whats happened

strikerdes

No problems from that file on my end. I've been using it for ages and the Megaupload file is clean from my reports.

GreatLucifer: I understand you want to be cautious but by what you've said you haven't actually checked the file, you're only going on a warning of other users. Other users can falsely report problems and tarnish a file just as easily as they can hype it up. You need to actually scan the file yourself before just assuming by word of mouth that it's infected. To add further to this... I've seen many many of times where people come here to TESNexus and report downloads as being infected when clearly they are not. They may have had a virus previously or it could just be a false positive. And since the folks reporting that file would be the same folks that would come here (Megaupload) it's very likely a handful of people falsely reported the file as malicious and now McAfee is just warning you of these reports, not of actual infection.

No problems from that file on my end. I've been using it for ages and the Megaupload file is clean from my reports.

GreatLucifer: I understand you want to be cautious but by what you've said you haven't actually checked the file, you're only going on a warning of other users. Other users can falsely report problems and tarnish a file just as easily as they can hype it up. You need to actually scan the file yourself before just assuming by word of mouth that it's infected. To add further to this... I've seen many many of times where people come here to TESNexus and report downloads as being infected when clearly they are not. They may have had a virus previously or it could just be a false positive. And since the folks reporting that file would be the same folks that would come here (Megaupload) it's very likely a handful of people falsely reported the file as malicious and now McAfee is just warning you of these reports, not of actual infection.

Does McAfee use a warning system based on user reporting?

I also want to clarify something. I got the malware from either three sources: File itself, Megaupload website, or from TESNexus. I personally doubt the file itself contained the virus. I suspect the other two, and highly suspect TESNexus since it is notorious for having attacks via advertising. Regardless, I had all three going at the same time, so I cannot really point the finger at any single one. Incidently, I had my Anti-virus and Malware blocker up and they did not catch it. The shop cleaner said this virus was a pretty bad one too. He said it had several layers to it.

I'd also like to state for the record that I still plan on using the files once I download them onto a different computer, one that I can jsut simply wipe the harddrive if needed.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Oh yes, you may very well be right. Rather said, you probably are. But that's where my extreme caution steps in, seeing as I've had 11 (:blink: !) trojans sofar, and will not risk anything to get another one... (once even from google, go figure...)

But let me emphasize, this just goes for me. You are probably right, and other people could still download this.

Lucifer

Does McAfee use a warning system based on user reporting?

I haven't used McAfee in about two years and honestly cannot remember exactly, but by the way GreatLucifer worded his earlier post, emphasized with quotes, it would seem so.

McAfee stated that "too much users had reported this file", and advised me to leave it alone... which I did.