You sexists

Lehcar

I can tell you why. It's really simple. It is because

a) It has been done before

b) It met with disaterous consequences.

In "On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society", Lt. Col. Dave Grossman briefly mentions that female soldiers in the Israel Defense Forces have been officially prohibited from serving in close combat military operations since 1948 (in 2001, subsequent to publication, women began serving in IDF combat units on an experimental basis). The reason for removing female soldiers from the front lines is no reflection on the performance of female soldiers, but that of the male infantrymen after witnessing a woman wounded. The IDF saw a complete loss of control over soldiers who apparently experienced an uncontrollable, protective, instinctual aggression.

Basially, the guys wold loose it if the girls got hurt and would put themselves in harm's way to protect them from harm.

It has nothing to do with a sexist attitude or a belief that women aren't as good as men (19 year old ex-cheeleader turned marine sniper picks of an Iraqi insurgent at 2100 yards) - it's something that all boys have drilled into their skulls. Protect the girl.

But my opinion? I hope that you DO get a shot at this :thumbsup:

lechar, you've been awful testy lately

there are mental differences between male and female

i myself would go out of my way to protect a wounded woman, its natural.

but your attitude is not! You should be glad that men would go out of their way to protect you!

there is nothing sexist about PROTECTING the men too

so please, try to calm down... for the sake of the nexus?

Men's behaviour is no reason to blame them women and put THEM out of infantry.

and believe me guys pretty much all HATE me so, I think them taking bullets for me won't be an issue.

Edited by Lehcar

and believe me guys pretty much all HATE me so, I think them taking bullets for me won't be an issue.

im a guy, and i don't hate you

your theory has no proof then, because most people here on the nexus value you! thats a lot of people!

I honestly don't know what your talking about...

Your clearly following stereotypes yourself by saying "why do Americans".

It would be a stupid idea to join the armed forces just because you feel like people are sexist, there are a lot of better things out there to do with your life then getting shot at or listening to the military.

The military acts as a whole, if men do something to protect women that messes up a operation then things have to change. The military tries to work quickly and without error as a whole.

The issue is the culture a lot of people grow up into. You shouldn't blame us for telling you how it is, you should blame the culture that makes it that way.

I don't know, but your rather volatile attitude regarding the matter is likely to:

A. keep you out of the military if you continue to exhibit it, especially in the presence of military officers, and

B. Get you (and possibly others) killed if you did get in.

I'm all in favor of you wanting to fight for your country, whether male or female. It's an easy thing to get behind, But, If you are serious about becoming an infantry soldier, I'd advise you to keep a level head and temper your goal with sensibility. Being infantry isn't just about you. It's about all the other people on the field with you, too. It will serve you and them both well for you to remember this, and approach something like that with a selfless attitude. Just some friendly advice.

Lehcar...they saw the problem and removed what was causing it. That is all.

...and the belief that all men hate you and wouldn't take a bullet for you isn't very keeping with "esprit de corps". Every soldier must trust his/her fellow soldiers to look out for them just as s/he trusts their comerades to do the same. If there is no trust then there is a serious issue and the solution would be the reassignment or discharge of the soldier making problems.

Well, I do come from a family of hardcore military women and men, so I guess that makes my view biased.

then you should understand how the military thinks!

this shouldnt be in any way a problem for you

so, as a drill sergeant would say, GET OVER IT!

not my words, the drill sergeant's words