Idiots Question

itsonlydanny

Hi,

I know that I will stand exposed to the world as an idiot for asking this :biggrin: , but how exactly - using FOMM - do you install mods which only contain a .FOMOD file? That is, do you select 'Add FOMod', 'Create FOMod', 'Create from Folder', 'Add PFP', etc. For example, the Desert Succubus Core mod contains only one file - ie, 'Shiloh DS - DS-CORE 1.02 Beta.fomod' - and when I selected it with 'Add FOMod', it said 'file name/extension not recognised' (or something like that), etc. Should I extract it into a separate folder, leave it as it is, or something else.

Also, in a related question, what should I do with mods that contain both .ESP files and .FOMOD files? Like, for instance, the Centred Third Person Camera mod, which in its Read Me file says:

"MANUAL INSTALLATION

1. Place the esp files in your Fallout New Vegas data directory.

2. From the launcher, go to Data Files and select the esp that you wish to use.

3. Enjoy!

MOD MANAGER INSTALLATION

1. Place the .fomod files in your Mods folder.

2. Activate the mod that you wish to use through the mod manager's Package Manger

3. Enjoy!"

But I'm still not entirely sure what this means with regards the 'Mod Manger' option - by using 'Add FOMod' , which means it has to be a compressed format? Or by putting the .FOMOD file in a separate folder of its own? Etc etc.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

DANNY

Hi!

I dunno. U seem to have a talent to make something easy sound so hard! :geek:

How about the filename of your fomod? Yea add fomod it just works on any .fomod file and the fomm is gonna put a copy of the file into the mods folder thats inside the main game folder.

but i dont think its good to have extra period in the filename. so make it called Shiloh DS - DS-CORE 102 Beta.fomod or something like that (-CORE 1.02 Beta.fom <-just get rid of the extra period)

Create from folder button is for when u want to install your mod as a fomod but its not packed into a fomod yet. U should do this everytime when its not a fomod already!

how exactly - using FOMM - do you install mods which only contain a .FOMOD file? That is, do you select 'Add FOMod', 'Create FOMod', 'Create from Folder', 'Add PFP', etc. For example, the Desert Succubus Core mod contains only one file - ie, 'Shiloh DS - DS-CORE 1.02 Beta.fomod' - and when I selected it with 'Add FOMod', it said 'file name/extension not recognised' (or something like that), etc. Should I extract it into a separate folder, leave it as it is, or something else.

Also, in a related question, what should I do with mods that contain both .ESP files and .FOMOD files?

You need to specify a folder where FOMM can find your FOMOD's, if you haven't done it already (this is done under Settings in the main FOMM window).

After putting the .FOMOD file in the appropriate folder (you only need the .FOMOD file, it's a sort of archive that is packed with the necessary resources), click on Package Manager.

The list of .FOMOD's you have should appear in the window to the left.

Ignore the Add FOMod button, just select the .FOMOD in the previously mentioned window, click on Activate and the mod gets installed.

If a mod comes in both .esp and .FOMOD format and the readme states states you should use only one of them, not both, then using only one of the formats is exactly what you should do; if you put the .FOMOD file in the FOMOD folder specified in FOMM you don't have to worry about the .esp file and whatnot.