Need Help: Merchants to sell Mod-Items

ggunster

So I am new to modding and CS but I have basic modding skills. I am using the Dwemer Skyship V2 and I added some merchants to the lower decks. The merchant AI is fine and they have merchant containers that contain basic vanilla items. However, I want these merchants to sell Explosives from Phitt's Explosives mod, as well as other mod added items like bathtubs and bedrolls. I open the Explosives.esp and Dwemer Skyship.esp, and set the Dwemer Skyship as the active file. I put the explosives in the merchant containers, but in game they do not show up. I cannot figure this out so any advice is appreciated. My hunch is that it is because I have the Dwemer Skyship.esp set as active file. Please Help!

:wallbash:

You can't combine mods like that. As you see the results are very poor.

The best practice method is to 1) make sure you have saved your plugin with a unique new name like Skyship Merchants or anything unique you want, (not just modify the existing dwemer skyship plugin as you indicated). 2) do not open two plugins at once as you have done above "I open the Explosives.esp and Dwemer Skyship.esp". Instead, after you have saved your new Skyship Merchants* plugin, reopen it and continue your work by 3) adding the assets from any other mods you would like into this mod.

The best practice method of doing this is to create new meshes and texture folders for this new mod you're making, with a folder structure like this:

Meshes\ggunster\dwemer merchants\weapons\ *assets*

Textures\ggunster\dwemer merchants\weapons\ *assets*

If they're selling armor it will look like:

\ggunster\dwemer merchants\armor\ *assets*

the baths will probably be

\ggunster\dwemer merchants\furniture\ *assets*

Using this method will force you to change the texture paths in Nifskope. A shoddy way to muddle through it is to add the assets from the existing mod's folders, but then you will have to redo it if you do decide to release your mod.

Then you "add new" and add the resources as usual. If you don't know how to do that, just look at the structure of the explosives plugin, note where the explosives are added, I'm assuming under weapons or ammo. click add new, browse to the meshes resource folder discussed above, click the mesh you want, and then add any relevant stats, probably exactly as in the original plugin (use it as your guide, but do not open in the same CS instance).

If you must, you can change the CS ini file to allow multiple instances of the CS for comparison.

Be sure to keep a list of assets you used and get permissions from the authors in case your mod is so cool the world can't live without it.

*or whatever unique name you gave it

I hope this helps, it was quick and dirty and off the cuff.

Edit:

I took a look at Phitt's Explosives, and he used a file structure of :

\meshes\PTBombs

\sound\FX\PTBombs

\textures\PTBombs

(textures\menus\icons\PTBombs)

However, it's not that simple to add his resources into your mod, because his mod is heavily scripted and pretty sophisticated.

In this case, it's ok to create the dependency on his mod, but in order to do that, his mod will need to be "esmified", that is, made into a master which *must be loaded* for your mod to work. There are several alternative methods to do this as well, but my own preferred method would be to use Wrye Bash, with the CS as needed.

An alternative method would be to try combining his explosives mod with your Dwemer Merchants* plugin via the tool called TES4Gecko.

Both of these methods require patience and determination to learn but are worth it, and you can do it if you really want to.

Others may have other workable solutions as well, there are always a variety of ways to come at a problem, and asking around at the Beth forums and other places may yield some good results as well.