand corrected. And, I will become a paid member. I've got a job (when I'm not playing Oblivion) and the least I can do is join this site that has given me so much enjoyment. Thanks for replying to my post! Hmm, now I just have to figure out how to join. (Kidding, I can probably handle it.) Ah, and thanks for the "Great mod I give it a ten. I'll play it as soon as I figure out how to download it for xbox." That's freakin' hilarious!!! :laugh: