Listing http://devnull.sweetdanger.net FCOM disinfo

thwap

The FCOM Convergence is a much-ballyhooed meta-modification for Oblivion, and any who use Google or surf Oblivion mod forums, including tesnexus.com, will as of this day find themselves enthusiastically referred to information hosted at http://devnull.sweetdanger.net. This is a disservice to all who'd like to experience FCOM. I thought I'd put together a list of the many errors to be found there, as of today, in hopes of ending it's recommendation for all things FCOM-related. Any who've created mods related to FCOM, or that are FCOM-supported, would be doing the community a great good to remove links to the site from their TesNexus file pages (namely, http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/fcominstall.html and http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/convergence.html ).

Let's examine first the "FCOM Cheat Sheet First-Time User Install Guide" page, last updated over 18 months ago.

-The two links about the official upgrade are dead, so we're off to a great start! But thankfully that's easy enough to find elsewhere, and most newbies will be purchasing a version of the game which includes this upgrade. But still.

-The Wrye Bash and Python and BOSS links work, but the 2 links to files for OOO are dead, and a search of a TesNexus for an .exe OOO installation file of 1.33 finds nothing; neither does a Google search. So even if you want to "follow the directions", it's not possible. The best you can try to do is go to http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15256 and download and use the 1.32, 1.33, and 1.34 patches as instructed. Users of Windows 7 are left to speculate as to whether Vista issues are their inherited problems or not.

-When it comes to MMM, they'd have you install a version since superseded by a version 8 months newer.

-The Fran's 4.5b info provided is temporally out of sync with the way it (or things like it) are prompted in the installation process. With some hunting, you can find the referenced Frans Optional Leveled Quests SI Only file here, btw : http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=17621 . Not that it matters.

-The Oblivion War Cry and Bob's Armory stuff seems straightforward, so no probs there yet.

-FCOM Convergence file page on Tesnexus is referenced; but they don't refer to a particular version to download. I suspect the majority of this page was not fully updated in 3/09, but rather just cut and pasted from the 8/08 referenced credit, and sure enough, it is! I stand corrected; this info isn't 18 months out of date, it's 28 months old!

-The reference to download "Cryo's Ordinator Armor" is to a dead link; you can find it elsewhere searching, tho.

At this point, I'd followed all directions. I can start the game with a new character, but immediately the woman with the King is transparent and has no hair. So there's problems.

Say now you head over to the other page, http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/convergence.html ; is is cross-referenced, after all. Let's check it out!

-The Bethsoft discussion thread link is dead.

-It directs you the Uesp.net wiki FAQ, so now we go deeper down the rabbit hole. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes4Mod:FCOM/FAQ For #4 it has "Help! I have invisible/pink NPCs and huge yellow exclamation marks running around in my game! How did that happen?" That sounds like my situation. First it chastises me for installing things wrong, even though it's pretty hard to do things "right" when no cogent directions have been presented. Then it directs me to a non-existent "OOO Quick Start Guide"!! Nice.

A little link sleuthing shows it's an obvious dumb&dumberer substitution of ".com" for ".net"; it's trying to send us back over to the cesspool at http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/OOO/OOO_Guide.html, for info from late April '09. Any helpful gems to be found here? Why yes! A link to a dead page for OOO 1.33 Complete! http://files.filefront.com/OOO+133+Complete7z/;9705866;/fileinfo.html Nice. But you can find http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.aspx?/planetelderscrolls/fms/files/oblivionmods/3953/OOO_133_Complete_Setup.exe , and follow it with the 1.34 patch from http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15256

The wiki then says maybe I need to edit the Oblivion.ini file to include the FraNewItems.bsa; I check, and it's already there in the SArchiveList. So that's not going to fix the problems in my game. None of the rest of the FAQ is relevant; let's return to the FCOM: Convergence page at http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/convergence.html; maybe there's more info there.

The "OOO Known Issues" link gives no hints to my setup which is as close to the devnull instructions as possible, so that isn't going to help; it doesn't apply.

I have the WarCry1085.b patch. Again they pimp the POS fcominstall.html page; silly gooses!

"Load Order Guides" don't apply to me since I followed their download order to the letter, plus I've used BOSS to correctly order the mods. No mentions of BOSS failures are here, so if they say it auto-orders stuff correctly, who am I to disagree? In Wrye Bash I build the bashed patch, and finally lock down the load order. I'm doing everything as told.

Since I'm starting fresh, I've no need to update saved games.

Now I'm referred to troubleshoot using 300Test.esp that's not present in the latest download of FCOM; you have to dig for it and find it in the 8.9 beta.

I create a character, and create a saved game after the King and entourage enter my cell. Then I exit the game. In Wrye Bash, I enable 300Test.esp. Next I Load my saved game, and 300Test.esp teleports me to the first test room. I toggle through all 29, making notes of the big yellow "WTF mesh" graphic locations and counts, and the black screen problem I seem to have when placing the center hatch on chests or sacks. Despite their trumpeting of this as "a great test module", I find it of no use. How it can help anybody diagnose what's not working is apparently not worth mentioning or linking to, but maybe I'm expecting too much.

