What is up with you guys?

TheCalliton

Maybe motion controllers aren't such a bad idea. All that jumping around, running in place and swinging an imaginary sword should be good exercise for the couch potatoes. :thumbsup:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe motion controllers aren't such a bad idea. All that jumping around, running in place and swinging an imaginary sword should be good exercise for the couch potatoes. :thumbsup:

The only problem with Kinect is that with all the different things you can do in TES you're going to run out of detectable movements and gestures that do something quickly. Accessing the inventory will then require a double summersault!

I really hate those mods where they have a girl looking like a 10 year old anime puppet carrying a sword the size of a cannon and screaming "nyah! hah!" like a hello kitty or something and when people endorse it saying "oh my god, that is such a great mod!".. I mean THAT is departing from the TES tradition..

Ok, ive seen people posting stuff like

"add vats to skyrim"

"add perks!"

"use the kinect!"

the elder scrolls series is not Fallout 3

it is not wii sports (dont know any kinect game titles)

it is NOT another series, it is in the TES series, so why ask for all these things? I admit, perks are a good idea, but the way they were implemented in FO3 is not good for TES

TES has a set style, and they wont stray from it guys, so why do you ask for these things? i mean seriously? They can sound like good ideas, but picture oblivion with vats... it would suck! imagine oblivion with the kinect! it isnt possible! im sorry if i seem like a total horse's rear end, but this is just unrealistic! I myself would love a motion senser TES game, it sounds epic! but it wouldnt be TES, it would be something different!

sorry for my rant, but please, think things through

-TheCalliton

You seem a little overwhelmed by these new ideas, one of which I started in a thread 'round these here parts. That being the possibility that VATS could be effectively used in melee. Take a deep breath and relax, man. :biggrin: It's all in fun, this playing-with-possibilities. It is how you create.

Your tones are a little off, though. What's coming across to my mind, in this thread and in the one I started, is a pretty obvious disdain you have for people that like to talk about new ideas, as if we are being childish and don't understand a series that we are playing just like you (and in my case, playing since its inception). "Think things through?" Really... :no:

Ranting is all good and fine, but pretending to be superior is a crock.

Did you understand the point of why I introduced VATS and Bullet Time discussions into the fray? I've only seen a lot of knee-jerk reactions and explanations that aren't very well thought out/developed, such as *paraphrasing here from another thread/post* "slow mo is only a modern thing and is never done in medieval games/films". The logic being that since it's never been done, it can't be done.

If you would have thought about it more, you might have realized that it has been done before. Playing with visual/perceived speed is a cinematographic technique called ramping. I guess you have never watched 300 or Troy... :turned:

My take on the whole VATS and/or Bullet Time thing comes down to locational damage selection (my personal least favorite) and/or aspects of slow motion combat (more fav), respectively. I don't know how you play the Fallout games, but mine are very hard, based around FWE and Arwen's Realism Tweaks, and combat is not an ongoing affair. It's much deadlier and to the point, like in reality. Bullet Time reflects heightened senses in reality very well. Time does slow down perceptually in real-life combat situations, and the same is true for hand to hand/melee fighting. I play with player damage in VATS, and usually don't ever use VATS as it gets me killed. I prefer Bullet Time.

I would like to see melee more dangerous, like in reality. Bullet Time would fit in very well with a combat system that was, at least, a bit more complicated (Deadly Reflex-like) than the vanilla Oblivion system. To say that such an addition wouldn't be TES or wouldn't fit into the series makes me wonder just how someone views the differences that were introduced in TES IV after TES III, because character development was radically changed (whole weapon and armor categories were destroyed, the whole guild advancement system was dumbed-down...in fact, the whole experience was dumbed-down), horses were introduced, levitation was taken out, etc. Many could argue that TES IV was not in line with TES. This whole discussion could have happened six years ago...and it would have been wrong then, we can see that now, because the changes that were brought into TES IV obviously were/are part of TES, by definition.

And one last note: remember, I'm talking about the Principles behind these mods/game aspects, not the things themselves. Obviously, in a fantasy world, we're not going to have a wrist-born supercomputational adrenalin-controlling fight advisor...such parallels are not necessary at all, and obscure the point of increasing the TES V combat experience.

I want the game dynamics to be realistic. A sudden slowdown that makes no sense kills the immersion.

Edited by melkormgc

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, ive seen people posting stuff like

"add vats to skyrim"

"add perks!"

"use the kinect!"

the elder scrolls series is not Fallout 3

it is not wii sports (dont know any kinect game titles)

it is NOT another series, it is in the TES series, so why ask for all these things? I admit, perks are a good idea, but the way they were implemented in FO3 is not good for TES

TES has a set style, and they wont stray from it guys, so why do you ask for these things? i mean seriously? They can sound like good ideas, but picture oblivion with vats... it would suck! imagine oblivion with the kinect! it isnt possible! im sorry if i seem like a total horse's rear end, but this is just unrealistic! I myself would love a motion senser TES game, it sounds epic! but it wouldnt be TES, it would be something different!

sorry for my rant, but please, think things through

-TheCalliton

I could not agree more. Simply could not. It saddens me to see that Beth have included perks and made only 18 skills this time around. :(

Why couldn't TES have VATS? Do you seriously think by that it's meant that the game should have a PIPboy and vats? :teehee:

Of course it doesn't have to be called that or even look like that, it just should give the user the ability to target certain body parts for different effects.

Maybe you like mundanely swinging away time after time at enemies, just knocking off hit points with each blow, but I would personally really like to see the combat system advanced upon and given more depth. The ability to aim for an enemies legs to slow him down or cripple that sword arm he is using would really make it interesting.

Technically, Oblivion has perks. It's all in the naming. Remember the 'walk on water' you get when your Acrobatics is 100, or how you could use just one ingredient for alchemy when you mastered it?

Case in point. TES already has perks and other things you "don't" like from Fallout 3. They are just introduced differently and have a different facade.

All the cool new features from Fallout 3 can be implimented without breaking the TES immersion and give the game more depth and interest.

Seriously.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

Why couldn't TES have VATS? Do you seriously think by that it's meant that the game should have a PIPboy and vats? :teehee:

Of course it doesn't have to be called that or even look like that, it just should give the user the ability to target certain body parts for different effects.

Looking at it from this point of view something similar to VATS or ironsights could be implemented to the aiming of a bow without departing from the Medieval atmosphere. It would be representative of a marksman's ability to squint one eye and focus on his target. Just change the sound effect from that hydraulic-like thing to the sound of a bow string being pulled and you'd have yourself a winner.

ugh!

oblivion is already good as it is, it always been good(the GAME, not the PLAYABILITY,referring to TESdaggerfall)

ok, i admit daggerfall was a hardly playable game, the clipping was murder and the engine was rusty, well, things got better on TES 3 Morrowind, for people who never played something from the likes of it(just came from daggerfall) found morrowind to be amazing, and didn't notice the clumsy way the character walked and runned...

now people who played TES iv oblivion, and scroll back to morrowind will SURELY notice the badly horrible the player walked, and also think it to be less playable...

enough useless words here, let's talk about i really think about the coming TES:i say this, if it comes with moving hair i'll be a much happier person,weeee

now if it comes with a less clumsy battle sistem(others say this, i love the 1st person combat, makes me remember older games) new graphics, overally all that his antecessor lacked, AND still keeps the TES series way i'll be the happiest person you'll probably find out here, they already took a bite out of oblivion by taking away the classic question system which result in your class depending on your answers, which ROCK(ed)

now VATS???

ok, this kills me,kinect could have a small chance of fitting but VATS on skyrim???

perks already exist so there could be added MORE perks, like a flying spell or armor or even an acessory or race that has wings, so you can fly wherever you want, having dragon riding possibilities as DEFAULT from the game and not via mods, and what could be added too is the carnage!

i know it's not really TES but it's really weird when you:Kill a unarmored guy instantly, with a sword that's bigger than him and he falls on the ground INTACT, without a single scratch nor bleeding nor limbs flying to oblivion...

but yes, let's wait and see, there is no point in being nervous to death even before the game comes to market!

oh and please DO NOT USE THE *not allowed* nor anything similar to get your hands on Skyrim, buy it original, don't be a scumbag or the next version of TES may not be, umm...

like, something like this will happen:OHGOD!!! TES IS COMING, RUUUUUUUUUN!!! :nuke: :down:

ugh, goddamned pirates, why don't you all walk on the plank?

hope you all get thrown to the slaughterfish

or, uh... :blink:

nevermind! :biggrin:

i was just about to get banned from saying "unpolite" words against pirates :devil: :pirate:

that was close!!! :sweat:

oh and i got nothing about custom characters, but, a 10 year old anime puppet carrying a sword two times bigger than it and the classic anime voice can be deadly for oblivion fans and people allergic to animes...

i'm oblivion fan level 255(max,hehe),and i love animes as long as they aren't ruining anything i like!

oh and the water walking perk at acrobatics 100 is actually water jump!

water walk is activated by magic or equipment, and there is no need to jump with timing,so you can sneak on water!

Edited by DragonSlayer667

VATS? I don't use it for FO3 or NV so I would never use it for Skyrim. Perks are good. I loved the melee power attacks in OB and perks along those lines would be a nice addition. Kinect doesn't fit for me.

I HOPE Skyrim isn't a Steam screw job like NV. It is pointless IMO and my rig's security treats it as hostile software.