SKSE not working

JesseCirulis

So im trying to help my friend with modding skyrim and we're installing skse now.
We install it all correctly, following gopher's video but moving to

so we can launch it through skyrim.
all works well until skyrim loads up, we type getskseversion, but it says command not available. We have run the skse_loader (now TESV) as admin but still no help, someone help me please as i cant leave this it is bugging me hard and i want to help him ahha

Double check the size on that TESV.exe file and make sure Steam hasn't refreshed it for you. That whole idea of renaming the game executable is filled with problems. The biggest one is that if Steam is keeping your game up-to-date and sees that the core game files have been changed it will fix them for you. That's my best guess at what might be going wrong.

I would be far better and so much easier to just add the skse_loader program as an external game to your list of Steam apps. The steps for that would be:

1) Extract the contents of the SKSE archive file into your main Skyrim folder so that its EXE and DLL files now appear beside the game files and its Data folder gets merged with your Skyrim Data folder.

2) In the Steam client click on Add a Game, choose to Add a Non-Steam Game..., browse to the Skyrim folder and choose skse_loader.exe, and if you like you can give it a prettier name for the Steam shortcut.

Double check the size on that TESV.exe file and make sure Steam hasn't refreshed it for you. That whole idea of renaming the game executable is filled with problems. The biggest one is that if Steam is keeping your game up-to-date and sees that the core game files have been changed it will fix them for you. That's my best guess at what might be going wrong.

I would be far better and so much easier to just add the skse_loader program as an external game to your list of Steam apps. The steps for that would be:

1) Extract the contents of the SKSE archive file into your main Skyrim folder so that its EXE and DLL files now appear beside the game files and its Data folder gets merged with your Skyrim Data folder.

2) In the Steam client click on Add a Game, choose to Add a Non-Steam Game..., browse to the Skyrim folder and choose skse_loader.exe, and if you like you can give it a prettier name for the Steam shortcut.

And what size should the TESV be?

Are you sure this will fix it?

Cause i think it's something to do with the actual skse files, because even when we try to launch the TESV straight out of the skyrim folder it has the same affect as launching through steam?

Edited by JesseCirulis

TESV is something over 17 meg. The SKSE loader program a bit over 100 K, so it should be really easy to spot the difference.

I have no idea what the real problem is, but if TESV was reset then of course it has the same behavior in both cases.