At no point does either page address the issue of OBSE, a PCB, Stutter Eliminator, or something like a 4gb_patch.exe; the first an absolute necessity, and the latter three seemingly very good ideas for anybody trying to run FCOM. But I wouldn't know; I can't get it to work, and is it any wonder, really? I can only do as well as the pages to which I'm linked instruct me, and thus far it's pretty horrendous.

So yeah, look over your mods. If you mention any of these pages I've found problematic, why not remove the link? Dissuade people from following these methods. They don't work. What good is it to point people to garbage info? Far better to point them to no info if no good info exists.

Not that it'll do any good, but just to prove that my stuff is in order, here's my load order of Mods listed from Wrye Bash:

Active Mod Files:
00  Oblivion.esm
01  Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm
02  Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm
03  Cobl Main.esm  [Version 1.72]
04  Qarls_Harvest.esm
05  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm  [Version 1.34]
06  Mart's Monster Mod.esm  [Version 3.7b1]
07  TamrielTravellers.esm  [Version 1.39c]
08  FCOM_Convergence.esm  [Version 0.9.9a7]
09  Kvatch Rebuilt.esm
0A  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.2.0]
0B  UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp  [Version 1.0.0]
0C  Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
0D  DLCShiveringIsles.esp
0E  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.4.0]
0F  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses.esp
10  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies.esp
11  Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp
12  Francesco's Optional Leveled Quests-SI only.esp
13  Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp
++  Francesco's Dark Seducer Weapons Patch.esp
++  FCOM_Francescos.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_FrancescosItemsAddOn.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
14  FCOM_FrancescosNamedBosses.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
15  Fran Armor Add-on.esp
16  Fran_Lv30Item_Maltz.esp
17  Qarls_Harvest.esp
18  Purge Cell Buffers - Loading.esp  [Version 1.0.0]
19  DLCHorseArmor.esp
1A  DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
1B  DLCOrrery.esp
1C  DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.3]
1D  DLCVileLair.esp
1E  DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
1F  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
20  DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.4]
21  DLCSpellTomes.esp
++  DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
22  DLCThievesDen.esp
23  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
24  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp  [Version 1.0.4]
25  ExnemRuneskulls.esp
++  FCOM_ExnemRuneskulls.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
26  Slof's Oblivion Robe Trader.esp
27  Cobl Glue.esp  [Version 1.72]
28  Cobl Si.esp  [Version 1.63]
29  Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp
2A  FCOM_BobsArmory.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
2B  Loth's Blunt Weapons for Npcs.esp
++  FCOM_LothsBluntWeapons.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
2C  Oblivion WarCry EV.esp
2D  FCOM_WarCry.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
2E  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp  [Version 1.34]
++  FCOM_Cobl.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
2F  FCOM_Convergence.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
30  FCOM_OscurosOverhaul.esp  [Version 0.9.8]
++  FCOM_EntropicOrderRebalance.esp  [Version 0.9.9beta2]
31  FCOM_RealSwords.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_SpawnRatesStronger.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_SaferRoads.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_NoAdventurersInGates.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  Mart's Monster Mod - Looting NPCs & Creatures.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3]
++  Mart's Monster Mod - Less Bone Loot.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3]
32  Mart's Monster Mod - Vindasel.esp  [Version 3.7b1]
33  Mart's Monster Mod - Dungeons of MMM.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3]
34  Mart's Monster Mod - Gems & Gem Dust.esp  [Version 3.5.5b4]
35  Mart's Monster Mod - Hunting & Crafting.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3]
++  TamrielTravellerAdvScript.esp  [Version 1.39c]
36  TamrielTravellers4OOO.esp  [Version 1.39c]
37  TamrielTravellersItemsCobl.esp  [Version 1.39c]
38  ShiveringIsleTravellers.esp  [Version 1.39c]
++  ShiveringIsleTravellersFriendlyFactions.esp  [Version 1.39c]
++  FCOM_TamrielTravelers.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_DiverseGuardUnity.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_BobsGuardUnity.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_HungersUnitySI.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
39  FCOM_MoreRandomSpawns.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
3A  FCOM_MoreRandomItems.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
3B  TIE In.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - ExnemRuneskulls.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - Cobl.esp  [Version 1.2b]
3C  TIE In - FCOM Convergence.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - RealSwords.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - MMM Gems.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - MMM Craft.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - DiverseGuardUnity.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - BobsGuardUnity.esp  [Version 1.2b]
3D  OOO-WaterFish.esp  [Version 1.34]
3E  Kvatch Rebuilt.esp
3F  Kvatch Rebuilt - Leveled Guards - FCOM.esp
40  VHBloodlines 1.2.esp  [Version 1.4]
41  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
42  DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.4]
43  DLCFrostcrag.esp
44  DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.4]
45  Knights.esp
46  Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.9]
++  TIE In - Knights.esp  [Version 1.2b]
47  TOTF.esp
48  Ungarion1TheWelkyndSword.esp  [Version 1.4]
49  Blood&Mud.esp
4A  MannimarcoRevisited.esp
4B  MannimarcoWardrobeChest.esp
4C  FCOM_Blood&Mud.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_Knights.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_WelkyndSwordBlood&Mud.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_Ruin.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_SlofsRobeTrader.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
++  FCOM_UnofficialFranArmorAddon.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
4D  Salmo the Baker, Cobl.esp  [Version 3.08]
4E  Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp  [Version 3.2.0]
++  TIE In - Rebalance.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - Salmo, Cobl.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - QarlsHarvest.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - SlofsHorses.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - Castle Almgard v2.esp
++  TIE In - Valley View Estate.esp
++  TIE In - VHBloodlines 1.2.esp
++  TIE In - Malevolent.esp
++  TIE In - TOTF.esp
++  TIE In - B&M.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - WelkyndSword B&M.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - MannimarcoRevisited.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - SentientWeapon.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - Kvatch Rebuilt.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - DLCOrrery.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - DLCThievesDen.esp  [Version 1.2b]
++  TIE In - DLCFrostcrag.esp  [Version 1.2b]
4F  Denock Arrows.esp
++  Mart's Monster Mod - Resized Races.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3]
50  Cobl Races.esp  [Version 1.52]
++  FCOM_Archery.esp  [Version 0.9.9]
51  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Finally, the referenced Bethsoft thread at http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1152645-relz-fcom-convergence-and-ufcom/ links the same junk. Are these supposed to just be oversights? Has anybody had success following it's directions? I'm not going to try unless fresh people testify. There were plenty of testimonials endorsing the crap above, and it just plain don't work.

