CTD when loading a save game and starting new game

rickard767

I recently deleted my Skyrim character which I usally play on because the save game had gotten corrupt (I think). Every time I loaded the game it would crash after 2-3 seconds, or instantly sometimes. (Oh and by the way I dont know if this is important information but on this character the game worked fine in the night in skyrim, but around 7-8 in the morning the game would crash)

I tried everything for example cleaning scripts, removing all mods, testing the mods one by one, sorting my load order with LOOT, editing ini files. It would still crash. So I deactivated all mods (about 100-115 mods I think) and started a new game.

After I got out of helgen I activated all mods again and it worked fine. But on my way to whiterun it crashed again so I loaded the game again and it crashed again, but this time even faster after loading the game. It has made my Skyrim unplayable and I really want to play it. I think I have tried everything but nothing works. My best guess would be mod conflicts but I have literally no idea :)

My specs:

i7 4770k 3.5 GHz (Haswell)

GTX 760 2GB

16GB ram

SSD 250GB

I recently deleted my Skyrim character which I usally play on because the save game had gotten corrupt (I think). Every time I loaded the game it would crash after 2-3 seconds, or instantly sometimes. (Oh and by the way I dont know if this is important information but on this character the game worked fine in the night in skyrim, but around 7-8 in the morning the game would crash)

I tried everything for example cleaning scripts, removing all mods, testing the mods one by one, sorting my load order with LOOT, editing ini files. It would still crash. So I deactivated all mods (about 100-115 mods I think) and started a new game.

After I got out of helgen I activated all mods again and it worked fine. But on my way to whiterun it crashed again so I loaded the game again and it crashed again, but this time even faster after loading the game. It has made my Skyrim unplayable and I really want to play it. I think I have tried everything but nothing works. My best guess would be mod conflicts but I have literally no idea :smile:

My specs:

GTX 760 2GB

16GB ram

SSD 250GB

One or more of your mods must be cuasing the CTD.....test them manually, start with 5, if it doesn't crash, add another 5 etc :smile:

They have done this method already and it has not worked. I have issues with savegames all the time and have found no fix for it either and I use a secure 6 autosave and 3 manual-save method...and most times 7 of the 9 saves will not work. There is a serious problem with the way Skyrim saves its data, and so far nobody knows (or cares) how to fix it properly.

I hate to be a useless replier to your problem rickard, but I suffer from save-game mess-ups every single day and honestly all I can advise you to do is make multiple saves and back-up any previous ones that you confirm worked. I just this minute suffered a fatal 9/9 save error and lost all of them and had to revert to a save I made yesterday which lost 8+ hours of progress.

One or more of your mods must be cuasing the CTD.....test them manually, start with 5, if it doesn't crash, add another 5 etc :smile:

I did that too. I noticed that the game works perfect until I head for whiterun (or any other direction for that matter :D). Thats when I CTD :(

After I got out of helgen I activated all mods again and it worked fine. But on my way to whiterun it crashed again so I loaded the game again and it crashed again, but this time even faster after loading the game. It has made my Skyrim unplayable and I really want to play it. I think I have tried everything but nothing works. My best guess would be mod conflicts but I have literally no idea :smile:

My specs:

GTX 760 2GB

16GB ram

SSD 250GB

They have done this method already and it has not worked. I have issues with savegames all the time and have found no fix for it either and I use a secure 6 autosave and 3 manual-save method...and most times 7 of the 9 saves will not work. There is a serious problem with the way Skyrim saves its data, and so far nobody knows (or cares) how to fix it properly.

I hate to be a useless replier to your problem rickard, but I suffer from save-game mess-ups every single day and honestly all I can advise you to do is make multiple saves and back-up any previous ones that you confirm worked. I just this minute suffered a fatal 9/9 save error and lost all of them and had to revert to a save I made yesterday which lost 8+ hours of progress.

None of my saves work. They all crash upon loading. Except my new game where im Riverwood. The game and mods work perfectly while im in riverwood but as soon as I leave riverwood and head for whiterun it crashes.

Do you have any mods that alter the environment, NPCs or questlines? Because once you leave Riverwood several differnt NPC events trigger. One as you head down the hill towards Honningbrew (Imperial patrol) and another outside Whiterun Stables (the Companions). If you crash each time when you reach a certain spot like these then it is highly likely an incorrectly installed file (by the game) or a broken mod.

Hi

We really need your load list & specs to help effectively.

As it is I can only recommend that you use Skyrim Performance Monitor to see if you are having a hardware issue. 7 to 8 in the morning is when the NPCs that leave Whitrun are still in the cell. If you use body mods, traveler mods & spawning mods it can be a big hit on your system.

For example, in 2013 I could not go from Riverwood to Whiterun without at least 2 CTDs. My play time between CTDs was 15 to 20 minutes in other areas. At the time I had a GTX 670 2gb. I replaced it with a GTX 680 4gb & my play time shot up to an average of 6 hours. The alternative was to cut back on mods.

The wrong combination of spawn mods can kill that area. I found that out when I added one to many of that type of mod. When I say kill I mean CTDs at every turn. Removing the mod & cleaning the save got things working again.

The only mod now that gives me CTDs in that area is Syrim Immersive Creatures. If I get a CTD I reload & wait or walk a different way.

Later

Hi

As it is I can only recommend that you use Skyrim Performance Monitor to see if you are having a hardware issue. 7 to 8 in the morning is when the NPCs that leave Whitrun are still in the cell. If you use body mods, traveler mods & spawning mods it can be a big hit on your system.

For example, in 2013 I could not go from Riverwood to Whiterun without at least 2 CTDs. My play time between CTDs was 15 to 20 minutes in other areas. At the time I had a GTX 670 2gb. I replaced it with a GTX 680 4gb & my play time shot up to an average of 6 hours. The alternative was to cut back on mods.

The wrong combination of spawn mods can kill that area. I found that out when I added one to many of that type of mod. When I say kill I mean CTDs at every turn. Removing the mod & cleaning the save got things working again.

The only mod now that gives me CTDs in that area is Syrim Immersive Creatures. If I get a CTD I reload & wait or walk a different way.

Later

This is my current load order. I am currently trying a few mods at the time but it doesnt work, it still crashes. Now that I come to think of it, the crashes may be caused by my recently installed dawnguard. But I have literally no idea.
GameMode=Skyrim
Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm=0
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm=0
ApachiiHair.esm=0
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm=0
ApachiiHairMales.esm=0
JSwords.esm=1
SkyMoMod.esm=0
ApachiiHairFemales.esm=0
No NPC Greetings.esp=0
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
RV markers.esp=0
Baraban-Steel-Plate.esp=1
brawlbug-plugin.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp=0
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp=0
RaceMenu.esp=1
TrueStorms.esp=0
JaxonzRenamer.esp=0
Baraban-Steel-Helms.esp=1
Convenient Horses.esp=0
WetandCold.esp=1
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp=0
TrueStorms-ClimatesOfTamriel.esp=0
HDTPhysicsWeaponSling.esp=1
DeadlyCombat.esp=0
ETaC - Falkreath.esp=0
ETaC - Morthal.esp=0
ETaC - Dawnstar.esp=0
lpsleep.esp=0
ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-2.esp=0
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp=0
ETaC - Rorikstead.esp=1
ETaC - Riverwood.esp=1
SMDropLitTorch.esp=0
Primal Fear - Dynamic.esp=0
Headtracking.esp=0
Customizable Camera.esp=1
Immersive NPC in the dark.esp=0
iHUD.esp=0
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp=0
Knightranger Archer's Armor.esp=0
Luna.esp=1
360WalkandRunPlus-RunBackwardSpeedAdjust.esp=1
Purewaters.esp=1
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp=1
better_torches_brighter_torchlight.esp=0
Helsmyrr.esp=0
RealShelter.esp=0
RSPatch.esp=0
realistic piercing arrows.esp=0
ETaC - Dragon Bridge.esp=0
Immersive Orc Strongholds.esp=0
ETaC - Kynesgrove.esp=0
ETaC - Ivarstead.esp=0
Complete Solitude.esp=0
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp=1
OBIS.esp=0
Immersive Whiterun.esp=1
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp=1
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp=1
ETaC - Karthwasten.esp=0
ETaC - Darkwater Crossing.esp=0
fmstables.esp=0
KoTG.esp=1
Immersive Weapons.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
Immersive Stonehills.esp=0
Cloaks.esp=0
UnrelentingForceSpell.esp=1
Run For Your Lives.esp=0
Ultimate Witcher MOD.esp=1
Immersive Shors Stone.esp=0
Added_Killmoves_All_Weapons+Last_Enemy_Limit_Removed+Player_cannot_be_killmoved.esp=1
No_3rd_Person_killcam-3rd_Person_only-Above-Behind.esp=1
OBISDB.esp=0
1nivWICCloaks.esp=0
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp=0
SFO - Dragonborn.esp=0
Clanking Armor.esp=0
HeavyImperialLegion.esp=1
Baraban-Dawnguard-Plate.esp=1
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp=0
dD-Dawnguard-MonsterMod EBT Patch.esp=0
SMIM-Merged-NoDragonborn.esp=0
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp=0
ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp=0
JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp=1
Immersive Patrols II.esp=0
Supreme Storms - Cot Version.esp=0
CoT-WeatherPatch_SupStorms.esp=0
TradeBarter.esp=0
TrueStorms-SupremeStorms-CoT.esp=1
UnreadBooksGlow.esp=0
Windfull Skyrim.esp=1
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp=1
quest_pitfighter.esp=0
NPCsOnHorses.esp=0
Equipping Overhaul.esp=1
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp=0
killmoverandom-50-P-L.esp=1
decap_chance_40.esp=1
UGCustum.esp=0
_longer_lasting_torches.esp=0
Celtic Music in Skyrim 2.0.esp=0
Celtic Music in Skyrim - Dungeons v1.1.esp=0
Celtic Music in Skyrim - Combat.esp=0
skyrim unbound.esp=0

Hi

Later

This is my current load order. I am currently trying a few mods at the time but it doesnt work, it still crashes. Now that I come to think of it, the crashes may be caused by my recently installed dawnguard. But I have literally no idea.
GameMode=Skyrim
Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm=0
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm=0
ApachiiHair.esm=0
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm=0
ApachiiHairMales.esm=0
JSwords.esm=1
SkyMoMod.esm=0
ApachiiHairFemales.esm=0
No NPC Greetings.esp=0
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
RV markers.esp=0
Baraban-Steel-Plate.esp=1
brawlbug-plugin.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp=0
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp=0
RaceMenu.esp=1
TrueStorms.esp=0
JaxonzRenamer.esp=0
Baraban-Steel-Helms.esp=1
Convenient Horses.esp=0
WetandCold.esp=1
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp=0
TrueStorms-ClimatesOfTamriel.esp=0
HDTPhysicsWeaponSling.esp=1
DeadlyCombat.esp=0
ETaC - Falkreath.esp=0
ETaC - Morthal.esp=0
ETaC - Dawnstar.esp=0
lpsleep.esp=0
ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-2.esp=0
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp=0
ETaC - Rorikstead.esp=1
ETaC - Riverwood.esp=1
SMDropLitTorch.esp=0
Primal Fear - Dynamic.esp=0
Headtracking.esp=0
Customizable Camera.esp=1
Immersive NPC in the dark.esp=0
iHUD.esp=0
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp=0
Knightranger Archer's Armor.esp=0
Luna.esp=1
360WalkandRunPlus-RunBackwardSpeedAdjust.esp=1
Purewaters.esp=1
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp=1
better_torches_brighter_torchlight.esp=0
Helsmyrr.esp=0
RealShelter.esp=0
RSPatch.esp=0
realistic piercing arrows.esp=0
ETaC - Dragon Bridge.esp=0
Immersive Orc Strongholds.esp=0
ETaC - Kynesgrove.esp=0
ETaC - Ivarstead.esp=0
Complete Solitude.esp=0
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp=1
OBIS.esp=0
Immersive Whiterun.esp=1
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp=1
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp=1
ETaC - Karthwasten.esp=0
ETaC - Darkwater Crossing.esp=0
fmstables.esp=0
KoTG.esp=1
Immersive Weapons.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
Immersive Stonehills.esp=0
Cloaks.esp=0
UnrelentingForceSpell.esp=1
Run For Your Lives.esp=0
Ultimate Witcher MOD.esp=1
Immersive Shors Stone.esp=0
Added_Killmoves_All_Weapons+Last_Enemy_Limit_Removed+Player_cannot_be_killmoved.esp=1
No_3rd_Person_killcam-3rd_Person_only-Above-Behind.esp=1
OBISDB.esp=0
1nivWICCloaks.esp=0
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp=0
SFO - Dragonborn.esp=0
Clanking Armor.esp=0
HeavyImperialLegion.esp=1
Baraban-Dawnguard-Plate.esp=1
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp=0
dD-Dawnguard-MonsterMod EBT Patch.esp=0
SMIM-Merged-NoDragonborn.esp=0
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp=0
ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp=0
JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp=1
Immersive Patrols II.esp=0
Supreme Storms - Cot Version.esp=0
CoT-WeatherPatch_SupStorms.esp=0
TradeBarter.esp=0
TrueStorms-SupremeStorms-CoT.esp=1
UnreadBooksGlow.esp=0
Windfull Skyrim.esp=1
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp=1
quest_pitfighter.esp=0
NPCsOnHorses.esp=0
Equipping Overhaul.esp=1
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp=0
killmoverandom-50-P-L.esp=1
decap_chance_40.esp=1
UGCustum.esp=0
_longer_lasting_torches.esp=0
Celtic Music in Skyrim 2.0.esp=0
Celtic Music in Skyrim - Dungeons v1.1.esp=0
Celtic Music in Skyrim - Combat.esp=0
skyrim unbound.esp=0

Do you have any mods that alter the environment, NPCs or questlines? Because once you leave Riverwood several differnt NPC events trigger. One as you head down the hill towards Honningbrew (Imperial patrol) and another outside Whiterun Stables (the Companions). If you crash each time when you reach a certain spot like these then it is highly likely an incorrectly installed file (by the game) or a broken mod.

Ofcourse I do. But I have never had any problems earlier, just a few CTD:s and freezes from time to time but nothing like this. Now my game is basically unplayable :(