• 1 month later...

I didn't read everything, but I read enough to help you with ONE of your problems.

I, also, had a transparent lady at the game's beginning. I briefly went into my oblivion Data folder to find a folder titled "OOO." In this folder, I found a meshes, textures, sounds, etc related to OOO. I cut these and pasted them 1 directory up, into the data folder, and I merged them with the others. However, I chose not to copy the 82 files, because I assumed they were modified by other stuff. I could have eroneously not overwritten them, and I'm a bit nervous about that, but the lady was no longer transparent. I didn't overwrite them assuming that the OOO 1.34b patch or MMM or fransisco modified them, but I might have screwed up. The very 1st "do you want to overwrite?" question told me that what was already there was (newer), so I didn't bother reading the rest of them.

In any case, check out your data folder and manually go through the 82 files and make certain the newest copy is saved to your HDD. That's how I think this stuff works.

I went to Vilverin and killed some skeletal shaman thingies, so I think some of my mod is working. I saw cool weapons too, like a bone ax. I'm not sure if I got it all right, though.

I followed the instructions found here, and I made certain I used MMM 3.5.5 and 3.7 beta1, not beta3. I already tried beta 3 and failed, so I just tried something expected to be more established with FCOM.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/924363-the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/48544847

Edited by ManBearPig916

• 3 months later...

Which is why I didn't follow that outdated info. :D FCOM is working fine now.

But yeah somebody needs to update that site, or at least provide a reliable link that's updated regularly on how to install FCOM. I followed this very basic guide, which is designed to get your FCOM game up and running as quickly and as smoothly as possible. I went the BAIN installation route, and I can verify that it works perfectly as advertised. After you get it up and running, you can see to some of the optional stuff that the guide doesn't particularly mention.

The info in devnull for FCOM has been out of date for a very VERY long time now. It used to be good (that site belongs to dev_akm, who created FCOM in the first place), but pretty much every single mod it touches has now received a major update, and FCOM has already received several unofficial updates at this point to cover all that has changed, and to fix bugs.

The most up-to-date info on how to install FCOM can be found on the forum thread at the Bethesda forums now.

Edited by Thomas Kaira

Firstly, FCOM worked for me when I used their instructions - but then that was a year or so back and the mods were lower version numbers I expect.

Secondly, I've also used uFCOM OMOD setup to install - also worked fine - about six months back

Thirdly, I have also used the FCOM Superpack about 4 months ago - v4.01 I think it was - and used their instructions, and ended up with a fully working setup (albeit with a few mods I wouldn't have chosen as options).

In all three cases I had minimal debugging afterwards - the first time I had missing mesh problems in the tutorial dungeon but that was just the version of OOO I'd used, and a mesh replacer for rusty weapons fixed it.

I'm running Windows 7, Oblivion installed to C:\Games\Oblivion, SI, all DLCs, fully patched and fully unofficially patched, before I started.

As the quote goes - your mileage may vary.

I installed FCOM using the info from http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1115084-relz-fcom-convergence-and-ufcom-66/ and only had one problem when I incorrectly bashed my patches. Read back and realized I forgot to tag and merge some.

EDIT: Not sure if it matters, but this one is actually the newest thread: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1192165-relz-fcom-convergence-and-ufcom/

Edited by luxwing0go